Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KBFinFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2003
Connecticut, USA
Hey,

Long time w/o a post, but thanks for all the advice regarding PBs about two years ago...

Anyway, I'm thinking about getting a new iMac (20" 2.0GHz), especially with the educational discount and now the $100 rebate that they are offering for the spring. I love my PB (15" 1.25G4 RevA), but part of me wants to sell it and upgrade before it becomes even more outdated than it already is. I do enjoy having the portability, but with school coming to an end I don't think it will be as necessary as it once was. Also, I really would like to enjoy the performance increase that the G5 brings to the table.

Questions:
Is the 2.0Ghz going to blow the pants of my PB?
Is it worth, in essence, exchanging one for another?
I know it's up to my usage, but what would you do?
Has anyone made a similar switch?

Any other comments/suggestions would be appreciated as always (and is anyone in the market for a used PB :) )?

Thanks as always everyone!

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
I dont own a G5, but i tested it at a store. Boy is it fast, iMovie from the brief use was 40% faster. At least it felt like it. Even for every day tasks it is a pleasure. Up the ram as usual and it is a affordable beast :D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
A 1.25GHz G4 PB isn't out of date.

I'd actually recommend not to bother since your system is still good. Well, this is my advice assuming you don't do hard core intensive stuff with your PB. If you do, then by all means. However, I wouldn't bother upgrading until the next iMac update (whenever that will be). Actually, I wouldn't bother until the iMac is around double the speed of your PB, and I don't believe it is right now.

If you really do want a faster system just for the heck of it, sell the PB and you'll pretty much get your iMac at a very small additional cost to you, I'd think.

KBFinFan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2003
Connecticut, USA
Thanks for the advice thusfar..

I think in some ways I'm just ready for a change of pace. I've always been a desktop person, and the PB was my first laptop. Sometimes I miss the desktop orientation, and that it is a lot more durable and tough than my PB (the PB is tough, but I baby it and worry about it :p).

Another thing is that the iMac is a great deal (before the educational discount and $100 rebate they are offering). Plus I get the Tiger upgrade "for free" as well as iLife '05, things I hadn't yet purchased. Ideally, one day, I'll have a nice iMac/PM and a 12"PB for on the road applications.

Hmmmm....

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
KBFinFan said:
Thanks for the advice thusfar..

I think in some ways I'm just ready for a change of pace. I've always been a desktop person, and the PB was my first laptop. Sometimes I miss the desktop orientation, and that it is a lot more durable and tough than my PB (the PB is tough, but I baby it and worry about it :p).

Another thing is that the iMac is a great deal (before the educational discount and $100 rebate they are offering). Plus I get the Tiger upgrade "for free" as well as iLife '05, things I hadn't yet purchased. Ideally, one day, I'll have a nice iMac/PM and a 12"PB for on the road applications.

Hmmmm....

hey,

everybody's different, but i must say that after switching from a pb to an imac g5, i miss my pb, big time. if i could go back, i would. i hate the fact that i have to be in one place all the time..

just a lil' warning :) thing hard before you switch!

p.s. the g5 does v. well, especially at processor intensive tasks (duh) but a 1.25ghz pb is still usable - keep it a lil' while longer i think!

macorama

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
KBFinFan said:
Is the 2.0Ghz going to blow the pants of my PB?
Absolutely. It's G5 vs G4, 2GHz vs 1.25GHz, way faster HD, faster RAM, core image support on the iMac which will make a difference once you're on Tiger. Bigger and better screen too. I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than twice as fast for most things.

If you don't need the portability, then do it. If you do need the portability, then hang onto your powerbook, and wait for a significant upgrade there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.