Go to the store, or order them?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iGary, Jul 8, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm probably going to be picking up two 20" ACD's in the next week or so and I wanted to find out what the experience of most folks has been here with teh condition of their displays they received if they had them shipped?

Dead pixels?

I'm just trying to decide whether I am going to be an ass and go to the Apple Store and have them run a pixel test on the two displays before buying, or if I should just go ahead and order them and have them shipped.

Thanks!

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I almost purchased a 20" display in January 2004. It was a return due to one dead pixel, it was hardly noticeable. Would have made the purchase except it wouldn't work with my September 2000 PM G4. I did purchase a 17" display from the store that has no dead pixels. It's almost 1 1/2 years old and in perfect condition.

I also know of a 23" display that was shipped. It didn't have any dead pixels. Of course the advantage to purchasing in the store is that you can check.

3. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Since you aren't eligible for any discounts, I would say go to the store and purchase it. You won't need to pay for shipping, you would have to pay tax anyway, and you can test the monitors in store. There really is no reason that you should not...

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I have no idea if you're interested, but my brother just ordered a Dell 2005FPW 20.1" widescreen (i.e., the same LCD as the Apple, but different backlight and electronics) and paid a TOTAL of $436.83, shipped. I have the same monitor (as well as an older 20" ACD), and it is absolutely fantastic for the price. Check dealmac.com for the coupon code.

Edit: no dead pixels on mine. Plus portrait mode, PIP, height adjustable, multiple video inputs, all selectable from button on front of monitor. It's not quite as beautiful (case-wise) as the ACD, but it's damn close and half the price (buy two...). Very nice build quality as well.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Weren't you just going to go to the Delaware store to save on tax anyway? Be an ass, it's your money. Just, maybe be a nice ass. :p

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

when this issue has come up in the past on these forums, people have said that the stores WONT let you open the boxes, try out the hardware AND THEN decide whether to buy them.....you have to buy FIRST

dunno if this is true but that's what I've read here in the past