Go see About Schmidt

Discussion in 'Community' started by medea, Jan 5, 2003.

1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Saw it last night, there was actually a line waiting to get in for it which really surprised me, it is in my personal top running for movie of the year, right next to Hollywood Ending. Jack is great in it, I just hope you don't get a large and rather loud fat woman sitting next to you who keeps throwing her gargantuous arms onto the arm rests next to me laughing and making super loud comments about all the previews....I mean she was so bad you wouldnt belive it, I am never ever rude to anyone in the theatre but I was to her, in the very beggining it shows Jack in his office waiting for the time to go by, and she bursts out "I think it must be a government job, hardehar..." so I turned around to her and said "oh you think so?" and she nodded with this fat silly grin and I replied "well I don't give a **** about what you think and neither does anyone else here so keep it to yourself..please."

2. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Some of that movie was shot here in Lincoln, NE. The director is from Omaha and he directed "Election" also. I am dying to see it, but it has been sold out since the early preview showing they did here a couple of weeks ago.

Sorry to hear about the large annoying lady.

Regards,
    Gus

3. Choppaface macrumors 65816

IMO the most boring movie I've ever seen... Jack is a great actor, but there's essentially no plot and the movie isn't that interesting. If Insomnia is out on video, I would recommend renting that to seeing about schmidt... I think it would have been more interesting if he actually did something about his situation.

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

about schmidt is more of a character based movie than plot... and actually, the plot's pretty clear.. his wife dies, he is lonely, he wants to keep his daughter from marrying elcamino man....

insomnia, on the other hand, was several great actors... in a mediocre film.

5. Choppaface macrumors 65816

he does nothing to stop his daughter's marraige. he backs down when she tells him off at work, he doesn't pursue her after she rejects his words in colorado, and at the final moment when he's making his speech at her wedding, when he has the chance to be an individual, he tells her what she wants to hear, which is what he's done all his life - serve others instead of create himself. a lot of the movie is essentially a commentary on how being old sucks. I'd rather see Jack be a grumpy old ass and tell them all off, but instead he wallows in his condition. I found the movie rather predictable.

Insomnia I thought had some interesting themes and surprises.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'll wait for the DVD. Prefer to watch in the comfort of my own home. Thanks for the reccomendation!

Being filmed in Lincoln, NE, should make for some beautiful scenes. Hopefully it will increase tourism to Nebraska, a great state. I lived their for 10 years.