God bless Keith Olbermann

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Quoted in total (because the site requires registration):

LA Times

What's most admirable, of course, is what Wilson said: that Olbermann is one of the few true journalists left who is healthily skeptical of government. Not just Bush and the neocons, but the Democrats as well.

So Olbermann deserves his success. I'd like to think that MSNBC had altruistic reasons for coming to him and encouraging him to do more angry commentaries, but realistically, I think they merely saw ratings in it, not some fulfillment of journalistic purpose.

But the true heroes nowadays are Olbermann, and to a lesser degree Lou Dobbs, Bill Maher and Jon Stewart. Dobbs seems to be less deft at it than Olbermann, and Jon Stewart doesn't get to be serious often enough (such as that golden moment on Crossfire when he told Paul Begala and Tucker Carlson to stop turning politics into a Roman circus). Lately I've taken to downloading all of Bill Maher's Real Time podcasts, and he, like Olbermann, really has his head on straight. Between the jokes you can tell that he's really alarmed by the neocons and disappointed in wimpy Democrats.

Anyway. Keith Olbermann is a national treasure. And among all the factors that people attribute to the Democrats' recent win, I'd say his commentaries played a small but important part. He's charging up the liberal base. I think we've been waiting for someone like him.

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Many people say the same about Bill O'reilly.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Only people who share O'Reilly's unfortunately low intelligence level and penchant for ignoring facts.

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

See, that's where any leg you might have to stand on falls apart. You can say a lot about O'Reilly, but low intelligence is not one of them. It simply is not the case.

Taken from the public record:
    Born in Manhattan and raised on Long Island, Bill O'Reilly holds a degree in History from Marist College, a Master's in Broadcast Journalism from Boston University and another Master's Degree in Public Administration from Harvard's Kennedy School of Government.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're right! I should have said his lack of common sense. ;) And degrees do not make people intelligent or honest.

6. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I don't know mr O'Reiley enough to tell if he's smart or not but one thing I can say for sure is, degrees and academic achievements are definitely not a good way to judge someone's intellect.

Beated to it.

I'm starting to see a pattern here ^_^ Then again, maybe it's just me.

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Olbermann certainly does compose himself well, for the most part. His diatribes against this administration seem heartfelt and they are solid.

And I think it would do the US a lot of good if we held a similar level of distrust for both parties. As he said, he does not intend to court dissatisfied liberals. It would be unamerican to say that things will be okay just because we have democratic majority in congress. Complacency will be the end of the US when an end comes.

e

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

my first job out of college was at an engineering firm. my first task was to get-working a utility program written by a guy there who has a PhD in computer science (i have a lowly BS). his program was an absolute mess.

some time later, i came across him in the hall, staring at the vending machine.

him: you know this machine takes fives?
    me: really?
    him (sadly): thinks they're ones...

anyone who thinks olbermann and o'reilly are two sides of the same coin isn't paying attention.

9. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Agreed. I've had the misfortune of meeting Ivy Leaguers, all of them fairly dense. I know there has to be intelligent Ivy Leaguers somewhere, though.:)

10. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I respect his wisdom, his patriotism and his guts to tell it like it is.

Far too many T.V. journalists simply quote the "official AP newswire" story
    and consider their job done.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You're kidding right? Mr. Falafel? The man who calls himself a moderate while shamelessly shilling for the right? The man who's been caught lying almost as many times as Coulter and who's hypocrisy is only out matched by Limbaugh? I could go on, but I'm sure my words are falling on deaf ears. I will say intelligence is absolutely meaningless to how good of a person you are, for all I know he could be brilliant and either not believe what he himself says, or he's such a sycophant, he believes his own hype. As his ratings fall and Olbermann's rise. You want an honest (sometimes) conservative commentator, watch Scarborough. Or better yet, watch Stewart, Colbert, Maher, and Olbermann and learn something.

