God! Please let Apple take over the desktop!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ooartist, Feb 16, 2002.

1. ooartist macrumors member

Feb 2, 2002
    Spring Hill, TN
    I am a recent Wintel convert and I have to say I LOVE MAC!
    I have been for the past 4 days soak'n in OS X and learning
    the feel and ways of using the OS. Mac truely is user friendly.
    I have to say there is no way a Winblozes user would ever
    go back if they only took the time to learn the OS. Apple has
    got something here. Micro$oft needs to just pack it up and use
    their billions to get into some other industry (game consoles)
    cause if OS X ever gets ported (IMHO it'll never happen) bye bye
    market share.

BTW, I love the hardware too! Mmmm, clear plastic polished edges.

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    Welcome to the fold... It is good to see yet another window$ convert coming to the better side.

Now you can see why so many people that own Mac systems use them for years and years and years before getting a new one (unless they are fortunate to have the spare $$). Hell, my landlord is still using a 7100/66 (built back in 1994). How many peecee's from that time frame are still in active service????

'nuf said :D
  3. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Yep... congrats on your switch... :)

That being said... I'm not sure if it would be all good if Apple were to become the dominant platform.

Personally, I think hitting 25-35% would be about perfect....

4. Hlau macrumors member

Feb 16, 2002
    I agree arn, something like 25% is the maximum I would wish the Mac to have. It has to be a niche. If everyone has a Mac, it will not be unique.
  5. arn macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    well - not just that...

Apple's always got a bit of pressure on their backs because they are fighting for every sale.... that's why we get the iMac and iPhoto and iMovie...

once that incentive is gone, I feel innovation might stagnate a bit.

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    Very true. Apple would simply lose its magic if it got too big. That's half the fun of being a Mac user... we know we have something superior here and we're all the smarter for it. :D

Like an elite group.
  7. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
  8. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    I think 30% market share for the mac would be perfect. Instead of seeing the mac dominant I would like to see a 3-way split between Mac,Windows and Linux.A 3-way split would be great, Apple would be very prosperous, M$FT would be a lot more restricted and Linux could put the heat on windows. Everyone would win except for Gates.
  9. Hlau macrumors member

Feb 16, 2002
    Like the games consoles?

So what we really want is something like the games consoles, where there is a split between MS, Sony and Nintendo. Apple will be like Nintendo, with its own niche market and producing quality stuff and has a loyal fan base. I'm glad Apple never got to be dominant, they would be even more arrogant that MS. We always love the underdogs.