Going AWOL

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, May 16, 2005.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=638635

Can you feel the draught?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

This is one case where I'm glad I'm gay.

It's the first thing I'd say if they tried the draft again.

"Mr. Reich?"

"Yes sir."

"Just checking your paperwork, here..."

"No need to do that, sir, I smoke pole."

"Dismissed."

:D

I won't even judge what the deserters are doing. Part of me thinks they signed up to perform a duty and are not doing what they promised to do, and part of me says eff that, I'd bolt too.

Not a pretty situation. The stupidest move of this administration. Period.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Or in this supply shortage, the recruiter might reply: "Sir I don't care what you smoke, I just passed a guy who told me he smokes heroin on to basic. Gave him a shot of methadone and sent him on his merry way. Now, if you'll please just put on this 'Women Want Me, Fish Fear Me' shirt and step on over to (airquotes) 'salon' for a military haircut."

:p

On a related note: Sure would be nice to see some of the war cheerleaders like Hannity, O Reilly, Pat Robertson, James Dobson and Limbaugh etc. exhorting their viewers to sign up for service, since they seem so convinced we're doing the right thing. Haven't heard anything on that topic from any of them though...

4. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

consider the source.

also, desertions are common in every army and the reporting of it has always been used as propaganda tools by both sides in a conflict and this "article" is no different.

From the article

wtf?

meh, what's the news?

5. iGary Guest

iGary

You mean the same Pat Robertson that said a hurricane would hit Orlando because Disney was having a gay week and a week later one hit Virginia beach, where he is headquartered?

You mean the same Limbaugh that has/had a hydrocodone habit?

Bill "boycott France" O Reilly?

James "execute homosexuals" Dobson?

Four good reasons I left the republican party.

I really just try and tune the whole thing in Iraq out. What a mess.

6. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Oh I am considering it. And the lilies of the field. ;)

7. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Great article. I personally am wondering - I am opposed to war - can I actually register as a concientious objector WITHOUT signing up for service? I just want it that way so they can never even call on me.

8. iGary Guest

iGary

Just have a friend run over your leg with a car if you get a draft notice, or if you ar a woman, get knocked up. :D

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Show them Mandi and lisp, you'll have no problems.

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

oh i've seen some over here who deserted during our conscription service because we were sent to 2 months of border patrol service

2 others appeared the day before with broken fingers and one with a broken arm..
    the 2 with broken fingers were sent anyway and the one with the broken arm was sent after us the next week
    and for one who fled it took like 3 days and he was sent anyways

overall it were like 3-4 out of 140 i think and yet we weren't even going 'to war'

12. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    How stupid is this guy?
    What did he think he would be taught in the Army?

I don't feel sorry for someone that signs up, peace-time or war-time, and then realizes that war is no fun.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about pharmacists who sign up and then realize that the job entails handing out birth control or morning-after pills but they wont do it?

14. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

But O'Reilly has been in combat, he's seen it. If a member of his unit was in danger, he would do anything it takes to ensure their safety.

Al Franken does it so much better.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What is the military's definition of being AWOL? Does anyone know?

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Well, when you're enlisted, your ass belongs to them.

Much of the time, it's like a regular job, except if you miss the time you're supposed to be at work, you're AWOL and not just an irresponsible employee.

17. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Short, sharp, and to the point. I like it.
    :)

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Maybe, but not what I wanted to know. I was looking for a factual definition.

19. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Isn't it simply being absent from your post without leave, like Bush was?

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Yes. You have times when you're to report for duty. Not showing up is AWOL.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Absent WithOut Leave. Yes, by definition. But what I wanted to know is, of the 5,000+ military personnel who are (according to the piece) AWOL, how many are effectively deserters from the armed forces and how many are soldiers who reported back to their units late from a weekend pass.

22. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

I presume these are the numbers who are currently absent from their posts - without leave. If they had returned, they would no longer be AWOL. It's a condition, not an act.

But I agree, you could make a valid distinction between short- and long-term absenteeism.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The writer of this article ought to make that distinction -- unless of course he doesn't actually know (or worse yet, care). The implication is that this figure represents mass desertions from the armed forces over fighting in Iraq (the only examples cited), but then he mentions some that have been "missing for decades." So is this a cumulative number, and over what period of time?

24. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Stupid.
    But I would think the pharmacist was even more stupid if he became a pharmacist to try to prevent the distribution of birth control/morning after pills, and then become distraught when he couldn't do this. which is more in line with what I was commenting on.

25. takao macrumors 68040

takao

my gues : it's the same as over here

let's say if you have to line up i nthe morning at 7:30 after breakfast cleaning etc.
    and you show up the same day because you missed the train or call by telephone that you had accident etc. then you're Lieutenant might bark at you for a day but it's no problem normally
    if it's more than 24 hours it goes up into the next instance etc. then you will get barked at by the regiments colonel (if it wasn't an accident) and military police is set on the case (i think .. i didn't tried it ;)) ... on more than 3 days/72hours the whole thing moves up again .. and now you're getting into real trouble with possible going into prison ...after you finished your normal 8 months ;)

i'm sure it's similar all around the world ... i think i even have the number somewhere which to call if you had an accident or knew you couldn't make it in time ;)