As for Olbermann, I'll bet that ratings number would be even higher if we count the people like me who only watch him once in awhile (mostly on :eek: YouTube) and take into account who the Neilsen families are. He had a particularly good response to Gingrich's ridiculous desire to protect our freedoms by taking away our freedoms. It isn't just the liberals who are afraid of what we are becoming, frustrated with the failings of both sides. He speaks to everyone who thinks the neocons are taking things too far, capitalizing on our fears, and the do nothing Dems who can't even pretend to be moderate right. How anyone can say O'Reilly has anywhere near the journalistic integrity of Olbermann is beyond me, and laughable at best.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What, no one's going to defend the grate O'Reilly?

13. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I saw his Rumsfeld "Special Comment" on YouTube the day after it aired, and have watched his show every day since (thank you Tivo).

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Rush will tell you strait up, he is out to get conservatives elected.

Bill O. will say he is a T-warrior, and votes whomever best represents his own beliefs (*ahem* Republican).

I enjoy his radio show, makes some great points to think about (besides the endless self promotion of his new book...) The TV side kind of blows. Hannity and Colmes is the only thing I enjoy anymore.

Say what you want about the sex scandle thing, now he has a laplawyer with him everywhere he goes. :rolleyes:

Olbermann, yeah I watched one show and turned it off.

Jon Stewart? [​IMG]

True heros are our boys back in Iraq... not a journalist "exposing" this and that about the other side.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Does it have to be one or the other? Don't they, when done correctly, perform the same type of functions, albeit in different ways? Like Police and FireFighters? Journalists exposing corruption and scandal are just as important to our freedoms as anyone else. Not that most of the so-called "news" out there is full of journalists (and Maher and Stewart are actually technically political satirists BTW) but that's their job, to expose. The good ones at least. I couldn't imagine a democracy without them.

And yeah, it's fine to lean one way politically and be honest about it. As I said, someone like Scarborough (who I often disagree with, but still respect) who's a former Rep Congressman, is obviously conservative. But it's a whole 'nother thing to be a partisan shill, lying and distorting (often hypocritically) but pretending to be "fair and balanced". Or worse, saying often deplorable things to incite hatred (ie Coulter) without justification. That's not journalism, but it tries to pass itself off as such. Believe it or not, there are those on the liberal side who do so as well, but we don't hear about them as much for some reason.

Olbermann (as well as Maher and Stewart) have often criticized the left and defended some things of the right, but they go after who's making the mistakes, especially if they're the ones in charge. Olbermann didn't use to care too much about politics, being a sports commenter above all else, but recently began to attack what he saw as wrong when he couldn't take it anymore, seeing Murrow (who even he will admit he couldn't hold a candle to) facing the same type of things in his day and attempting to fight them. Some of us appreciate the fact that someone is doing what needs to be done. If he starts defending the Dems when they do the same things he's criticizing the Reps for, then you can complain all you want about him being a partisan hack, and I'll be right there with you.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bingo. Sorry Yaba, skunk is right.

17. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

The true heroes are the people who get our boys OUT of Iraq, and get the people who sent them there chucked into prison.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Did you just call me Skunk? :confused: :eek:

S'ok, t'was a compliment, I'm sure. :)

19. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

You've got a good grasp of the situation, scem0. What we seem to have is one party, bifactional, and neither is worth a flip.

20. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

Brainwashed

21. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

ok :rolleyes:

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

King, I gotta' disagree with you, journalism is—at it's best—exposes real issues that when brought to light can be dealt with. We need journalism, just as much as we need firefighters, police officers, lawyers (I know, I know), and doctors, they fulfill a role that a society needs and they fulfill a tradition going back to at least Thomas Paine.
    But, I wouldn't call you brainwashed. All hagiography of Olbermann or Stewart aside, calling them heroes doesn't take anything way from the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. Each does their own duty.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, I wouldn't go that far. While there are some horror stories out there, as there are with cops, a majority of troops out there are just trying to do their jobs. Which is supposed to be to protect. It isn't their fault there are some bad eggs out there, nor that their leadership in the gov is lacking, if that's your point. I agree with hulugu, as I said above, both are important in their own ways.

And both have their bad eggs, looking around there are some pretty bad "journalists" out there (and I hesitate to even call them that).