Go Canada — I mean, Calgary!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Awimoway, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Okay. I'm not a hockey fan. I'm not Canadian. But sometimes Stanley Cup hockey is watchable, and I'm watching game 6 tonight and I'm rooting for Calgary. I think it's a shame America syphoned off most of the NHL's teams from Canada even though most communities in America don't give a damn about the sport. Just because we're a little richer and more populous doesn't make us good fans. So I always pull for the Canadian teams when they compete against American ones. It's a real shame that we've imported something most of us don't care about when it's practically the state religion of Canada. I don't know what the hell Florida is doing with a hockey team. What a joke. So go Flames. I hope tonight's your night.

2. mkubal macrumors 6502a

come on now

Well sorry to hear that you don't like hockey. I love it. I live in Tampa. GO BOLTS!

The fact that the team is in Florida really doesn't matter. If no one really cared about hockey here then there wouldn't be teams here. Many people from up north come to Florida when they retire and so there are plenty of people here that are avid hockey fans. And what's wrong with trying to get other people excited about a sport they never cared for before.

As much as you may think I should, I'm certainly not going to feel ashamed for living in Florida and supporting my local hockey team.

Matt

3. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

you shouldn't feel ashamed.

despite that, GO FLAMES!!!

and by the way, that goal was in :D

4. mkubal macrumors 6502a

ha

I'm gonna go with "he kicked it in," but the league says it didn't cross the line. And the league is God. Deal with it. :p

GO BOLTS!

Matt

5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Sorry all you Bolt fans but Calgary will take it home on Monday! :D

6. ltgator333 macrumors member

Hockey... now you've gotten me started

@#$% Canada and hockey.. just kidding lol

I agree, the state of NHL hockey in Canada is suprisingly bad... but, to be honest if the league were to expand I think you would be seeing a new team in Canada just as likely as a new one in the US, or if a team moved it wouldn't be outrageous for them to go to Canada. But, the teams currently in Cananda could do a lot better by themselves, Toronto has been loaded with talent for years, so has Montreal, and Ottawa is not a bad team either... and yet none of those teams are in the finals. Vancouver could be a monster if they get over the Todd Bertuzzi thing (I don't think he should play in the NHL again... Steve Moore wont) and Calgary has proved themselves a worthy opponent...
    Now, on to the subject of Calgary..
    The Calgary Flames this year are like last year's Anaheim Mighty Ducks... nodoby in their right mind figured they'd honestly be one game away from Stanley cup champions, and yet here they are. Calgary is, with the exception of Iginla, a buch of cast-offs and nobodys basicly. They play dirty and I don't like them, I'm cheering for Tampa Bay- a young team full of skill players that will be around for years to come, a potential dynasty. Whether Calgary brings home a cup or not, they will not be in the cup finals next year, plain and simple.
    And, just because Miika Kiprusoff can get down into his butterfly in .4 seconds doesn't make him good... he just opens up the top shelf for Martin St. Louis .2 seconds faster than any other goalie ever.....

7. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

yeah, its funny, in montreal, you got a bit of a split.
    i'm definitely going for calgary, cause i like canada. but a lot of folks here are going for tampa, cause two of their best players are from montreal, lecavalier and st louis.
    but yeah, i think that every hockey team should be required to have at least one game a year at an outside, naturally frozen rink in their city. if that city never sees ice or snow, then it shouldn't have a hockey team.
    Now the montreal/boston series. That was awesome. Two of the original six, playing against eachother for like the 40th time in the playoffs.

...and we came back from 3-1 in the series.
    and i don't care how quickly we lost to tampa, each game was real tight. good enough for me and the rest of my city.

8. ltgator333 macrumors member

ice and hockey

I've heard this from another guy that is an engineer at my shop about "there's no naturally occuring ice in Tampa Bay so they can't have hockey"... I'm from Michigan which.. I can drive to Canada whenver it's no big deal, I play hockey probably once a week average for part of the year... u know how many times a year I play hockey on ice? once or twice... roller hockey in the driveway is widely played.

you don't need ice to play hockey!!

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I agree with everything you said. :)

However, if a US city clearly supports their hockey, then its cool. I mean, Canadian teams can't survive for too long because they don't sell tickets in US dollars. Its simple. And even with the NHL's "salary currency compensation" program-thingy, its still not extremely feasible for most Canadian cities to support an NHL team because we simply don't have the population! The NHL is such a money-driven operation that a city outside of Montreal, Toronto, and Van-city can't support hockey at a safe level. Not enough people. If it was just about the proportion of people who love hockey to death, Canada would have waaaay more teams. Even Ottawa has trouble getting support, and they're good! American cities with an NHL team are generally more populous, so their lack of support is made up by their huge population.

10. Awimoway thread starter macrumors 65816

And I agree with everything you said. Certainly "Hockey Town" Detroit and other U.S. cities with historically established hockey teams are not out of place in the NHL. And when they play, I wouldn't necessarily root against them if they were up against a Canadian team.

I kind of like that outside-ice rule. I don't mean Floridians can't root for the Lightning. I just can't help but think that a hockey team in Arizona, Texas, the Carolinas, Florida, etc. is nothing more than a flavor-of-the-month that few there take seriously. It's undignified. I'm rather proud of my own hometown of Seattle, despite being in the north, resisting the me-too urge to have a hockey team. Seattle has no hockey tradition and it shouldn't ever try to manufacture one.

(Of course, the outside-ice rule doesn't totally hold up. Vancouver would be disqualified. :p )

11. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

go the flames........

........ hey, if you had to have naturally occuring ice to play hockey i would never have been able to play....... i grew up in Sydney (Oz) and used to play pee-wees/bantams.

go the flames, kick some seppo butt. :cool:

12. womencantsail macrumors member

We don't have any ice out here in the Bay Area, but I sure do love the Sharks. As do many of my friends.

I think the reason that hockey isn't as popular here in the US is that people haven't really just watched the sport. I mean, if you site down a watch a hockey game it's very difficult to not enjoy it. And from there you watch another, and another, etc., and then you're a hockey fan ;).

Anyways, Go Flames Go.