going all raw, does anyone do it?

Discussion in 'Community' started by indifference, Jan 24, 2005.

1. indifference macrumors regular

Has anyone gone all raw in there food diet? What was the experience like?

2. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

i was wondering if this thread was about food or photography when saw the title :D

yes, been afew years in just raw ("living") food (fruit, veggies, seeds etc, nothign cooked) .. i felt great. my body worked great.

the only not so great was my social life. it was impossible to go out eat with anyone else, since you just could not get anything else than a salad (salad, cucumbers and tomatoes killed in french dressing isn't something i'd go out to eat) .. or if i ate anything else i got sick. like cheeses, milk .. or wheat, candy etc.

healthwise, great. just convert enough people for that food regimen that you can have parties of your own.

i might go back. .. but not alone. if e.g a house .. or 1/2 of the people living in the same house would be ready for it, why not ..

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Food or photography? Lucky you, because my first thought was whether this thread was about sex....

I've never tried it, but all these vegan diets...... macrobiotic, raw, another that slips my mind.......don't sound very healthy. People were meant to eat some meat. If you weren't meant to eat meat, then why do people crave it? Any natural urges or desires that you have to fend off with effort are probably natural things you shouldn't be fending off, and it's unnatural to purposely (and completely) cut these things out of your life.

But that's just one man's opinion. :eek:

Being a vegan is one thing, but not having cooked veggies? How much of a benefit do you gain from being a vegan, to becoming a raw vegan?

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

So people who crave sweets, nicotine, caffeine, drugs, etc etc should just go ahead and have them cause it would be unnatural to fend off these urges?!

I try to eat as much raw foods as possible and even invested in a Norwalk Juicer but it is hard to do. Plus I enjoy my food and going to restaurants way too much for my diet to be completely raw. I'm not militant in my diet, just try to fill up on the things that are good for me and stay away from the deep fried Mars bars!

But basically you don't have to go on a complete raw diet to experience the benefits of raw foods.

5. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

mine too, or running around naked....

Is chocolate raw? I don't cook it before I eat it!

I have tried to watch what i eat but I never succeed. I have no self control when it comes to food. I either eat too much of a good thing, which is still bad for you, or give up totally and just go for the bad stuff. I love salad and fresh veggies, but i could not be bothered preparing them. When i eat out i want something nice, not a limp piece of lettuce with a slice of some other green vegetable - I can get that at home...I want lobster, I want a big t-bone or sirloin steak, i want the creamiest of creamy pasta sauces, I want the best piece of chicken breast cooked in a coconut sauce, I want baked fish in a lemon sauce...ok and some vegies on the side...

but then again the best raw deal is an Apple! :p

6. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    cooking vegetables destroys much of their goodness, and this is a fact that has been known for ages.

my girlfriend and i are slowly getting into a raw diet, we're trying to eat organic, kinda difficult when you're broke and you have to pay a premium (isn't that so wrong?). There's plenty to eat, once you start looking...in fact, we're just about to have a raw lunch, and it's one of the best things i've eaten in ages!

we had a big filet mignon last week for my birthday (my girlfriend's a chef), and we both felt rough the next day. i personally will find it hard to give up meat, but i know now that i can, over perhaps, a year. i also want to grow my own veggies etc, as i know how they're grown then, and fresh produce is so damn good. i think most people are so used to the crap you get in supermarkets that society is so far removed from decent, fresh, quality food that it seems so weird to want to eat organic, when, just a few decades ago, everything was organic, and better (if local).

so yeah, although not raw yet, we may end up there, or close to it anyway.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

Isn't the key to healthy eating just eating appropriate portions of the proper types of food? That is, meat is not bad for you - eating a 16oz filet smothered in hollandaise sauce is.

Going to an all vegetable diet puts many people at risk of not getting proper amounts of calcium, protein, iron, etc. Sure, it can be done (beans, vitamins, and such), but I still question the benefits, especially for people who don't pay close attention to getting the proper mix of nutrients. Eating until you're full of carrots and lettuce won't get your body what it needs to thrive.

