Going overseas, what kind of power adapter for plane?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chosenwolf, Mar 9, 2006.

1. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

Hello,

I am leaving the country for a few weeks in June. Do you guys know what kind of power connection is needed to be able to plug my iBook into the planes outlet? I'm flying with Virgin Atlantic if it helps... Anyone know if they have wi-fi on board?

Also, is it recommended to use a 110 --> 220 volt converter to charge my iBook when I'm in Europe?

2. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

unfortunately i can't answer your question but i am travelling to Thailand in may for my honeymoon and was wondering the same thing... i'll need to buy the power converters...is it the same as europe in asia?

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

is their away that you can just buy the one you need. I'm going to China in May for 2 weeks and don't want to spend $40 just for one adaptor...

4. chosenwolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

The adapter you can purchase for $10 at Fry's or other electronic stores. The question is, is it safe to use a power converter with a notebook...?

5. musicalmcs8706 macrumors regular

Doesn't the Apple store have an adapter kit you can buy with lots of different countries that can be used?

6. dethbunny macrumors newbie

It really depends on the airline

It appears that Virgin uses "EmPower" connectors to provide in-flight electricity. Info for them and other airlines is available at SeatGuru. With that in mind, the Kensington travel adapter pack or their empower-only cable should have you covered; I'm sure there are other options, too.

I found that site amazingly useful when I was traveling cross-country in November; it could be even more useful for a cross-ocean flight.

7. dethbunny macrumors newbie

The Apple adapter kit

The Apple world travel kit only changes the physical connector on your adapter; the kit doesn't transform the electricity at all. That in mind, the adapter Apple gives you handles pretty much any standard household power out there; 50-60Hz, 110-240V. This does exclude DC situations though, like running off a cigarette lighter or most airplane power sockets.

8. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I would say either an iGo adapter or a Kensington adapter. At least Kensington mentions that they work with Empower ports. Depending on which one you buy, it may also work with wall outlets and have several tips for your electronics - so you'll only need to take one power adapter for all your stuff!

Me? I have a no-name I bought on an in-flight duty free some time ago.

EDIT: Something like this may work for you.

9. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Make sure your airline provides power outlets in the class your seat is in. I flew coach to Thailand on one airline and they didn't have power outlets on any of the seats. I was ticked because I bought a 12v power adapter just for that purpose.

But I wasn't going to pay twice the $$ for the ticket just so I could use my laptop.

10. chosenwolf thread starter macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

Thanks for all the input. The kensington adapter should do the trick. I'm going to try calling the airline tommorow to make sure they use the empower technology. I'll also ask them if they have wi-fi on board.