Going out of my head..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mac-Addict, Sep 18, 2006.

?

Which Mac Do YOU think i am?

1. Macbook Pro

22.4%
  2. iMac

49.0%
  3. Macbook

6.1%
  4. Mac Pro

14.3%
  5. Mac Mini

8.2%
  1. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Ughhh!!! I have will have £1600 to spend on a machine by christmas! But which Mac Am I!!!

- Macbook Pro
    I really dont need to move about with my mac but love the style of a Macbook Pro but also want more power.

- iMacs
    WOW 24" but ugly chin..

- mac pro
    I would love a Mac pro but its going to be my first mac and because i only have £1600 (for a mac pro thats a bit low price..) so I think it will feel empty with 2GHz, 1GB, 250GB

- Macbook
    Hate the keyboard and seems too slow

- Mac Mini
    Need I say more..

This is my first mac so do what would do you think?

2. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I guess if that is your absolute limit and you cannot get an education discount...then I would go for the 24" iMac and get it with the 7600GT and 2Gb for £1549.

With the Mac Pro, though, if you already have a good monitor then bear in mind that any of those specs can be upgraded later - get a new card, add more RAM, more HDs, replace the CPUs...

3. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Oh - Mac Pro with 2.66GHz, 1Gb, 7300GT, 250Gb is only £1699. If you can get the other £99 then it is definitely worth considering if you will later have the funds to upgrade the RAM/GPU...

4. JDN macrumors 6502a

Tough decision!! I have a MBP because i am studying in different countries this year and need something protable, yet with some punch to it.

If you dont need a laptop beacuse you arent going to be need to travel with or just take it places, i would have to say go with the Mac Pro. The iMac is gorgeous, but for the money, it isnt atall upgradeable. With the Mac Pro you can build on it, improve it when you get money.

So if you have the monitor, get the Pro.

5. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

MacBook Pro:
    If you don't need a portable, I wouldn't advise you on getting it.

iMac:
    I'd say you should get this one. You say it has an ugly chin, but you're absolutely gonna love it.

MacPro:
    If you get something, get it right. Unless you can soup it up, I wouldn't get it.

MacBook:
    You say it seems too slow. It's as fast as the MBP, except for the GPU. Have you tried the keyboard? It's "lovely":rolleyes: But if you don't need a laptop, neither this one.

MacMini:
    If not an iMac, I'd say you should get this one. Depending on what you're doing, but I'm sure it's not gonna be too slow.;)

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

iMac. That 'chin' is something you can learn to love. Amazing machines, if only more computers were built that way.

7. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Hmm yeah I mean your all most likely right about the chin but i think the iMacs aren't what I want/need So i think i will go with the Mac Pro or Macbook Pro

Edit: Thinking about it i will scrap the Macbook Pro Idea and the more I look at the iMac the more it grows on me..

Edit 2: I also need a Tv so Yeah I will go for the iMac! (24")

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

9. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

MBP for me too

10. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Ok thats it the 24" iMac has really grown on me and it seems santa (I mean my bank card) is bringing me a 24" iMac :)
    Specifications

2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512MB
    NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM
    250GB Serial ATA drive
    Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X
    24-inch TFT display
    8x double-layer SuperDrive (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT with 128MB GDDR3 memory
    AirPort Extreme
    Bluetooth 2.0

As i will be usuing it for gaming and tv I went for the NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM and if it barely does anything to make the graphics better i don't really care because £80 extra is around the price of a .mac account so.. :) and I might get an external hard drive if i want to record some tv shows.

11. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

if you don't need it to be portable then go with the iMac. the chin isn't too bad and it has that lovely apple right in the middle. you'll probably forget about it once you see that you have a 24" iMac in front of you!

12. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

I'd get an iMac 20 inch. Good all-round computer.

13. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

You're steering clear of the iMac because of it's chin? That's the most ridiculous reason for not buying a computer I've ever heard. :rolleyes:

14. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

i personally would get the 2GB RAM (2x1GB) over the 1GB, especially since it isn't 1x1GB. If it was you could just slap another stick in later, but with the 512s you have to replace them both.

15. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I'd say go with the iMac. You're fussing over a little chin? I'd say a little chin is better than having a tower and monitor seperate which is the case for PCs. From what you said, it seems like you just need a computer that can do just your average tasks. And the iMac will let you do just that, and sometimes more.

16. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Well I will be making websites, podcasts, movies.. but yeah I really have fallen for the iMac

17. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

18. generik macrumors 601

generik

One more vote for refurb MBP, and since you got till Christmas I am sure towards the holidays a lot of faulty MBPs will get returned back to the store (and up for grabs as a refurb). Not that I am expecting a lot of duds, but people do buy more towards Christmas, and even at 10% failure rate you are looking at a lot of refurbished MBPs.

19. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Wow, I can't believe someone considers 2 cores running at 2.0 ghz slow nowadays. I guess the days of the blazing fast 400 mhz processor are over. I'll stick it out my my bleeding edge 1 ghz g4 processor for a while. I vote macbook pro!

20. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No it's not. Visual first impressions of something dominate our perception. If one doesn't like the way something looks, they are much less likely to buy it (duh?).

IMO, I think the new iMacs are quite ugly. Why is there a large white plastic area below the screen? It makes it look unbalanced. Bring back the G4 Lamp design!

21. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good choice Mac-Addict, the 24 iMac seems like it will be a great computer for you- enjoy! :)

22. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I am slowly coming around to the iMacs and I think the chin is less noticable on the 24" since it is the same size as the others at least the proportion is less. However I would have ordered one in a heartbeat if the came in an anodized aluminum to look like the Cinema Displays or maybe even in black.

23. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

congrats! i bet you'll love it...!

24. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

You definitely made the right call. With its unbuffered RAM and noticeably better video card, your iMac will beat the current stock Mac Pros in gaming hands down. I am officially jealous :) .