We try to eat as many organic foods as possible - at least in terms of drinking milk that doesn't contain hormones, eggs, vegetables, etc. But we mix in a healthy dose of chicken, turkey, pork, fish and red meat. Animal proteins are still the best in many respects for supplying energy and the building blocks for muscles, etc.

9. MP2 macrumors member

Nothing is bad for you.... in moderation. The problem occurs when people's diet is %60+(just an example) composed of meat/fat/sugars/carbs/etc. I personally don't mind having a whole-grain cereal for breakfast, peanut butter sandwich for lunch, grapes/apples/hard boiled eggs as a snack and and stir fry with chicken for dinner. A fairly balanced diet will do it for me.

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Saw this link in the Google ad bar at the bottom of the page. Is it just me, or do these people look just a little bit like those Clonaid folks?

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I eat lots of raw food, I hate cooked veggies! I go as organic as I can afford, and always organic apples as they are the most likely to have high levels of pesticides. The exceptions to the above rule are potatoes, cabbage (I love sauerkraut and it's an excellent pro-biotic) and spinach.

Meat I eat in moderation, maybe twice a week and very small portions with fish once a week as well. For the majority of the people in the western world, meat is not an everyday necessity. I also don't use milk and very little cheese and butter. Just a little asiago or romano on my salads. I pour ricemilk on my muesli. Only free-range eggs. I only use olive oil for cooking, absolutely no crisco or other vegetable oils, trans fats will kill and the pesticide and GM threat in corn or soy or rapeseed is way too high.

I also try to minimize my exposure to soy products as I'm not convinced they are the best thing for western diets. If I do eat any, it's always organic tofu. None of that soy cheese, franks, bologna bs, ughhhh!

Eating lots of raw foods is good for the intestines and much more less of the good stuff is lost by cooking it. When I make a cold wild rice salad, I'll just let the rice soak in cold water for a few hours. Nothing is lost that way and of course it is more energy efficient!

emw, I agree that total vegan diets can be risky what's riskier though is the other extreme. I've tried but I just can't give up meat, however, Americans eat way too much of the stuff for our bodily needs and the world would be a lot happier, healthier place if we ate it in moderation instead of excess.

12. Kmacripple macrumors member

I live in a very rural area, and most of the vegetables I eat (at least during the summer) are grown by us or grown by people we know, and therefore "organic," I guess. All of the meat we eat is also local, and not full of hormones. We even have Amish chicken around here that run around outside. How many people can say they eat genuine Amish chickens.:) Sometimes I forget that not everyone can do that. It always seems funny to hear people talking about organic foods.

13. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I don't know if thats true. Obviously I'm not claiming to know what people are meant and not meant to do in the grand scheme of things, but humans have a very long intestinal track. The long intestines are found in non meat eating animals. a shorter digestive system is a charateristic of meat-eaters. Humans are the only ones that eat meat. Or so I was taught.

14. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Funny how some people talk about Organic Fruits and Veggies like they are something special. They are NOTHING special. They just don't get the same chemical spray as all other fruits and veggies. My dad was a grape farmer for 38 years, and not ONCE did he make Organic Grapes. He never did it because the Grapes he grew (which, I guess, were not Organic) tasted much better, were bigger, looked nicer, etc.

Man was meant to eat meat, I don't see why people don't understand that. You are no healthier by eating noncooked fruits and vegetables. Where is the protein?

15. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

This is what makes organic foods special. Along with a host of other reasons.

My family used to be farmers too. Everything used to be organic as you didn't have the luxury of pesticides and insecticides in those days. Organic farming is nothing new, in fact it's the complete opposite and is how all farming used to be done.

Obviously taste is subjective but seeing as a lot of top chefs in the finest restaurants now only use organic products, it would suggest that organic foods taste ok. And perhaps without the extensive use of pesticides etc they actually taste how they're meant to taste...

Can you please explain to me why man is meant to eat meat? The increased risk of cancer, heart attacks and higher levels of cholesterol in meat eaters would suggest otherwise. But I'm sure you'll enlighten me.

