Going Crazy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by driver.joe, Mar 21, 2007.

1. driver.joe macrumors newbie

Mar 21, 2007
    New York
    I'm a PC user that has had it with Window's OS Vista in particular. I have been waiting to buy a Mac since before vista came out. I thought that Leopard would be hear already. Now I here that a new iMac is coming out soon. First are mac's worth the wait because I'm going nuts and can anybody help as to when I should buy and should I wait a bit longer for new iMac's?
  2. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

Oct 4, 2006
    If you can wait, Leopard is round the corner, the big secret is when it's coming out though...

If you're a new mac user I'd just say buy it, Mac OS X Tiger will blow you away (it did with me anyway - Spotlight OMG1!!!1!!1!!:rolleyes: )

Least helpful post ever but I'm sorry, Leopard is still masked in obscurity :(
  3. ruZZ.il macrumors member

Jan 28, 2007
    If you could post what kind of things you intend to do with it, etc.. i.e, if its just email, web, work music and movies or some photoshop, video editing, data acquisition, analysis, encoding.. if you have any windows related programs (like for work, or for specific tasks.. even though there's a mac equivalent for just about anything.. and then some.. ). You'll get plety of thoughts as to what to buy and I've seen mostly good advice around here on this stuff. The aren't TOO many options because just a few cover it all.. the mini, imac, mac pro, macbook macbook pro.. older ones, refurbished ones, etc... budget?
    I'm personally using a 2.33 ghz core2duo macbook pro with 2gb of ram and its been smooth sailing since day one :) My lady has a mac mini which is good for what she does.. I've got an old ibook 466mhz with 512mb ram around the house which is great for email, web, music, movies(just) and online poker:p.. so visitors dont need to use mine. its running the latest os x 10.4 and its great.. so it all really depends what you want to do with it, and where.. let us know.
  4. driver.joe thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 21, 2007
    New York
    Still thinking

I'll wait a little like too April 15 if leopard not out I'll just buy and upgrade later!
    I do some music editing for ringtones and a lot of downloading of avi files to make DVD out of them. Never had a mac but I love always having the latest that is why the waiting. I was just hoping somebody had inside information.
  5. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2006
    Fenton, MO
    I'm waiting to see what they do with the new iMacs and then I'll probably try to buy something. It'd be nice if the new iMacs + Leopard hit at the same time, but that's anyone's guess. :eek:
  6. elbruelsio macrumors member

Mar 5, 2007
    I was in your shoes...

...until last week when I ordered an iMac. I couldn't wait any longer because my PC is 7 years old and very unusable at this point. I've taken some heat for ordering now; however, the way I see it is that I really need a computer. Also, I don't know what the next gen iMacs will be like; I might love them or I might hate them. The fact is that I know what the current iMacs have to offer and I really like it. If you need a computer right now then buy one right now and don't worry about when the next upgrades will come. If you think you can wait until April you might as well wait until Leopard comes out.
  7. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

Mar 6, 2006
    Leopard probably won't be out by April 15... :(
  8. driver.joe thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 21, 2007
    New York

OK, I must have picked a bad time to switch to the Mac! My PC is only 2 1/2 years old so I can wait but I just had my heart set on a new Mac. I can't see getting it so close to the OS change. know what I mean? I will say that if I have to wait to October like they are now saying I will go ******* NUTS. I really hope it won't past the WWDC in June.
  9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Nah man don't worry about it. Apple updates the OS every 1.5 years, and you don't have all the driver incompatabilities you get in the Windows world when new OS's come out.

No worries getting a Mac right before Leopard comes out.
  10. tristan macrumors 6502a

Jul 19, 2003
    high-rise in beautiful bethesda
    It's always a good time but never a great time to make the switch if you know what I'm saying... With Apple the product is great but there's always something even more amazing coming up. You just have to jump in.
  11. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2002

Apple must update the iMac on April 15th and release Leopard and release iLife 07. If they do not, my parents are going to buy an HP with windows Vista. That sucks.

Please, please, please, update those iMacs.