Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Obsidian, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Obsidian macrumors member

Oct 10, 2001
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    TIME MAGAZINCE CANADA SCREWED UP BIG TIME, AS QUOTED ON slashdot! http://www.timecanada.com/ has pictures, and they are authentic!!!!! personally i think its ugly :)
  2. Obsidian thread starter macrumors member

Oct 10, 2001
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    low end price is $1299

from $1299 to $1899 canadian (i believe) AND THE HIGH END HAS A DVD BURNER!!! it also features G4!
  3. Tomasz macrumors regular

Dec 30, 2001
    Berkeley, California
    I agree with you Obsidian

I think it is ugly. But I thought that the original iMac was ugly too. But it grew on me....

Maybe this will also.

4. macboy macrumors regular

Apr 18, 2001
  5. networkman macrumors regular

Jan 1, 2002
    california, usa
    real imac

this is the real thing unless time magazine is in the rumor business, too (ha, ha, ha)

the new imac is big but for us mac users it may seem like nothing...but steve jobs and company need to build their market share which is now at 4 percent and their worldwide share is under three percent (according to the article) and no matter how much money they made from the original imac, this is scary news

the new imac does seem a little ugly to me as a mac user but it may be a breath of fresh air for pc users and may actually bring in new users even though the article does not seem to think so

but i say time magazine is wrong and the pc world has taken their beige box tower design has far as they can due to the "freefall" of the computer industry as they call it which is due in part to the boring pc towers they try to warm up and resell over and over again
  6. Onyxx macrumors regular

May 5, 2001

impressive spec yes. good looks, No. Is it just me or is that thing ugly as hell?
  7. Sleepy macrumors newbie

Nov 12, 2001
    Sell your apple stocks! Sell you apple stocks!

Bail out while you can!

I cannot be the only laughing at that thing.
  8. Sleepy macrumors newbie

Nov 12, 2001
    A computer is supposed to be a tool.

When did apple forget that?
  9. puckenpepper macrumors newbie

Jan 7, 2002
    I like it. Form follows function.

You were expecting, what? Did you really think Apple would retread another Porsche/Geiger industrial design? That's what Wintel boxes and ghetto blasters look like. Those swooping, sensuous egg shapes. The old iMac was the best example of that kind of thing, but now it's time to admit that a computer is not a car and that it has no need to be aerodynamic.

The new iMac reminds me of the old fifties Philco Predicta televisions in reverse. http://www.imagina.com/~kevinw/Images/Predicta.jpg
    This time, the screen is rectilinear and the guts of it are rounded. I think it's elegant. The perfect design for this kind of thing.

[Edited by puckenpepper on 01-07-2002 at 03:49 AM]
  10. xelterran macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2001
    had a look in photoshop...

ive taken a look at the image in photoshop, but i really cant say if its real... ive zoomed in and it looks quite pixilated, but again that might just be because the image was fairly small.
    Im not sure about the new design, looks kinda like a reading lamp 2 me!
  11. Foocha macrumors 6502a

Jul 10, 2001
    New iMac

I think the new design is clever - it's a smart idea to keep the curves in some form, and the base unit is the natural place, since a flat screen in its nature is flat and rectangular.

Sounds like they've got the price right as well this time, and with the huge sale of consumer DVD players over Christmas, and a Superdrive now available for iMac - iDVD is going to be BIG in 2002.

Apple have a runaway hit on their hands, and the front cover of TIME magazine is more valuable to Apple than a big suprise for Steve's keynote.