GO COLTS!!! (and NFL Playoff Discussions)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jovian9, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

As the title implies, I am a Colts fan. I have lived in Indiana all 26.5 years of my life.....longer than the Colts have been here. Finally the year has come that the Colts are going to win the Super Bowl. Sure they are not a powerhouse defensive team....but they are extremely exciting to watch. And they are perhaps the best offensive team in the history of the NFL.
    I believe they will be playing the Steelers in the AFC Championship Game (but I hope they play the Jets....that way they will have a better record and the game will be in Indy so that I can go).
    I'm also rooting for the Vikings (I hate the Eagles) and Falcons to meet in the NFC title game with the Vikings playing the Colts in the Super Bowl.
    Any other Colts fans in here.....or haters?
    Indy vs N.E. Sunday @ 4:30pm
    GO COLTS!

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Well I am cheering for colts over pats.....

Manning was montana-esk last week, like a god!

I wish my panthers had made it, but such are injuries, look out next season, grrrrr.

Ya the colts are hot, good luck!

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't hate the Colts, have the upmost respect. The Colts are in the playoffs because the deserve the chance. My loyalty though lies with the Patriots. May the best team win. The comments locally are that the team that makes the least mistakes will win. Preparation seems to be the key along with focus.

Go Patriots!

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I'm personally riding the vikings as my dark horse. culpepper was my fantasy QB all season so I ended up following them kinda close and since the bears missed the playoffs again, I root for anyone from the north except the packers. I would also like to see the Rams win again, two 8-8 teams battling it out for the NFC title, it would be so strange and fun.

for the NFC, how can you avoid the colts, if they can overcome the Pats I really don't seem anything stopping them. The weird thing about the pats defense is that all year its looked to be getting worse and worse yet they have survived with a next to flawless record ....

one mroe vote for vikings and colts, that would be a high scoring superbowl for sure ...

also at first I thought joe buck said " randy moss just shot the bird" at the crowd and i was like wow, he can't be that dumb to flick off the crowd at lambeau .... overall tho it wasn't a big deal and the media needs to move on.

5. armchainmstenw macrumors member

Come on. It's all about the 'burgh. Steelers all the way.

6. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Same here Go Colts! They wooped the Broncos butt last Sunday. Since the KC Chiefs didn't have a good season this year, I'm for the Colts :)

7. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Much respect to the Patriots too.....I don't like them but BB is an awesome coach............and for Mannings career, the Patriots have owned him.

Here's to hoping for one of the greatest games ever b/t the Colts and Pats this Sunday....and that Manning can overcome them.

Go Colts!

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'll put it in a way geeks can understand

Patriots > *

9. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

I am a huge Broncos fan. I hope the Colts get smoked, and they will.

The Pats are the most solid team in football, except maybe the stealers. Oh, and the fact they are the underdog doesn't hurt either. The more people that think Indy can win, the more of a chance the Pats have to take his legs out from under him.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Jovian9,
    I used to live in Indiana, where abouts are you from?

If the Colts D can step up the Colts will win the Super Bowl. Too bad the Colt's D rarely steps up (it's 28th in the league). Once you get into the playoffs you can't expect the offense to tow 90% of the load (which it does for the Colts) especially when you'll be facing teams like New England and maybe Pittsburgh. I'd love to see a ring on Peyton's finger, but I would be very surprised if they got to the Superbowl (much less won it) w/the D they have.

I know it's a cliche, but there is truth to the old saying, "offenses win games, defenses win championships."

As for the NFC side of things... well... they all pretty much suck so who cares? ;)

Lethal

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    When the Pats won their first SB, I rooted for them. Last year, I didn't - I thought that they were jammy gits (ie quite often they so lucky as to how the ball bounces etc) and was quite keen to see them lose. This year, I'm back to admiring them, at least defensively, for their continued excellence despite starting 10 different people in the secondary.

The Colts I think i'd like more if Peyton ever looked excited. Yes, I know it's his job and I don't look that excited at work a lot of the time. And I know that we all complain about excessive celebration but hey, show some enthusiasm that you're enjoying what you're doing.

Steelers I'd like to see win - I always love that Cinderella team every year.
    Jets - nope, don't like them or their whinging city media.

In the NFC, I loathe the Eagles and the Rams. And I'm not so keen on the Vikings - so by default I'll be going for the Falcons to make it into the SuperBowl (but lose!)

12. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I am from Columbus....but have lived in the Bloomington/Nashville area for about 9 years.

As for the Colts D being 28th in the league.......those are compiled stats......you have to remember that the more the defense is on the field, the more stats the other team racks up.....and as much and as quickly as the Colts offense scores, that puts the D on the field a lot.

And yes, the NFC is really bad and really are just playing for the runner-up spot in the Super Bowl:)

Go Colts!

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Good luck to everyone's team!

Colts - Peyton has yet to win the "big games". I know its a cliche, but he never beat Florida when he was at Tennessee, never played for the National Championship. The year he leaves, Tee Martin does both and wins. Now it is the Patriots that are his nemesis. Can he overcome BB? He couldn't overcome the 'ole ball coach.

Steelers - Rookie QB, even though he has won them all. At times the running game and defense have bailed him out. He is a stud, and will be for years to come, but it will be tough.

Jets - Pennington is erratic, as are the Jets. They've had a good run, but don't think they have enough.

Patriots - They are the champs until proven otherwise. They have overcome the loss of Ty Law and still won. They are vulnerable, but a wounded animal is very dangerous. BB is the best at preparing for a team. Look for them to repeat in the AFC

Vikings - All I have to say is 8-8. Good as they are, they are inconsistent. Tice has yet to prove he can lead a team.

