Going from iLife '06 back to '05?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BurtonCCC, Feb 16, 2006.

1. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Is there any way to do this? If so, can I then reinstall only the applications and updates from '06 that I want? I'm only asking because iLife '06 has been a real hard drive space waster for me. The only updates I really need are GarageBand and iPhoto.

Daniel.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Why don't you just delete iMovie/iDVD and iWeb then? Delete them from the Applications folder and clear out the themes from Application Support and you'll have your HD space again.

Unless you have a backup of your iPhoto 5 library handy, it might be quite tricky to revert to 5; particularly given the structural changes that 6 made

3. raythepa macrumors member

Yeah thats interesting the space requirement for '05 is 4.5 GB and for '06 is 10 GB.

4. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

It's THAT many GB's???? Glad I bought the bigger hard drive for my MBP. Ummm you realize that the photolibrary might give you a slightly hard time. I believe the new iPhoto does something to "upgrade" your library. So, the photos are still fine and would import into iPhoto 05, but you may not be able to just use the existing library without reimporting everything. I'm not sure if this is the case, but think about it.

5. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I think I'm just going to stick with all the stuff in '06 until it really becomes an issue. The process of converting about 7,300 songs to AAC is freeing up so much space. But for future reference, say I delete iDVD, will I be able to just run the iLife '06 install again and it will know to just install that program?

Daniel

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Not exactly - you'd put in the iLife DVD and when you got to install, you'd shoose Options in the bottom left corner. Then you'd deselect the apps that you still had (since you don't want to overwrite them back to 6.0.0) and just select iDVD.

7. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC