Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captainbeefheat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
UK
I have noticed every so often probably once or twice a week when I use usb hard drives and flash drives with the ibook which I do a lot that it locks the system up. I noticed recently that 9/10 if you just yank the drive out which i don't really wana do everything goes back to normal as before i just powered it off from the button. I have noticed it's done it once or twice with my imac too, but I use that machine far less frequently. This some sort of known software bug or is there a fix or way to prevent it? As a part from that i haven't had any crashes, just a odd bluetooth issue that was sorted by a restart and another incident that panicked me more as suddenly the computer seemed to power down, (screen went off) so turned it off the ibook off completely at the button and worked fine after that.

captainbeefheat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
UK
just to add to this, well a problem i have just got threw is, i noticed that the about mac thing said i had 512mb of ram when i had 1gb inserted. So i shutdown took the chip out and put it back in, then boot well try the first time i hear the noise but nothing happens, second attempt worked fine (this didn't help my state of mind but it had done this once before a while back so meh) it says i have 768 memory! Sooo i take out the chip all together and boot to see it says 512 which would suggest the dodgyness was to do with the cruical chip i put in. So i blow on the chip and put that back in and now it states the correct ram 1GB, should i be concerned? I didn't personally put the memory in myself a friend did a month or so ago as he's into the whole upgrading thing and happened to be around at the time. It concerns me now in fact more as the way he was putting it in didn't seem like the way i just read through to do it so not sure if it was simply because it wasn't in quite right, just the bit were it says 768 which I'm not sure about.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
do you have USB hard drives and flash drives in there at the same time? I have never had anything go wrong wiith just pulling it out of the slot, but i agree that it is not reccomended. I don't think repairing permission will do anything but you should try to keep that upgraded. How long has this been happening? Did you upgrade the machine (ie 10.3 to 10.4)?

Good luck!

captainbeefheat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
UK
I do yes, mostly connected via a seven socket hub.

Not in fact sure what version it came with, it's .4 now anyway had a lot of updates at the start. Been happenng i think since i have had the thing (5 weeks ago) but like i said only once in a while it happens.

Tried a hardware test but i couldn't get that to work, the option key is the one with a alt on it?

Everything seems to work fine currently, would it simply just be that the ram chip was a little loosly fitted?

captainbeefheat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
UK
placebo_from_AI said:
Is the drive Mac-formatted?

nope, non are. Hmm that could be the problem then? That will be fine for the flash drives although the hard disk is 320GB and about half full...it is fat32 though I thought that was fine with mac?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
captainbeefheat said:
it is fat32 though I thought that was fine with mac?

FAT32 is both readable and writable in OS X. There are some limitations with it though.

1. If doesn't store as much info with a file as HFS+. For example, apps will usually not run on a FAT32 volume.

2. A file may not be bigger than 4 GB minus 1 byte.

captainbeefheat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
UK
I use it as a mass store of media, including it's the place i store my itunes libary, which is about 15 or 20GB so I can't really store it on the hard disk as thats 40GB and already half full. All apps are run off the internal drive.

I don't use it for video or anything like that so the files aren't huge each as far as I'm aware.

The drive does take a long time I do notice to show up on the desktop, seems busy for a long time, can hear the hard disk doing stuff and the busy light flashing.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
captainbeefheat said:
I do yes, mostly connected via a seven socket hub.

Not in fact sure what version it came with, it's .4 now anyway had a lot of updates at the start. Been happenng i think since i have had the thing (5 weeks ago) but like i said only once in a while it happens.

Tried a hardware test but i couldn't get that to work, the option key is the one with a alt on it?

Everything seems to work fine currently, would it simply just be that the ram chip was a little loosly fitted?

1. a seven socket hub might have something to do with it.
2. If you bought it 5 weeks ago then you didn't do the 10.3 > 10.4 upgrade.
3. option key is the one with alt on it
4. i doubt it.

captainbeefheat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
UK
ok thanks i might see what happens when i always plug them in directly. Although i do remember one of the times was when i was in uni...obviously without the hub.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.