Going IBM to MAC - Advice on a laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Tvag, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Tvag macrumors newbie

Tvag

Ok folks, a little help would be appreciated. I used to be really into PC when DOS was king of OS's but I'm out of my prime now... :eek:

My wife and I are buying a laptop and it's going to be an Apple. I need a stable system I don't have to fight with and my wife is into graphic arts and the like... Apples the way to go... :D

NOW...

What should I get. We fell in love with the Powerbook 15" but for what we intend on using the laptop for I don't know if it's worth the extra money over an IBook 14". We'll be using it as our primary PC. Email, word processing, printing, websurfing, blah blah blah. She of course for PhotoShop and other programs of the like.

I'll take questions, pro's and con's. Also, if you've got the name of a decent all in one printer that is very compatible with apples I'd like to hear it. I was thinking the HP PSC Photosmart 2610 All-in-One or Canon PIXMA MP780 Multi-function Printer. :confused:

Thanks!

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

The powerbook's monitor is better for editing pictures and the like -- bigger, brighter, less fussy about viewing angle. Otherwise, unless you want to hook it up to an external monitor, it's not really much more powerful than the 14-inch iBook. I have the 14-incher and it serves me very well. I just couldn't justify spending nearly twice as much on the Powerbook. Add some extra RAM (at least 768 MB total) and you'll have a very powerful machine. My wife has the 15-inch powerbook (paid for by work), and to my mind it's really not much better at all.

edit: oh, yeah, printers -- I think you'll find most people around here prefer Canons for their cheaper ink. But HP makes good printers, too. Do a forum search for "printer" or "inkjet" and you'll find a lot of advice. There are also tons of Powerbook versus iBook threads.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think that if you're using it as a primary computer (as you stated) you would definitely benefit from gettin a PowerBook over an iBook... Especially because 1) the 14" iBook only has a 1024x768 resolution while the 15"PB has 1280x854 resolution, 2) the iBook only has 32MB VRAM so if you plan on using a spanning hack that amount would not suffice a smooth running of photoshop and the PB can be built w/ up to 128MB VRAM, 3) the PB can natively support an external monitor w/ spanning, and 4) the PB is much sexier than the iBook, sleeker, and it weighs in at 5.6 lbs while the 14" iBook is 5.9 pounds.

4. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Powerbook 15 in the way to go. Faster then the iBook more upgradable digital monitor out. Also the widescreen is nice. All in all I think you would be happier with the powerbook.

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

dont bother with the 14" ibook it has a low res screen, if 1024x768 is ok with you just get a 12" ibook, and if it's not get a 15" powerbook.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

That actually depends on your eyes. I have the 14-incher because the text on the 12-incher is too tiny for my 38-year-old eyes. Plus the 14-incher has the best battery life of all Apple laptops -- up to 6 hours.

7. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

I have a 14" iBook and love it, and it is more than cpapble to deal with your needs. I also reccomend the hack to run an external screen, as this is useful for when at home.

As for a printer, I've had great experiences with all-in-one HPs.

::20ROGERSC::

8. Tvag thread starter macrumors newbie

Tvag

I think you SOLD me and it's not just because of your choice of verbage (well maybe).

In your oppinons is the upgrade to the 1.67GHz over the 1.5GHz worth the investment if I don't intend on purchasing another laptop for a long time?

And what about the RAM? Should I go 1GB over 512MB or is that overkill?

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Get at least that much memory, or you're wasting your investment in the Powerbook. The memory is more important than the CPU.

I'd upgrade the memory first, then the HD (up to 100 GB), then the graphics card, and the CPU last (if you've got any money leftover)!

