Going Darwin on stupid users?

Discussion in 'Community' started by SiliconAddict, Jun 21, 2005.

1. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

*slams head into keyboard*

23193z.;/!@!~_+2221a-=[021[2!2!a2?32'/PWS4E

Note to self: Stop giving people more credit then they deserve when it comes to their intelligence.

I'm rolling out a new system to of my the users in my office. Called her and left a message to please let me know what her passwords are on her system. (e-mail, network, vpn, etc.) She leaves me a voicemail while I'm at lunch. "Hi Jonathan. My password is blahblahblah. Yah know it would be just easier to just e-mail it to you. Bye"

(Edit for clarification: YES. She sent me her passwords thought unencrypted e-mail.)

Now you know WB cartoons have the classic eyes popping out of their head effect. One thing that happens in real life when this occurs is that they don't go back. So after spending a few minutes rolling my optic nerve back into my head I am now trying to figure out the best way to kill this user. Death being the easiest way of resetting all the freaking passwords we are now going to have to generate service "tickets" for now because a user is CRITICALLY FARKING STUPID!!!! ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!! Because if this user died == leaving the company and there is one single form to request that the user's accounts be disabled. *SLAMS HEAD INTO KEYBOARD AGAIN*
    Why am I not allowed to do security training classes? Why? Why? Why? I’d even offer the bloody service pro bono on my own time if it meant teaching our users some basic good security practices!!! Hell I'd take a vacation day for it. Anything to raise the freaking IQ points of the users in our office above the chimp level. Of course that is insulting the chimp. Even they know to throw crap when something seems wrong. I'm starting to really hate being in a company where the T word == a swear. Once upon a time we had a dedicated IT person who did nothing but training. That was 4 years ago. You can see how people's IQ's have dropped since then. :(

That was therapeutic. Sorry had to vent somewhere.

2. jdechko macrumors 68040

I can sympathize with you regarding stupid computer users, and the like (including corporate bureaucracy).

What does it for me is simple solutions for problems that are always overlooked. For instance, the vast majority of people hate Firefox. It would solve 95% of all pop-up/spyware problems, yet people just can't get their head around it. I had one guy (a web-developer, no less) tell me "Firefox is the devil. I can't get any webpages to look right in it."

People like that are just... :mad: ... They make me sooo mad.

3. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

yep users are thick is shhh*** lol but without em i would be out of a job.

how many of your users have there password's on a post it note stuck to there TFT lol

:rolleyes:

4. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

lol it is for similar reasons I flatout REFUSE to help people w/ their PC's at work.

I do all the web and computer "geek" stuff in our office, and this somehow gave me the title of 'the guy to go to if something breaks.'

Some samples of my anti-favorites:

-User gets new tower, keeps monitor. Asks, "Where did my icons go? I only changed computers, not screens."

-"Why can't I click this link..I made the text blue..."

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Clearly you need a new TazerMouse™ with remote USB-overzap driver.

Yes, it's a super crappy Photoshop job.. :)

Attached Files:

6. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

People who hate Firefox either:
    A. work for microsoft
    B. never tried it
    C. fear change

The truth is that more webpages look better on Firefox than IE for me. The only problem i've had with it is with loading my band's myspace, which is the only reason i still have IE on my desktop. This plus the fact that it blocks virtually all of my pop ups and that I can use tab-browsing makes Firefox the best windows alternative to IE in my opinion. :)

7. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

HAHAHA, thats just so sad!!!

My friends often call me up with stupid things like that but nothing that bad.

8. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I'm a programmer now, sufficiently shielded from end-users. However, when in college I worked helping users in the university computing labs. The all time best question I have ever received is...

It seems hard to believe but I did not make this up and I was not on drugs at the time. As a side note this user was a blond female - I can't help but throw that in because the way she spoke really did fit the stereotype.

LOL Oh, those were the days - that job provided so many great stories.

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

D. are stupid users
    E. don't know what the ANY KEY is lol

:D

10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Here's a lyric to a nice, old song to play in your head while reading through the posts in this thread: "They would not listen, they're not listening still; perhaps they never will." For the frustrated programmers and computer geeks, there are options other than suicide or homacide. I wish we all could improve on our listening skills, though.
    X

11. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Better questions to ask:
    1. Why do you need her password? At my company we don't need a user's password to deploy a new computer. Just image the HD, plug in new computer, done!

