God Made a Factory Farmer

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eric/, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Guest

eric/

So the Dodge God Made a Farmer commercial generated a lot of buzz. I wanted to discuss this commercial and the effects that such a commercial have on creating misperceptions and stirring nationalistic fervor.

This link may be NSFW, but I'm not sure since I'm not very familiar with the website. The actual video isn't.

But if you can ignore the annoying voice over and attempt at comedy, I think it's actually a pretty good satire on the commercial and the notion of the hard working American farmer that builds America that the Dodge commercial attempted to portray. Especially funny because Dodge is a company that was mismanaged into bankruptcy. What do they know about this?

This is the video The website is "funnyordie.com".

2. macrumors 68000

hulugu

This is pretty good. My favorite line "the word farmer still evokes salt-of-the-earth American gothic imagery and, from that standpoint that would be a helpful thing to associate with an auto-maker that nearly went bankrupt due to mismanagement."

That and the quip about Mexicans.

3. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

Very confused if first two posters realize that the commercial they are talking about is the parody of the real commercial. Real spot can be found here:

http://youtu.be/AMpZ0TGjbWE

4. thread starter Guest

eric/

No we know it's a parody. I was bringing it up because I thought that it was a good satire on the original commercial.

5. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Hilarious parody. (The original was the most annoying ad I've seen in the past year, and, considering the 2012 election, that is saying something.)

6. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

Oh good. I was worried for a second!;)

7. macrumors 603

thekev

I think the parody had a better style of narration. The original really should have been voiced by Wilford Brimley. I kind of wondered if the parody would go further in that direction once they mentioned HFCS and Mountain Dew:D.

8. thread starter Guest

eric/

Also, i just want to point out that there are very, very many good farmers and they are good people. They work hard, and love what they do. So this isn't a slight against them or anything, just the commercial and Dodge being the one who made it, and a good illustration of the lies being told to the American people.

9. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Dodge isn't selling their truck to the 1% of Americans who make their living farming.

Dodge is selling their truck to the Americans who are delusional enough to believe that they need a full-sized truck to survive in suburbia ... a truck that gets 16.8 mpg with gasoline over $3 per gallon ... but at least it makes them feel rugged and manly.

10. macrumors 68000

Sydde

That would be 16.8 hwy, it looks like most of them get around 12~13 city. Except diesels, those can get as high as 18 on the highway.

If that is not the actual tool you need, seems like a pretty penny to be pouring down the toilet.

11. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

Do you have any idea who Paul Harvey was? During his prime, break time coincided with his " Rest of the Story". He was way more powerful than Rush Limbaugh or any other conservative Talking Head can ever hope to be. Why? Because he was polite, because he found the good in people. I doubt that he would have appreciated the Dodge ad but he would have been horrified that you don't know who he was or the contribution he made to conservative talk radio. The older I got the less I agreed with him but his voice carried a certain gravitas that is never found outside PBS or NPR today.

12. macrumors 6502

You do realize that trucks have a purpose other than working on a farm right? I'm not a farmer but I still need a truck.

Diesels are capable of higher than 18 also.

13. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Yet they are not as popular in Europe.

How do you suppose they carry and tow things?

14. thread starter Guest

eric/

Good question.

For example, where I live a lot of people ride dirt bikes and ATVs through trails, and there are a few lakes here so people need a truck to pull their boat.

I've never been to Europe, do they share the same enthusiasm and culture for these vehicles?

Is it typical for somebody to hook their boat up to a truck and haul it down to a lake in France? Or maybe spend the weekend camping and riding ATVs?

15. macrumors 6502

I wouldn't know. How do they tow things? With a Prius?

16. macrumors 6502

17. macrumors 6502

haxrnick

So what is your issue here? Dodge, which is in the business of trying to sell trucks? Or is it how someone, whether you think they need one or not, is buying them with their money?

18. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Mostly the image that Americans fancy of themselves.

It doesn't serve us well.

19. macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

20. macrumors 6502

I like this one. No I'm not christian but some of the things he says still resonate with most people today.

21. macrumors 6502

:confused:

I drive a truck and i'm not a farmer...what image do I fancy of myself?

22. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

I don't think truck drivers or farmers use the word fancy very much. ;)

23. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

I'm not a mind-reader muddy.

But I am in marketing.

They don't portray truck drivers as rugged, manly men for nothing.

Hint: it makes their customer believe that they are manly men too.

24. macrumors 603

thekev

Contractors frequently own trucks, including light pickups much of the time. That's one of the more common semi-urban examples that comes to mind.

25. macrumors 6502

You didn't tell me how they tow things....like a 5th wheel or haul a truck camper...without a truck.