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Aww, shucks, I guess I really did inherit my father's 'selling' genes. :p
    If you can afford to get the best-- I would encourage you to do so (especially if you and your wife will be sharing aaaaaand she intends to use pro-apps like PS. I think that if I were in your position I would BTO (build to order) a 15"PB w/ the upgrade to 128MB of VRAM but not get superdrive (if you feel comfortable using an external drive).
    As for RAM, I say give 512MB a shot (most people scream the more the beter)... I say give it a shot because you never know, it might be okay for your uses. If you eventually find that you'd like a snappier response, feel free to then upgrade your RAM from cheaper vendors (than Apple) such as OWC, DataMem, Crucial, or Newegg-- just read the fine print and make sure the one you select will guarantee compatibility w/ your Mac (because Macs tend to be more finicky in their RAM).

11. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I'd get the fastest processor you can afford if you're going for the PowerBook
    and get the 128 MB VRAM upgrade.

Buy your extra RAM 3rd party. The stock 512MB will be fine to get you rolling.

If either of you might qualify for education discount that will also save you quite a bit.

I take it that you have your heart set on a portable???

In reality, you may want to also take a serious look at the 17" 2.0 GHz iMac G5.

The only other option is to go for the 12" PowerBook with an external display
    for home use.

12. Tvag thread starter macrumors newbie

Tvag

Ok... and if I were to get the 14" Ibook because I'm poor and pretending to be thrifty what do you say for processor power there? :confused:

Supid question, just realized you can't order an upgrade there with the Ibook. Sorry!! :eek:

13. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I have to agree with this. If you don't need the portable I would go with the iMac. Bigger screen, faster processor, bigger HD, 128 MB VRAM.

If that's out of the option then I would go for the 15 in. Powerbook as well.

14. Tvag thread starter macrumors newbie

Tvag

I hear what your saying but I think I have to go with the portable. We've never had one but are always on the go so I think this is where we sacrifice comfort for mobility.

I'm still on the fence so I'll let my wife make the final decision. She always does anyway. Why do you think I'm going MAC over IBM. J/k I'm done with that headache. :) Can't wait for my new toy!!

15. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I PMed you with a few choices.

The 14" iBook is a great little machine.
    Beings that you're poor and thrifty, I think you'll be fine going that route until you and your wife get aquainted with Mac OX S.

My neighbor is still running his 867 MHz TiBook, combo drive, with 256 MB stock RAM with no issues and is perfectly content working with occasional Photoshop Applications, email,chat surf etc. That machine cost him $2100 new. And it doesn't have Airport or Bluetooth.

So really the 14" iBook puts it to shame.

OSX Tiger does benefit from 512MB-1 GB RAM greatly.

Hardware will be changing so fast over the next 12-18 months,
    so as long as the system you buy today covers you for 3-4 years
    without overspending, you can't go wrong.

16. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Congrats - you are now smarter

Congrats on your decision to make the Switch. You have now become smarter as you won't have to waste all that brain power on thinking about how to keep your Windows based free of viruses and spyware :D

17. lfielder06 Guest

If you go with a portable, you will never go back. I agree with everyone. Get the 15" 1.67ghz 128vram combo drive. The SD is too much money for nothing more than a 2x drive. I got a SD and really regret it, it was a $189 upgrade. I usually use my internal because I can get 16x on that. I purchased a drive and external enclosure for around $100 on newegg.com.

BTW I just upgraded from a 12" to a 15" and it is amazing. I love the brightness compared to my older one and the more space is great.

18. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Printers

Well, I can't weigh in on the 'Book issues (as I'm still on an old G3 laptop), but I have a definite printer preference.

I've had two HP's at work. The ink's expensive. It allows itself to run dry so you have to replace the printheads on a regular basis. It regularly needs to be shut off and turned back on to work. HP drivers, when they're actually to be found on the web site, are monstrously huge. Mac support seems to be an afterthought.

My home Canon is quiet. The colors are bright and crisp. Print quality is beautiful. Ink is cheap. It actually communicates with your Mac to tell you when you need to change ink. It uses that communication to turn itself on and off when your Mac says it needs it. It just doesn't feel like you're hacking into your own printer the way the HP does. :)