Going On A Trip - Need Some Good Kid Apps

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by RogersDA, Mar 29, 2011.

1. RogersDA, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

macrumors 6502

So - what does everyone recommend for some apps for kids for the iPad? They don't have to be all games. I looked at the games, but don't want to waste a lot of money on cruddy ones.

She is 9 3/4 years old.

2. macrumors regular

How old are the kids? I have a collection of toddler age apps that keep the little guy entertained.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Age would help, wouldn't it. Updated my post to reflect. Thanks!

4. macrumors 6502a

Satori

There are lots of easy to use apps for making music (if this is something that is likely to appeal to your daughter) including magic piano and beatwave. Garageband is great too but I'm not sure how accessible it would be to a 9 year-old.

Art of glow is quite absorbing if she is arty and there are numerous other drawing programmes in the app store.

I don't know much about games as I don't play them too much, but I quite like cro-mag rally. I don't know if it's really aimed toward 9-yr-old girls but my 7 year old niece loves it.

5. macrumors 6502

my kid is a youtube junkie so no games here LOL
    But otherwise we used to play "eat this and not that" (sorry my kid get's geeky at times) he ask us what we would rate certain restaurants and then look them up. Now he is a walking APP for restaurant ratings (yeah he has a photographic memory as well) or he played bird sounds and we had to guess them. There is also an App where you collect Licens Plates (Plate Hunt) specially if you go through a few states this is a fun one ...........it depends on your kids and ages and on what they are "In too"

6. macrumors 6502

In my experience if you put a kid in front of iTunes and tell them to find some games they'd like they will find a bunch fast. Maybe you should just point her to the games section of iTunes and let her look around.

7. macrumors newbie

My 6.5 year old isn't that into traditional video games but two apps she loves are Pottery HD (my husband and I love it too) and Mythbuster's app. Discovery has some cool apps and Stack the States and Stack the countries are fun. Oh she also loves Sally Spa and all the food making apps but they get old after a while. Oh! There is a new frog dissection one that we like too, if she is interested in science.

8. macrumors 6502

offcamber

My 7.5 year old son is enjoying Rocket Math for iPad.

9. macrumors 6502

DoodleBuddy
    Free (?) drawing app where you can open a photo & colour it in

10. macrumors member