Goin off to college .. what to bring ?!

Discussion in 'Community' started by thevessels, Dec 19, 2004.

1. thevessels macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2004
    well im goin off from winnipeg canada to dallas texas for school.. i graduated from high school this year - took the fall off - and am now jumpin back in
    im gonna be living in a dorm - first time obv - and am wonder what are some neccesaties to drom / college life ?
    i am an apple-oholic and am wondering what kinda little toys i should bring wiht my powerbook . . should i sell my APextreme and get the express?
    idk - just ANY general words of advice would be nice haha - its christmas time so im in the mood to buy ****
    thanks guys !
  2. jamdr macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I have to travel 3000 miles to get from home to my university, so let me tell you that you don't need as much as you think you do. Basically the most important thing to bring is clothes; you need stuff for every occasion that might come up. You may want to get a mouse for your PowerBook since it will likely be at a desk most of the time. Also, definitely get a good pair of speakers for your latop! You will need them, believe me. I don't think you really need airport express (or even a base station at all), but I guess it could be kinda useful.
  3. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    Get a USB thumbdrive (aka JumpDrive, etc.). They're indispensible when you need to be able to transfer/share data between personal and school computers.
  4. Trowaman macrumors 6502a

Nov 3, 2003
    CD: TX-14
    Which school in Dallas? If it's UNT I'll kinda let you know what to bring and send you info on our Apple club there.
  5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    A squirt gun is a must for dorm life. Trust me.

and selling your APExtreme and buying a APexpress is a good idea. You can play music through it. a nice touch. You porb wont need the extra capicity of APExtreme anyways.
  6. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    I have a minimalist approach to stuff to bring to college. I bring the most minimal stuff possible, and am constantly looking to shrink my stuff even further. The TV? Perhaps toss that and buy a standalone TV tuner and use my LCD for TV. Printer? The university computer lab's printers are free-for-all, so I left that home. Shrink! Shrink! Shrink! :D

But one thing: If you think you don't need a fridge, trust me you will want to have one. I tossed mine to shrink it even further, but after a semester I realized that even though I don't use it much, it does come in damn useful occasionally. So the fridge's back. :)

Think minimal. You'll love yourself for it.
  7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    look into what the dorm provides, my dorms came with a microwave and fridge, and they are both very useful, bring only what you can fit in your room, or your half of the room if you have a roomie

being minimalistic is good at times, that way you have less things to worry about, but bring enough things to make you feel at home if you will be spending most of the weekends and such there
  8. joepunk macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
    I second the thumb/jump/flash drive especially at today's prices w/rebates.

If you get a room with bunk beds and some sort of dresser that is movable and about the same height as the bunks then move the dresser right next to the bunks and while you are laying down place you laptop on the top of the dresser. That is my current set up at university.

Bring other books to have around. Show an interest of yours that is outside of school text books that you might keep. Have a variety of books. And have some pictures in frames hanging on the walls to accommodate the typical poster clad room.

Most stuff you can purchase while you are there as you probably already know.

Basically, small personal items are good.
  9. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Jun 17, 2003
    Corvallis, Oregon
  10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    I was going to say clean underwear, but dragon breath definitely trumps that.
  11. revenuee macrumors 68020

Sep 13, 2003
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    the fact that no one suggested condoms shocks me

fake ID is key
    and as mentioned above toothbrush is key

the rest ... meh ... those are not important
  12. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004
    well first I have to agree figure out what the collage provides for you. I live in the dorms at Texas Tech. out sides of the basics (cloughts toothbrush ect) I going to assume you will be flying so that will limited you some what.