Well you're wrong again. According to a study completed by Mieko Kimura and Yoshinori Itokawa showed that vitamins and minerals are indeed lost when something is cooked. Incidentally, vegetables lost a significantly higher amount of vitamins than other foods. Not to mention enzymes: "Foods start losing some enzymes and life energy at 105 degrees. By 118 degrees, that’s it. You’ve killed all the enzymes, the life energy"(Knickmeyer, 1998).

Are you trying to suggest that meat is the only source of protein? From rawfoods.com:

I could go on and on.

Edit: I don't want to come across like I'm attacking you personally. It's just that I found some of your opinions slightly lacking shall we say. The whole subject of diet is fascinating and if you want I could gladly recommend some interesting books.

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

How many herbivores have canines (as in teeth)? ;) ;)

17. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Chickens with little hats and beards? :eek:

Sorry, I grew up in an area that has a lot of Amish. I think the term you are looking for is "free-range chicken".

18. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

Correction: Vegetables and Squirrels

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I had a six-month cleansing diet a while ago: for two weeks, fresh-squeezed orange with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and a large crushed clove of garlic first thing, followed by nothing except distilled water.
    Next two weeks: same breakfast, + nothing but raw fruit, fruit juice and water.
    Remaining period: raw fruit, raw veg, juice and water.
    Result: incredible energy, 2 hrs sleep a night, eyes shining, sharp as a pin.
    Trouble is, nobody can keep up, so it gets rather lonely...

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Wow. Did you lose any weight?
    What kind of raw veggies?

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not a spare ounce of fat anyway! :D

Various lettuces, broccoli, chicory, tomatoes, beansprouts, cress, you name it. Actually, once a week I cheated and had some brown rice to be sociable...

22. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

we have more brains than monkeys because we developed the ability to find and eat meat. meat protiens made our brains grow. I mean, if you want to eat like a monkey....then live like one. ;)

23. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The pesticides taste GOOD. Sheesh.

I agree here. I eat pretty much everything (organic/not fruits/veggies, meat, etc.) But the meat is cooked, the veggies are a mix of cooked and raw, and the fruit is all raw. Not a huge amount of organic stuff, but that's just because there is no reason to eat the organics, IMO.

Nicotine is something you do to your body. It is unnatural in the first place. It is an addiction. So is caffeine.

24. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

There are many ways to eat, and live, healthily. I'll never make myself crazy worrying about am I getting enough servings of this, or should I not cook that. This year's health fad is next year's bad idea anyway. Just use common sense, don't read studies to tell you what to eat...

25. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm not sure if the wink wink emoticon means you're joking or not...

Yes humans have canine teeth but they're miniscule compared to those of carnivores (have you ever compared our canines to those of dogs or tigers?!!) and even compared to vegetarian primates like gorillas and orangutans - so yes herbivores do have canine teeth and bigger ones than we do. Our canine teeth are better suited to biting into fruit flesh than tearing into animal hide. Also ONLY plant eaters have molar teeth.

We really have to dispel this myth that humans are designed to eat meat. Although humans have the ability to digest meat, human anatomy clearly favours a diet of plant foods. Our digestive systems are similar to those of plant eater and are completely unlike those of carnivores. For example, all natural meat eaters, like dogs and rats, manufacture they're own vitamin C, whereas we need to consume vitamins through eating fruits and vegetables; carnivores have no digestive enzymes in their saliva at all, and their digestive acids are many times more acidic than those of humans, so the bacteria from rotting flesh won't kill them; natural meat eaters have jaws that move only in a vertical fashion, instead of the grinding motion that ours do; carnivores have a digestive tract only three times there body length to eject rotting flesh quickly; natural meat eaters NEVER develop antherosclerosis, no matter how much saturated fat and cholesterol they consume - this is the disease that kills almost as many people in the industrialised world as all other causes of death combined. The list of physiological differences go on and on...

But to put it simply if humans were designed to eat meat, we wouldn't suffer from heart disease, diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis from doing so. And no, the canine teeth argument doesn't hold any water.