Going back to the Gym

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Motley, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Motley macrumors 6502

Dec 11, 2005
    I realize there was a gym thread a few months back. But here I go.

I'm planning on going signing up for a nearby gym and was looking for some good workout advice. I've lost about 50 lbs doing cycling the last few years so fat isn't a huge concern for me, but I've been neglecting any kind of weight lifting and that is what I would primarily be using the gym for. So I was looking for peoples advice on workout routines.
  2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2006
    If the gym has a Personal Trainer service, sign up and pick his/her brains.

Good luck!
  3. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
    I say start on the weights now :D I've lost about that much too. Now I do weights x cardio
  4. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Nov 27, 2006
    North of where I'd like to be
    I prefer free weights to Nautilus, Kaiser, or other machines 'cause it forces me to be more attuned to my body. I got sloppy on the machines and really hurt my back.
    Smartest move I ever made was getting a personal trainer to get me through a free weights routine. She makes sure my body is correctly aligned and pushes me to go harder. (My iPod gets me through the treadmill, though).
    I got into core training, a combo of free weights and Pilates abs work that protects my lower back from weightlifting. (Pilates looks simple; it's not). I work out 3X week, starting with a cardio warmup on the treadmill for about 20 minutes, then into weights and pushups, then Pilates and stretching.
  5. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    Western Australia
    also maybe try a "body pump" or "body combat" class (Les Mills)

body pump is basically free weights in a class, with an instructor, it might sound silly but it works the **** out of you, easy to over do it too!

body combat is more a fast paced combat style class, high BPM etc
  6. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    I would defiantly go for a weight training routine with maybe 10-20 minutes of cardio after.....If you combine this with a good diet you will see very good results in no time.

7. BarryW macrumors member

Jan 21, 2007
    South Africa, Jo'burg /U.A.E, Dubai
    Hi Motley

If you are already cycling on a regular basis, there is no need to include a cardio session in your workout. But sometimes changing your cardio workout to running or swimming can have a great impact on overall fitness.

I prefer free weight to "machines" as your core muscles get a work out more than on the machines.
    Free weights also give a larger range of motion, however done incorectly can lead to injury

If your gym has assistants ask them to check your form - generally you want to keep your spine aligned eg. When bench pressing I had a tendency of watching the weight move up and down, thus putting strain on my neck. Rather lay flat on your back and fix your focus on a point on the ceiling.

I find gyming with a buddy easier, and results seem to come quicker as you can go heavier and not worry about the weight falling and crushing you. Thus avoiding a rather gruesome public death.

Depending on your aim, strength->high reps(10-12), medium-high weight
    size->lower reps(6-10), high+ weight
    tone->higher reps(15->), low weights

Another common problem is that people forget(don't like) to work on some parts of there bodies, thus overdeveloping one side of the body(eg chest & abs) which puts strain on the other side(Shoulders, neck, back etc)
    (if that make sense)

Gym is meant to be hard work, but its also meant to be fun.
  8. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    Yes, Body Pump is awesome! I used to do it 3 times a week and always really enjoyed it while getting a great work out at the same time. I haven't been to the gym in about a year and I've been meaning to start up again...just need to find that spark of motivation. :eek: