Gobble Day: Where Are You Going; What Did You Eat

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pimentoLoaf, Nov 21, 2005.

1. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Home? A fave restaurant or cafe? What are your plans?

Bookmark this thread so that afterward, you can relate :eek: what you gobbled.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    To Bodeans BBQ Smokehouse in Soho, London to eat the full turkey works (although they smoke theirs rather than roasting) and pie while watching the football ;)

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Going to Raleigh... Thanksgiving day dinner at the Cardinal Club with my Mom, aunt, brother, sister, brother-in-law, and nephew.

Friday, going to the Hurricanes-Maple Leafs game... Saturday, going to the NC State-Maryland game...

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

My mom's side of the family is on the larger side (six sisters total) and the cousins alone number greater than sixteen. :D Usually the three families that live locally will gather at one of our homes and celebrate together... and usually at my house because my mom is without a doubt the best Chinese food cook out of the six sisters (Aunt #2-- yes we call them by their chronological rank, is the best at western food). If you're still reading then you might be puzzled because Thanksgiving generally feature western dishes... Our turkey stuffing is the Chinese sticky-rice dish ('yo-fan') as well as some other veggie dishes and whatnot, but my mom can still pull of the western Thanksgiving turkey dinner quite well (made-from-scratch cranberry/apple/pear sauce, made from meat gravy as well as the gravy-in-a-box variety just for extra options :p).

This year, however, we're gonna be at Aunt #6's house.

I'll be sure to come back and post about how stuffed I got.

5. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

YUM!!! Sounds good devilot--minus the turkey!! :)

I am going to my parents house and eating all of the broccoli casserole. And then spend the rest of my Thanksgiving break studying for my final accouting exam---it will be super fun!! ;)

Now I do hope my family breaks out the 90's trivial pursuit time capsule game again after we eat. I ended up winning the damn thing last year....lots of celeb stuff, movies, tv so all of those years of watching MTV finally paid off!! :D ;) I loved feeling like I was the more intelligient one for once in my life!! :)

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

LOL. I think I'll stick to calling it Thanksgiving Day. :p

We Canucks eat turkey too. That's what my family ate last month.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm leaving around 3:00 p.m. today for Deep Creek Lake. My step family (I hate calling them that, but...) rents a big house (7 sisters, kids, etc.) for the whole week.

I'm really quite the outsider with them and I'm bloody terrified with the whole thing already, but the camera gear is going along and I have a couple of articles to write so I can stay busy.

Sound thrilled, don't I? :eek:

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'll be spending it with friends. Too hard to get out of the city on holidays. It's much better to stay put and visit family later.

9. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Nice dinner in the afternoon and then friends will be over after for cards/video games (hoping my dog doesn't eat anyone) and whatever else. Day after doctors then home to ride the bike and work off that turkey :)

10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

11. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

A quite get-together with the family (about 6 or 7 people). Nothing special. However, I will be preoccupied by some Book Arts assignments that I am way behind on and I shall take the opportunity of the 4 day break by trying to catch up. I'm only behind by like 4 major books and two very easy books. Oh, and if you are wondering, Book Arts class is about actually making books (Gary Frost, Ethiopian, French Fold, Soft Cover, etc).

12. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Over to my girls for a noon lunch then going out to eat later that night. Then this sunday going to my sisters house for my family's thanksgiving.

good times

13. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

Hey man me too. It should be good who are you pulling for?

14. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

Going home, probably just gonna spend a quiet Thanksgiving with my family. Which reminds me, I should call to find out what we're doing....

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

My brother and I will be pulling for NC State (I went to NC State, and my brother is just an NCSU fan). My brother-in-law and sister went to Maryland, so he'll be pulling for them.

(Normally, though, I'm a UNC fan. Everyone in my Mom's family went to Carolina...)

16. emmawu macrumors 6502

I'm having some family and friends over and making a feast. I ask everyone what they cannot live without on Thanksgiving and make it. So we're having turkey and stuffing and gravy and smashed potatoes and acorn squash. We have a relish tray with homemade cranberry sauce, pickles, green and black olives, corn muffins. Snacks include nuts to crack, See's chocolates, Harry & David truffles & M&M's. Beverages include, beer, ale, red and white wine, apple cider, coffee, peppermint tea, milk, soda, water. And then there's dessert, which will by my sister's killer pumpkin pie, my mile high apple, walnut, raisin pie and cherry cobbler with your choice of toppings, whipped cream, vanilla ice cream or Cool Whip. And if necessary a nice angioplasty for those who need it.

It's a lot of work, but I really like to cook and everybody gets something they really want. When one of my nieces was really small she wanted macaroni and cheese and fruit cocktail and that was fine. Everyone should be able to be happy with what they are eating. Afterwards, we take a walk and chat and sometimes my nieces play some music. We might watch the extended version of Stripes (an additional 18 minutes). It's a fun day.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

staying put here at home, my mother's side of the family is coming over, theres a good deal of us, so it will be interesting, at least i dont have to drive or go anywhere, mmm lots of beer then

18. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Stayin' home. EATING TOFURKY!

My mom is letting me make the pie and stuffing.
    this means VEGAN PUMPKIN PIE! (with tofu)
    and stuffing made with olive oil and veggie broth instead of butter and chicken stock.

Yeessss!! It'll be delicious!

Then, I'm going out at 6:40 AM to hit the galleria.

I'm gonna line up outside the apple store at 7:45 and pretend it's a grand opening.

as my friend said "it's the grand opening.. OF SAVINGS!"

(I'm trying to convince her to come.. she's in the market for a new Laptop!)

19. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Going to my Uncle's house with my parents and sister, about 60 miles north of here. Having all the usual stuff...I'm going to attempt making some sort of homemade bread to go with dinner, and rugalach for dessert.

After that we're probably going to stop by a family friend's house and hang out there for a while.

20. CompUser Guest

I am driving 3hrs to greenwich to go to my parent's house where my mother is cooking. My sister, brother-in-law, niece, nephew, and my brother-in-laws parents will be there.

What will we be eating, that is pretty obvious but Turkey, Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes, cranberry sauce, apple pie, etc.

I really want to watch the apprentice while I'm there. Then I will get back in my car and drive back north for 3hrs. Hopefully I won't fall asleep from the turkey :)