God bless CompUSA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by williamsonrg, Feb 14, 2005.

1. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

So as some of you may have noticed, CompUSA had a deal last weekend where they were giving money for trade-ins, as long as you bought a new computer from them that day. As I mentioned in some other posts, my girlfriend's Dell laptop had been randomly shutting off. Now, technically CompUSA wasn't accepting broken computers. Then again, what are the odds of them noticing that it was broken?

After some snafu regarding her recovery disk, she got $650 that she immediately put toward a brand-new 12" PB. We (well, she) have officially switched!

She is in love with her new PB, although she's had a few minor glitches, but I'm sure the Apple store will be able to help her (Safari sometimes acts funny, starting to open and then immediately shutting down and giving an error message. If you click on it a third time, it opens... weird. Also, the Applecare website wasn't letting her register her AppleCare plan).

Anyway, just felt like bragging that we managed to get a $1500 computer for less than a grand!

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Wow. Something positive mentioned about CompUSA. thats a first.

3. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I've always hated them too, and they were not at all nice to work with, but we've got a new computer, so screw 'em.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

they are not the brightest or the best, but they do occasionally have good deals, glad you made the switch, and if you have any problems or questions just ask 'em here, we are usually a helpful bunch and can pretty much answer just about anything

5. iGary Guest

iGary

They've always done a decent job representing Apple in our closest store here, but no one in the store knows anything about them.

I avoid most computer stores like the plague.

I can find out most of what i need to know and purchase online, but congrats on switching! :D

6. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

They've had my G5 for the past month. So screw them.... at the moment.

Hey nice going with the switch. She'll love it.

7. zpmqxonw macrumors newbie

Do you know if this deal is still going on? I have a Dell Laptop with the exact same problem, and the keypad also likes to stop working sometimes. I would love to upgrade to an iBook!!!

8. mac-er macrumors 65816

I just hope you don't have to take it back to CompUSSR, or you'll have to may them a $650 restocking fee. I think CompUSSR would charge admission to the store if they could get away with it. :rolleyes:

9. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Congrats!

You made a great deal in switching to the PB (less than $1000!). Awesome! You also got AppleCare. Let me know in the future if it's great or not. I have a 15"PB and don't feel like buying one. Yes I read a lot.....about it on MR, but just want to know your opinion.

Wait a minute, isn't she expecting a ring from you soon? Or is that someone else who post about his girlfriend expecting the ring rather than the PB? :p

And aren't you gettin that iMac?

10. SurfinSHELL23 macrumors regular

Cool. What were the specs, maybe I want to do a trade in.

11. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

It's interesting that other Dell laptops are having the same problem... Unfortunately, it was a one-day only deal. The guy at the register talked like they do it relatively often though, so maybe keep your eyes open. I found out about it in an ad in USA Today. I generally only mock that publication, but it did me wonders!

Well fortunately for me, she bought the PB herself, so it won't directly affect the status of her ring (she still doesn't know when she's getting that, by the way, but if she loves her PB this much, she should go crazy for a ring). And yes, I want an iMac, but she was the one with the trade-in, so she got the deal. Besides, I'm happier about her new computer than I would be if I got one. That's true love, isn't it?

12. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

Just for the record, the amount they give you is based on the processor. For a 2.66 Pentium IV laptop we got $650.

13. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I usually have good luck with CompUSA.

Recently I needed to install a replacement keyboard on my iBook -- but not wanting to awaken the logic board monster I called CompUSA, they said it'd be a $30 repair. I took the Mac and the keyboard in and they said it'd be $140, and I said "WHAT?" I consented to it anyway, but then it turned out to be "easier than he thought" and it really was just $30. But they sent a thank-you note, not usual CompUSA policy if I am right, I've had service on my PC there before and they didn't both do a follow-up phone call and a postcard.

The manager probably overheard me moaning to myself about how my city probably is on the short list for an Apple Store. Bring it on, I say; as nice as CompUSA generally is, I'd like to be able to locally buy Apple products and still get my student discount, and the genius bar would be a step up from CompUSA because all the staff would know a Mac from a hole in the ground.

14. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

Congrats!

Karma my friend, Karma... Put out positive vibes, positives vibes return! :D

15. darkwing macrumors 65816

Wow so you cheat a business out of money by not pointing out a problem. Not only that, but if someone buys that laptop they'll spend good money for a poor experience. You must feel proud.

16. jaykk macrumors 6502a

17. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Good then, add one more person to the "I hate CompUSA" list. Hopefully they either get themselves restructured MASSIVELY, or go out of business.

Yes I hate CrapUSSR.

18. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Geez, those trade-in values are PATHETIC. You'd do better to sell your old machine on eBay or through the classifieds.

19. jaromski macrumors regular

jaromski

Well it was a DELL machine. I, for one, am surprised the trade-in value was non-zero.

-jaromski

20. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

That's great news. I wonder what they intend to do will all those junked computers that they received?

I assume that before they okayed that marketing scheme, they probably assumed that most of the computers that they would receive as trade-ins would be in less-than-perfect condition :)

21. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

The manager said they sell them all to some other company. The ad said that that scratches on the case were OK, so if I had to guess, I would say that they scrap it for parts.

22. williamsonrg thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, once we re-formatted the hard drive, it worked fine, so I can sleep at night. Thanks for being my conscience though, Darkwing.

23. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Actually it's not cheating. The ad saids trade ins. Also, CompUSA have techs to look over the laptop before it goes on the shelf to be sold. It's very good business for both the consumer (get a new computer) and seller (earn more $ from selling new and "preowned" computers).

24. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I called comp usa and nobody in the store has heard of this. At least not here in so cal. :D

25. CompUSA-Guy macrumors newbie

Just to help some of you out here's a little info.

As previously posted our trade-in program can be found at CompUSA Trade-In .

It is not available in California, Alaska, Hawaii or Puerto Rico.

Also, if you are having problems getting answers to your Apple questions, see if the store has an Apple rep. Here in Atlanta, every store has an Apple rep in them. Some of the reps are full time, others part time depending on the store. If they aren't in, they usually leave business cards and promptly return phone calls. Our store locator gives you an option to search for Apple rep stores closest to you.

We also have great deals that you just can't get at the Apple store. Right now we have 24 months NO interest on any desktop or notebook purchase $799 and up on our CompUSA card. Two years to pay off your new Apple is a pretty sweet deal. You can also get a Epson c84 printer and a Belkin wirelsess router free after rebates, with a notebook/desktop purchase of $599 and up. You can also get a free car charger instantly with a 20GB ipod.

Not trying to make this sound like an advertisement, but I just had to say something after seeing the bad comments of my workplace. :)