Going from Eudora to Mail.app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stooby, Aug 19, 2006.

1. stooby macrumors newbie

After many, many years of Eudora I am at last moving to Mail.app. I was pushed by my new university employer computer folks, who don't support Eudora, but I had been thinking about making the move for some time -- what appeals to me most, of course, about Apple Mail is its integration with the other OS X Apple applications.

But I have been surprised at how awkward the shift has been for me. I used the Eudora Mailbox Cleaner to make the import, which solved the irritating hangup of having it seem as if all imported messages were unread, but in return I have to Rebuild every single freaking mailbox one at a time. In fact, I think the need to Rebuild is the source of my greatest irritation/confusion -- as I am trying to clean up old messages and have moved large numbers from one place to another, there have been glitches, extremely slow transfers, and the irritating and often alarming habit that Mail has of at first telling you that the mailbox is empty. (Or, alternatively, of making messages that I had sent to another mailbox reappear -- often in both places, now in duplicate.)

With Eudora, whatever its unpretty text-based clunkiness, the mailboxes were mailboxes and the user, it seems to me, had more control. Even in imap, the mail listings were pretty stable, even when it had to re-download the message from the server. (I have often had one account in imap and another in pop.)

Speaking of being in more control, one of the things I dislike about Mail is the inability to create another Sent folder without actually creating another account (or what Eudora calls "personalities.") When I imported my Eudora messages, the old "Out" box was lumped in with all the received mail -- so that rather than showing to whom it was sent, it noted from whom, which of course was me, me, me, me, me etc., etc. Now when I put it in my sent folder, it dumped it in with the sent from my new account. Now of course Eudora only has one Out box, into which all sent messages go, but Eudora doesn't get grumpy or pokey the way Mail does with large mailboxes. That is, I could keep all 1,500 sent mails in my Out-box without its needing to be Rebuilt, or doing that weird thing where it appears to be showing a clock (or is it a circle graph? what is it for?) to the right of the mailbox's name as it rediscovers what is in there.

Our tech folks recommend using Thunderbird, but then, undoubtedly our tech folks are mostly PC-oriented. I would like to stay with Mail for the reasons I mentioned above -- that is, its easy integration with Safari, iPhoto, PhotoBooth , etc., etc. I've been hunting around for plugins/helper applications that might address some of my complaints, but I haven't seen anything so far. If anyone here has any thoughts, comments, etc., I would be grateful.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Erm, congratulations! :) Were you just making an announcement or looking for help? :eek:

3. stooby thread starter macrumors newbie

Er, sorry

Sorry mkrishnan, I accidentally hit "post" when I was one sentence into an extended rant/cry-for-help, which is now completed, if not entirely coherent.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

:D

No worries!

Although, erm, my experience has generally been very similar to yours in terms of annoyances with pushing large amounts of mail through Mail 2.x, although I find that it's mostly the slowness -- the apparent "building" of the boxes you want to look at -- and that I get what I want/need/expect after a pause.

However, here are two treasure troves of goodies -- not specifically addressing our issues per se... that you might like:

http://www.tikouka.net/mailapp/
    http://homepage.mac.com/aamann/Mail_Scripts.html

5. stooby thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I had seen those as I googled around, but as you say, I'm not sure they address what I am complaining about -- and the MailScripts add on, which seems like the most extensive, suggests that it is designed for older versions of both OSX and of Mail. (That is, he warns that it doesn't work entirely with Tiger.)

Let's hope Apple gives a big boost to Mail in their next revision. And in the meantime I'm going to try to slim down my mailboxes and not move too much mail down at one time, though I may grumble a bit to myself about how I didn't have to do this with Eudora.

6. stooby thread starter macrumors newbie

7. stooby thread starter macrumors newbie

And to add ...

One more item to my list of frustrations, I am trying to organize the address panel within Mail, and it seems that you can't delete old, unused addresses that clutter it up. Unless I'm missing something.

Again, Mail seems surprisingly clunky for Apple.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you mean the address panel or the Previous Recipients list? The address panel shows you people in Address Book. And it looks like it does not offer the ability to delete people from Address Book from within Mail. But you can certainly remove them by opening Address Book and deleting them there. You can also right-click a contact in the list and choose the edit option, which will bring that contact up in Address Book to make it easier.

Previous Recipients shows you people who may or may not be in address book, but to whom you have previously sent e-mail (people from both categories are automatically looked up when you start typing a name). You can delete people on that list by clicking on them and clicking the remove from list icon at the bottom of the window.

Does that help? I guess the thing that's different now is that Mail is looking into Address Book's contact list. Actually, I guess I should just full stop there, since I'm not sure you knew that your contacts ended up in a different application than Mail.

This is different from Eudora managing its own separate contact list. I think this is one of those things where Apple streamlines common processes at the expense of making more unusual ones very difficult to do. I very, very rarely delete anyone from my Address Book. So I've never even thought about this issue. Right? But if it's something your line of activities causes you to do frequently, then, I could certainly see it being a nuisance.

9. stooby thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right

It seemed odd not to be able to change the addresses within Mail -- instead to switch to another application to do so, but in the end I suppose that is what integration is all about. (But then again, having the ability to change addresses on the address panel might make sense too.)

And now that I've stopped moving and deleting large numbers of messages as part of my house cleaning, I don't seem to be having as many issues with mailboxes constantly needing to be rebuilt.

We shall see.