going camping!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by joetronic, Jul 14, 2005.

1. joetronic macrumors 6502

Im so exited I just needed to share. We are going camping/backpacking in the Blue Ridge this weekend. Luray Va area to be exact. We do this trip every summer and I always get gitty a few days before. We leave tomorrow morning. I will post in pics in the photo forum upon my return. Also very exited about testing my new Canon G5.

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

going to the caves? and skyline drive?

very pretty area

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Do they have wifi? I have withdrawals after one day...

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

....?

do you really know of camping areas with wifi? whats the point of getting away from it all if you still bring internet with you?

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm going camping in the blue ridge this weekend as well--actually going on a hike. No computers, just the great outdoors. If I remember, I'll post pictures too.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sounds fun! Hoping I get a chance to get to the mountains this summer too. I'd like to spend a little time in the Seirra foothills somewhere at least.

I've got a friend who's taking about two weeks to backpack the John Muir Trail out of Yosemite valley at about 4000', 225 miles up to the Whitney summit at 14,000 feet. One of these years I'll go with him if I can get that much time off. Rotten teachers.

7. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

We have done the caverns and skyline drive before. This is a hiking trip. We are doing the Massanutten Mt. trail this year. if we have time after the 57 mile trail, we might do some site seeing in town.

Last year we stayed at a actual camp site, and yes we had wi-fi. But we do this trip to get away from everything, so its not a big deal if we have it or not.

And yes, it is a beautiful area

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'll be heading out that way later this summer... four weeks of vacation! You better start cursing the writers, too!

9. Nanda Devi macrumors regular

I'd love to do the Muir trail, it's at the top of my list. Supposed to be a back-breaker, but you can't beat the scenery.

I'm heading out on a backpacking trip myself.... in two hours to be exact. Driving from Michigan to Wyoming for a 5-nighter at 10,000 ft. in the Cloud Peak Wilderness. I'm going to attempt a couple of peaks while I'm there, including Cloud, which is the highest in the Big Horn Mt. range at about 13,5000. Can hardly wait to get on the road (and the trail)!!

Have fun on your trip Joetronic ! :)

10. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i just got back from a trip to Sequoia N.F. ... wasn't as fun as last year, but it was good to get a tan and relax.

The river normally Pix 1, Pix 2

and why it wasn't as fun... the rock (and area) used as a gauge is a class 3 rapid now.

Waiting for our trip up near Ft Bragg for some beach side camping later this year.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nice... I stayed at a little resort in Elk, close to Ft. Bragg a few years ago... very nice place. Little foggy on the coast though. That Skunk Train has gotten expensive lately too.

12. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I'll be camping out on Saturday. Its mostly just to have a second responsible adult with the boys at scout camp.

5 Days to Jambo!

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I went on over 50 camping trips while in the Boy Scouts. But I haven't been on one in about 2.5 years. :( I made almost all of them with the same sleeping bag and frame pack (both EMS). Of course, the sleeping bag is a little small now... ;)

14. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    ahh.. scouting was so fun back in the day... too bad my last jambo wasn't a good memory.

15. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    When I was a scout I never did anything. Now my sons in it I do stuff...