Going rate for G3 ibooks ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DangerDiabolik, May 26, 2005.

1. DangerDiabolik macrumors member

So Im looking to get a cheap ibook for when I travel/backup/Just good to have.

It wont be my primary computer, its just something to work ( photoshop mostly ) on when i go away.

I have a few questions.

1. Whats the going rate for a 12" 600mhz G3 combo drive with say 256 to 384 megs of ram, 20 Gig HD.

2. Whats/Wheres the cheapest place to get a used/refurbished 12" G4 ibook ?

2. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

The particular one you speak of may be sub $500 if you're lucky.

I just sold my 700 mhz G3 iBook, combo drive, 640 mb ram, airport, 20gb hdd, 12 inch screen on ebay for $541. And that's pretty much loaded.

So, I think you could do about $450.

BTW, I got mine from expercom.com ....they were fast, awesome. I would buy from them again. Check either there or techrestore.com for deals. They have tons of refurbished G3 iBooks in stock.

3. macorama macrumors regular

Why not check out eBay for a while before you buy and get an idea of how much they're going for?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ditto this -- go to eBay and search for iBook G3s. Then, when you get the search results, you can click on the "completed auctions" button to re-search showing auctions that *ended.* The prices in green were successful sales. They should give you a really good idea.

There are a few G3 iBooks here, now and again, and a lot of G4s.

I'm personally hanging on to my G4 until the processor doubles in speed. (I have a 12" 800MHz, so if a 12" 1.6GHz comes out, then maybe.... which actually, isn't completely insane, since the 15 and 17" PBs have one that fast available now. Lalala, that's all irrelevant).

Smalldog.com also sells refurbs, and there're deals listed on dealmac.com every once in a while.

Good luck! :)

5. DangerDiabolik thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info :)

I've been cruising Craigslist and found that most G3 sellers are looking for 550 or there around which seems about 100 bucks too much.

BTW if anyone has a 12 inch G3 laptop and wants to sell by all means let me know.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I dont know, $500-550 seems to be what the going rate would be (although I agree with you that $550 seems a little to high). Hard to justify someone selling one for over 500 when you can get a brand-new iBook for under $1000.

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Check out the local college since some students put theirs up for sale before and after they graduate. My friend got a great deal on his iBook (he just switched) $300 for a G3 700 256 ram AP and it came with Panther. Good luck on your search :)

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There's at least one here on MR in the past couple of days. Link to the thread.

9. utah_boy2 macrumors regular

I was just about to add that mine is for sell, But mkrishnan beat me to it, Thanks. Good to know member are always helping each other out.

Let me know what you think, its a great machine but I need to get down to just one Laptop - I just need money more then I neen a 2nd iBook around.

-Jordan

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Looks like a good deal. For the asking price does not seem like you could go wrong.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan