Going from XP to Windows7 (64-bit) on Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mbpAlum, Oct 22, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi, i've seen a few other threads related to this, but none seem too definitive.
    Now that Windows 7 is out, I'm sure many of us will want to run that. I resisted Vista because it sucked, but I want to put 7 on my comp.

My university issued me a download of Windows 7 professional 64-bit. Right now I'm running XP 32-bit. I downloaded the windows 7 .iso and burnt it to a DVD.
    I tried to boot from the CD, but it didn't work, it brought me to my Mac partition. I kinda realized that was a stupid idea, and started looking for an answer to my strains.

Microsoft says you can't just upgrade from 32- to 64-bit, you'll need to do a full install. I for sure want to run 64-bit, to optimize it's performance.

So, it looks like I'm going to have to delete my XP partition and get a new one for Windows 7.
    I'm running Leopard 10.5.8 which has BootCamp 2.0. I don't think it would support Windows 7. Should i first get a BootCamp 3.0??

OTOH, is none of this necessary? Is there some way I can upgrade from XP (32-) to windows 7 (64-) just on my windows partition without having to interact with the mac partition?

Thanks, i hope this isn't a redundant question....

2. macrumors 6502

Since you can't I believe upgrade from XP to Windows 7 then you really are better of doing a full reinstall. If I were you, I would also seriously consider upgrading to Snow Leopard since that includes Boot Camp 3.0.

3. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Did you just miss the "Press any key to boot from DVD." prompt?

They usually do this to make sure that on a Windows box if you have left the DVD in the drive it'll still boot to the hard disk.

If not then try running XP and starting the Windows 7 installer from there.

B

4. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

As a rule of thumb: always, always, always do a clean install. Upgrading is a terrible idea. But even so, going from 32-bit to 64-bit (or vis versa) requires that you do a clean install; there's no way around it.

5. Rad
    macrumors regular

Can do with Clean Install

Please see the following thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=8699392#post8699392

I upgraded a bootcamp partition from Win XP 32-bit to Win 7 64-bit via a "Custom" (really Clean) install. You do not need Snow Leopard to do the install. The ONLY drive I had in my Mac Pro was with an empty Mac partition and a Bootcamp partition, no Mac Boot drive at all.