2. Why do we have to keep changing passwords all the time? Every 90 days at my work and it can't be anything previously used.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ditto this... that's strange. I have never heard of IT managers calling people and asking for their passwords on voicemail. What did you expect her to do? Or were you testing her? But then again, I have only worked at sites with large managed systems (always in the 5k+ seats range).

13. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I'm not in IT, but somehow I became the answer person for some computer issues at my work. The two must stupid comments I've gotten are:

1. "What do you mean "right click"?"

And...

2. Q. "The "Start" button? Wheres the "Start" button?"
    A. "Its at the bottom left of your screen. Move the pointer to the bottom left and it should pop up."
    Q. "I think my Start button is broke. It wont stay up. When I move the mouse, it goes away.

At which point my eyes just glaze over.

14. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

in our company the it people never need our password. i remember 1 instance when they needed my password for setting up some webmail. i told them verbally and changed it right afterwards. my password is none of their business. but must users have their first name or 1234567 anyway. i guess i'm the only one using a random pw and changeing it frequently.

but yes, you're right. (we) users are stupid regarding computers. but computers are not our business. we just use them. if a tool is to complicated then people screw up. it's nice that you want to train users but it shouldn't be that way. the systems have to become so easy and intuitive that we don't need training. in fact as a user i shouldn't be dealing with the os at all, just with the program interface that i need for my job, nothing else. the rest is for private life, for fun or for IT. (e.g. i don't need to know anything about car electronics to be a good driver.)

but we're a long way from computers like this. so it seems we will have to live with complicated systems and dumb users......

15. mac-er macrumors 65816

Am I missing something?

You call and ask what her passwords are. She calls back and lets you know what the passwords are.

So how does this make her stupid? She was giving you the info you requested.

:confused:

16. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I know people who want to get those installed where I work.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Looks like you need a couple decent bumper stickers for you office door.

May I suggest...

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

18. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....when not pushing Duff, I work as an I.T. guy...and today I had two real losers one right after another....first one calls - my screen is black, nothing on it at all...so I ask - is it powered on? Short silence....then she asks - where is the power button? Of course, that was exactly the problem. Second loser - stops me in the hallway - a laptop user that also has an external display...can't get anything to show up on the external display...I go look - yup - he didn't have it connected to the laptop.....oh yeah!

19. SiliconAddict thread starter macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Kinda hard to replicate notes without her password. Little hard to install the various apps that are user profile specific. Next to impossible to setup the VOIDA dialer and Nortel VPN client without being IN the user's profile.
    90 days. Would you like to wait 90 days after a series of passwords were sent in plain text over the net? Do you know anything about VPN authentication? An embedded password in a certificate does not expire after 90 days. Nor can it without being reissued. :rolleyes: If IT at my company hadn't been cannibalized 3 years ago and turned into a political cluster**** maybe. Just maybe I would have the environment you are talking about. As it stand I can't even roll out a new version of Acrobat reader without a project plan that has to go through 8 managers.
    Let alone change how the desktop works. It’s the difference between playing armchair admin and actually working in a medium sized environment. You need to be allowed to make massive changes to how people log into the system to get to the point you are describing. I was well on my way to getting where you are now when IT got roadblocked. Now its simply a matter of just surviving. For now. I do the best I can. We JUST got rid of the last Netware 4.11 box running IPX\SPX last week. I've been pushing for 4 years for that.
    Getting back to asking the person for their password. My rule of thumb is full resets on most passwords when the system is deployed so I don’t know then but my point of the post is this person sent ALL of her passwords via e-mail. Check that non-encrypted e-mail.
    If that doesn’t get you all bug eyed then you obviously don’t understand how pop e-mail works or don't appreciate the nature of what they did.

20. SiliconAddict thread starter macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Reread my post. She sent her passwords in an e-mail. Yah e-mail that goes on the net. Net where e-mails that are unencrypted are fair game to just about anyone.

21. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Check out clientcopia.com to know that you're not alone!

An example:

22. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Those top 20 are hysterical. Number 14 is just sad though. I had to sit in silence for a couple minutes after reading that just to really understand what I had just read.

23. bartelby macrumors Core

On the flip side...

A while back I needed some software installed. The IT guy had never heard of it, even though it's a free download from our own website so customers can access datasets.
    He said that he'd give me full admin privileges so I could do it myself.
    Now I'm no IT person, but surely that's against most IT policies?

24. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    It depends but most places yes.

Consider yourself lucky.

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And keep quiet, so you don't get them taken away! :eek: ;) :D