Go on vacation, goodbye MR :(

Discussion in 'Community' started by Patmian212, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hey Guys,
    Tomorrow I leave for greece for 2 months :eek: :p . I am flying to athens then I have a 12 hour ferry ride to this little island in the dodecanese called patmos. Patmos is where saint john wrote the book of the apocolypse. and it has one of the biggest libraries of religous books in the world. In the winter the island is in habited by 2000 people and in summer because of tourism there are usually 8000 people which is still very little. I have a little house on an arid mountain top. I have running water electricity and a phone but not tv or internet. Just me the mountain goats and some of my friends, just realxing looking at the panorama. They have 1 internet cafe in town with rediculous prices like 5 euros for half an hour so I will check in once a week, Just wanted to make sure I said goodbye to all my friends here at macrumors and I hope this palce doesnt go haywire without me ;)
    Peace
    Patmian212

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

enjoy you 2months lol

dont worry i bet the powerbook/ibook/powermac/ipod next tuesday will still be around

:rolleyes:

take loads of pictures :)

3. iGary Guest

iGary

4. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Have a nice time, amigo! ;)
    take care, it may be really hot there!

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wow! 2 Months on a small Greek Island.....very cool. So why are you going?

Post pics when you get a chance. :D

D

6. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

7. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Wow, hope you have a great time. Post some pics!

8. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I will post picks within this week if I get a chance to go to the 56k internet cafe(hey it rhymes :D ). I am going just to chill out and get mellow, maybe do some swimming and spearfishing with friends, my parents have owned a house there for 20 years, they went to patmos for vacation a while ago and loved it so much they bought a house on a mountain right near a monestary so if the roosters dont wake me the chanting will :D .

EDIT: google has some great pics of the island, the most famous picture is the one with a monastary(great big grey castle) on a hill surrounded by houses, thats where I am staying, BTW in the pics the island looks pretty modern, but dont let that fool you, on the island there are 10 cabs,1 bus, 1 police car and no fire department, no airport , 1 heli port and 1, boat port and there is no trash truck theres a trash donkey who picks up your garbage every morning. LOL

9. efoto macrumors 68030

Sounds like an awesome place to live or visit. Like others have said take tons of pictures, I bet it is just visually quite amazing!!

Have a ton of fun, make sure to get your spearfishing time in, if you have never done that I have heard from friends it is a blast! Take care.

10. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

11. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Wow I am really jelious of you right now! Sounds like it will be alot of fun. I always like going to places with few people around its just so relaxing.

12. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

We'll all be thinking of you while you're out enjoying yourself for 2 months. I'm happy I get to take a week off in July :rolleyes:

Looking forward to the pictures and the stories. :D

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wow, that's very cool and I'm really jealous! Have a great time.....it looks like its going to be quite fun.

How's your Greek? I spent 6 weeks in Isthmia/Corinth more than 10 years ago and I really want to go visit again - the food is so much better than anything I've had in the US that calls itself 'Greek'

D

15. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Yeah I love greek food its very fresh. my greek is ok, not very fluent but enough to get by.

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

enjoy it! Wish I could take a 2 month vacation, MR or no MR! :p

17. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I'm both very jealous, and very happy for you. Have a great time, be safe, be sure to make it back home.

Can't wait to see some pictures!

18. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Those pictures are amazing! After seeing those Im now even more jelious of you. It looks so nice and clean there I really want to go there sometime.

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Beautiful pictures Patmian212, thank you, they are beautiful. I wish you you a restful, relaxing, and refreshing two month vacation. I'm sure that no TV or internet will go along way to assist in this matter. I will also be looking forward to your own personal pictures.

I think that with the assistance of all of us, Doctor Q and Mr. Anderson we will somehow manage to keep MacRumors running. At least with checking in once a week you will be able to observe how were doing.
    ;)

20. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

We'll muddle on without you somehow... ;)

Have a great holiday!

21. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Guys I am off to bed my flight is at 10 am. I will check in soon. Bye everyone, enjoy MR and your holidays.

22. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Have a great time! I've been to Corfu and Santorini, but never Patmos - I'd be curious to see how similar/different it is. Personally, I found the Greek Isles to be far more beautiful than mainland Greece (I found Athens to be quite dirty actually) and would easily go back some day.

Keep us posted!

23. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Farewell and have a safe trip!

Tell us all and show us many pics when you can!

24. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

OK, Finally is gone, now, Let's start the party ... :p

;)

25. efoto macrumors 68030

LMAO, cuttin' right to the chase, well done. So what changes can we convince a mod to do to his account while he is on vacation? A new strange avatar once a week, so everytime he logs in he is shocked!? :eek:

Anyway, that site makes the place you are going look even better, have a wonderful trip. I eagerly await photos and stories.