For me I broughted my desktop computer with 2 montitors and my laptop which mostly sits in its bag and is mainly used for the few times I need a computer on the go and when I go home for break.
    A TV,
    some books and DVDs from home.
    Alarm clock (this is a must You must have an alarm clock).
    2 fans (No AC in the dorm)
    Coffee maker
    My own deskchair (I think the school chairs are crap)
    Then several items with me that make it feel more at home basicly some personal items that have a lot of meaning to me. for me it some transformer figures and some anime wall scrolls that where given to me as a gift plus a few other items I would strongly recomend you bring some personal items like that that have meaning or just stuff that shows you intersted to make it feel more at home.'

Mind you I am less limited than most people because when I do go home and come up for each school year I have 2 cars which to pack all the stuff in (my parants car and mine) plus I dont have a a roommate but if I did most of those items woudl still be with me. heck last year when I roomed with a good friends of mine most of that stuff was with me minus the desktop computer.

To each there own. Get all the important stuff pack first since space is going to be your main limiting factor after that pack the extra stuff to make it feel more like home. Remeber that you can get some of the stuff you need there at school (like power strips extentino cords and what not) Btw Power strips are a must I have 3 of them fully loaded in my room and then some.

Either way good luck next year and enjoy
  13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    they give out condoms at my school....so that didnt even cross my mind!
  14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    i'm a freshmen at college now, and one thing i found out that is handy to have is a cheap tool set, basic stuff, screw driver, hammer, etc...
    Bring as little as possible, don't bring valuables, if u have a laptop, get a lock, i have the kenginton one.....
    Get an "egg-creat" for your bed, there like $30 or so and you put it on your bed, and makes it much more comfy. you can get them at bed bath and beyond(when you get there flip your matteress)
    Yaffa blocks - to store stuff
    Don't buy alot, see what you can fit, you can always buy more
    I woudln't suggest setting up an airport b/c of hackers at the school, u never know... jsut get a long cable....
    DVD player
    As a tip, don't bring the top sheets to your bed, you don't need them, i found the best and easiest way to make a bed is to put the bottom sheet on and have the comfertor, and just pull up your comfertor and bingo!
    Posters, posters, and posters - try to find something differnt, every guy at my school as the same pamla anderson poster...NOT complaining but get something differnt...

Post pics when your done
  15. hulugu macrumors 68000

Aug 13, 2003
    the faraway towns
    Keep it simple:

maybe keyboard
    the APX is up to you, but having a wireless internet connection and airtunes would have been cool when I was in the dorm; wires are so passe'
    Xbox, Playstation, GameCube, pick your poison but there is always going to be some downtime and a good frag-fest or full NCAA season takes the edge off of marathon paper writing/studying
    decent television
    USB thumb drive
    'fridge, you need this to ferret food etc. in your room
    clothes, including a nice suit jacket and tie, gym clothes, and stuff you can wear on the way to the shower, think flip-flops for the dirty shower floor
    coffee pot
    alarm clock
    posters, someone mentioned this too, but it bears repeating, dorm wall are bare
    a few DVDs, favorites especially
    lots of CDs or a filled iPod, think greats: some romantic stuff, party music, and most importantly music you can study too; I would suggest Miles Davis' Kind of Blue
    a comforter, folding table, alarm clock, pillows, your own lamp and a good phone, a desk chair—dorm ones always suck
    some hangers
    dishware for a few: bowls, plates, forks, spoons
    camera, a cheap digital should work
  16. apple2991 macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    Always take a towel.

And remember: Don't Panic.
  17. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
  18. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004
    and that 9 x 6 is question (9 x 6=42 in base 13)
  19. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
  20. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2004
  21. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state

damn you all beating me to it!
    but, uh, my 'tar speaks for itself.
  22. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    i was waitin' for you to pop up with something ;)
  23. revenuee macrumors 68020

Sep 13, 2003
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    they do at mine too ... but you don't always have time to get to the student health office
  24. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2002
    I had the opposite approach moving it. my idea was bring something if i think i could use it even once. like flashlight, tool set, plastic utensils/ dishes, and other stuff you don't think you'll use, but may use once. because it will be there, you don't have to go home to get it, or go out and buy it.