Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stagecustom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Ontario
hey guys have a couple questions, i am gonna be going from a 1.42 512mb ram ppc mac mini to a 1.5 Core solo mini in the next week. FEW questions:

1. I am guessing Carbon CC is out? because its not the same processor.
2. Can i use the migration assistant SO i won't lose my iphoto, itunes, and mail addresses, that is a BIG one
3. I have final cut pro for PPC, will it work on the intel or do i have to buy another copy?
4. Will MS office 2004 work if i have the PPC version. Or will it be really slow from Rosetta?
5. intel's cannot do firewire boot correct? if so will it work with migration assistant or not... i just don't want to have to lose anything and i don't have an external drive to back up onto, it did a month ago and i don't have the money to replace it....

6. Do i need to do anything special or will frontrow automatically find and organize all my stuff.
THANKS!

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
1. Sorry can't help you there
2. Never used it personally but I guess it should work fine. I would prefer an external storage device though. Can also be used as backup.
3. It will work fine, but slower than the Intel version
4. There is no Intel Office version yet. The 2004 works great, a bit slow on startup though.
5. Firewire: Yes Migration: again sorry don't know
6. If you've organized your files using iTunes then all your files should be visible in Front Row.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
i have done a firewire boot on my macbook, when i had it. I haven't tried it on my mbp though.

and final cut will not run on comps with intergrated graphics and 512mb of ram. 64mb minimum for the gma950 that is no longer available to osx and final cut gets pissy and wont run. Neither shake or motion with the stock ram.:mad:

also the migration assistent works great, and your new mac will have all the same settings and files as your old mac.

stagecustom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Ontario
Rokem said:
i have done a firewire boot on my macbook, when i had it. I haven't tried it on my mbp though.

and final cut will not run on comps with intergrated graphics and 512mb of ram. 64mb minimum for the gma950 that is no longer available to osx and final cut gets pissy and wont run. Neither shake or motion with the stock ram.:mad:

also the migration assistent works great, and your new mac will have all the same settings and files as your old mac.
So i can't run FCP on an intel mini? with 512mb ram? but i could on my 1.25ghz mac mini which i had before. How is that possible/?

stagecustom

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Ontario
Last question, How do i transfer the mail contacts and address books, that is very important to me... and my adium set up, is there a way to save that exactly as is?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.