Rams - Also 8-8, but on fire right now. They will have their hands full with Vick.

Falcons - Too much for the Rams, not enough for the Eagles. They will improve with time.

Eagles - Even without TO, they are a good team. They will have a tougher time with the Vikings than with the Falcons.

Eagles - Patriots
    Look for a repeat by the Pats. Brady is just too cool in the big game.

Good luck to all!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Despite the fact that I live around Cleveland, I can't help having this sneaking admiration for what Pittsburgh has accomplished this year...and I can't believe how far a rookie like Roethlisberger has taken them. That said, rookie quarterbacks don't usually go directly to the Super Bowl, much less win it. I expect that this weekend or next, the magic will run out.

The Jets...feh. Nothing against them, but like MacDawg says: inconsistent.

That leaves the Colts and the Pats. I'm rooting for the Colts just because I'd like to see Manning get to the big one and win it. But I wouldn't be surprised if Bill Belichick's team does it again. Belichick wasn't a good coach when he was with the Browns, but I've got to give the guy his due: he's changed a lot, and all for the better.

In the NFC, I just don't know. Frankly, I'm not invested heavily enough into any of the teams to care who advances. I'll guess that Atlanta will get to the big game, where it will lose to the Pats.

Most importantly to me as a Browns fan is: which of the staff on these teams will be coaching my team next year? Romeo Crennel? Brad Childress? Russ Grimm? (There'd be some sweet irony in us hiring Baltimore's director of player personnel and Pittsburgh's offensive line coach....)

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Hopefully the snow around Xmas didn't hammer you too much.

On average the Colts' D allows 370yrd (29th overall, 24th against the run & 28th against the pass) and 21pts(18th) a game, so the offense has to score 32pts a game to win. Of the seven teams that have a lower average TOP than the Colts only 2 of them have a lower ranked D (this lower TOP list includes the Eagles who a top 10 overall D). Although TOP can factor into a D's stats, it doesn't play that big a role.

Lethal

16. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I'm going to personally kill Doug Brien for the 2 late game missed field goals to win.

The offense of the jets wasn't there, but seriously 2 FG within Minutes of eachother putting the game away?

You have to make those.

:(

17. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i think it goes to show kicking a field goal isn't the easiest thing, yeah the Jets needed him to make atleast one of them but 47 and 42 yards respectively isn't that easy, oh yeah. Brien missed one last week too, its nothing new he's not the greatest kicker. I'm more concerned with the way the falcons looked tonight, they deserved that number two seed for sure.

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

He will be looking for work next season.
    42 and 47 are the staples of kickers, you gotta make them
    Especially with the game on the line
    You rarely get a second chance, you can't blow it

Scared the Steelers though... and Big Ben looked like a rookie

The Falcons did look good, or did the Rams look like an 8-8 team? :rolleyes:

Woof, Woof - Dawg

19. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I'm originally from Baltimore, and when i lived there I watched the Colts pull out in the middle of the night and head to Indiana. Unlike some folks who STILL hold a grudge, I still love the team (not the owner) and will be rooting for them.

20. Cursor macrumors 6502

Cursor

While the Eagles are my team, I have to say that I don't want the Patriots to make the big game. So, by default I hope Indy wins today. I also think they will crush the Steelers next week. The Steelers are almost out of steam, and the streak will stop next week:). Atlanta is good, but not good enough to make it. Maybe next year or the year after. And the Vikings-forget it-winning another playoff game is a pipe dream!

21. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    42 yes - 47 no. Particularly in the cold outdoors - and even more so at Heinz Field where the angles and wind do weird things to the ball. The longest opposition field goal (in 4 years there) is 46 yards. The longest Steelers one (in 35 or so games) is 47!

On the 42, I think the Jets took a leaf out of the Chargers book from last week. They should have tried to get the first down rather than put the ball in the centre of the field. Didn't they learn anything from the critiques of Martyball last week!

For the other - the Rams looked like an 8-8 team. I watched the game with a Rams fan who blamed poor field position for the most part. The Rams haven't got beyond the 30 yard line on a kick off return all season whereas their coverage is so bad the the Falcons were getting big returns most of the game. Martz, for once, seemed to have a good balance of plays but the receivers dropped more than usual and nothing seemed to click. I think the turning point was the 3rd and 1 where Jackson dropped the ball that would have given them first down (score was 21-14 at that point) in good position. Instead, the Rams punted and it was returned for a TD (game over!)

22. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I was on the verge of tears before Brien missed that last field goal yesterday. I found myself on the verge of tears again once the Steelers pulled through in OT. It was like I died and came back to life again.

23. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

24. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

being a steelers fan, i've got to express a bit of relief (whew!). the local steeler's bar in lakeview/lincoln park (durkin's) was packed beyond capacity with terrible towel wavers and folks with slight yunzer accents. so we spilled out and almost every bar on diversey became a little steeler bar for a day. pretty cool.

as for the game, the run game and defense played great football, and the special teams had one screw up that cost them big. ben looked awful in the first half, and those interceptions were probably his two worst passes this year, but take those away and he played a pretty solid second half. i'm pretty sure he'll be fine.

can't wait for next week. those are two very good teams in indy and foxboro.

25. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Oh, something I forget to add in my previous post. Don't forget that Jeff Reed's 33 yard field goal to win it came pretty close to the right upright.

Anyway... I'm looking forward to the Colts/Pats game. It should be really good.

Lethal