Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
It's coming, I swear!

Still debating on whether to outright buy the Tokina 11-16mm or just rent it for my trip. Also, what SD cards would you recommend? Is it better to go with one or two and what size? The only other thing I can think of getting is a rain sleeve and a camera bag, but I might wait and pick one up through Incase. Are there any other accessories I should add? Oh and I have a $250 Amazon gift card that will be applied to this order!

IMO, an 11-16mm leaves too much sky in most images, and is too wide for me (I've got a Sigma 10-20mm.) These days, 35mm is about as wide as I go (~50mm on your body for the FoV.) Unless you're shooting very dynamic moving-subject landscapes, a copy of AutoPano Pro is a much, much better deal IMO. I shoot a lot of hand-held and tripod based 5-20 image panoramas and crop appropriately after feeding the files through APP.

Paul

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It's coming, I swear!

Still debating on whether to outright buy the Tokina 11-16mm or just rent it for my trip. Also, what SD cards would you recommend? Is it better to go with one or two and what size? The only other thing I can think of getting is a rain sleeve and a camera bag, but I might wait and pick one up through Incase. Are there any other accessories I should add? Oh and I have a $250 Amazon gift card that will be applied to this order!

At last! Is the lens hood the right one though? Says a different lens.

I'd go for a Sandisk ultra series 32gb. You'd need at least two and something to upload them to on your trip.

Might also want to look at UV filter (more for protecting your glass) and maybe a polariser filter.

Rent the lens and then decide after you have used it.

Oh and a remote trigger.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
If you haven't ordered quite yet, you might consider going with B&H or Adorama, because they tend to bundle their cameras with a couple of basic accessories for the same price as Amazon. My 70D bundle from B&H came with a decent (but not great) bag, a memory card, and an extra battery for the same price as Amazon without the bundled stuff. Use your $250 Amazon card on a lens or other accessories. :)

For the tripod, you might consider the Joby GorillaPod. I have one of the smaller models for my point and shoot, and I'm planning to get the biggest one for my 70D. Very versatile when you're out and about, and smaller than a regular tripod. Of course it doesn't replace the regular tripod, so you'll want to decide if you want both.

Regarding memory cards, I like to use multiple smaller cards. I'll usually get several of whatever is cheapest per GB and swap them in and out of the camera. That way if a single card goes bad, I don't lose everything. Personally, I've had good luck with Transcend cards, which tend to be much cheaper than bigger name brands (Sandisk, Sony, etc). Other people prefer the bigger names.

You also want to make sure you get fast enough cards that won't be a bottleneck for your camera (mostly for bursts of shots). I'm not sure about the D5300's write speeds, but for mine I got the 600x Transcend cards that are red. Good prices at Amazon.

Finally, I'm paranoid about losing images before I get home to load them into the computer, so I got something that would let me backup cards on the go. Lots of choices for this, but I went with a Kingston MobileLite which will let me copy cards either to mobile hard drives or other cards (using a USB card reader I already have). It's not a great price right now on Amazon ($38, I saw it as low as $25 recently).

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
At last! Is the lens hood the right one though? Says a different lens.

I'd go for a Sandisk ultra series 32gb. You'd need at least two and something to upload them to on your trip.

Might also want to look at UV filter (more for protecting your glass) and maybe a polariser filter.

Rent the lens and then decide after you have used it.

Oh and a remote trigger.

Yep, HB-32 fits the 18-140mm lens as well.

Two cards are probably safer in the rare event that anything is lost or corrupted.

And because the D5300 has WiFi, I won't need the remote! :cool:

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Do you guys think this case is worth it?

http://goincase.com/shop/incase-dslr-pro-pack#view/0

I'm trying to think how I'm going to transport everything through the airport and while traveling. In the past, I've always carried a backpack with my macbook inside and in an incase sling sleeve. Now I'll have to think about a separate bag for my camera, as I would not just put it inside a backpack by itself. So that would be two bags inside a backpack. It may just make more sense to get one backpack that can specifically fit and protect all my devices. I really like incase bags but they are expensive.

Also, I was considering NOT taking my macbook air with me this time, as I don't like the idea of having all that technology while traveling. Plus, one time when I forgot to take my macbook out of its case, the lady at airport security literally threw it into one of those plastic bins and scratched it up. Still, it may be better to take for transferring images from my camera. I recently ordered the incase duffle for 25% off via their fourth of july sale, but I think a duffle bag would be a bit bigger and harder to store while flying. I don't like using the overhead bins either. I keep my bag with me and usually place it under the seat.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

I'm trying to think how I'm going to transport everything through the airport and while traveling. In the past, I've always carried a backpack with my macbook inside and in an incase sling sleeve. Now I'll have to think about a separate bag for my camera, as I would not just put it inside a backpack by itself. So that would be two bags inside a backpack. It may just make more sense to get one backpack that can specifically fit and protect all my devices. I really like incase bags but they are expensive.

Also, I was considering NOT taking my macbook air with me this time, as I don't like the idea of having all that technology while traveling. Plus, one time when I forgot to take my macbook out of its case, the lady at airport security literally threw it into one of those plastic bins and scratched it up. Still, it may be better to take for transferring images from my camera. I recently ordered the incase duffle for 25% off via their fourth of july sale, but I would think a duffle bag would be a bit bigger and harder to store while flying. I don't like using the overhead bins either. I keep my bag with me and usually place it under the seat.
Looks nice. I went with a lowpro flip side 400 which worked great until I bought even more glass.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Haha, definitely the 18-140mm kit lens and then probably the sigma 10-20mm or tokina 11-16mm.

1, the 18-140 is GREAT and it does the sensor justice (unlike most other kit lens, except for those of Fuji). I highly recommend it over the 18-55 VR II.

2, Instead of the Sigma 10-20, you really should consider the Sigma 8-16. The additional 3 (equiv) mm at the wide end is a LOT. I plan to purchase it too (for my Fuji X-E1.)

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
DONE AND ORDERED. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

Sorry if I drove anyone a little crazy, I definitely stressed myself out somewhat going through this process. Usually I would have more time in making a decision like this, but friends, along with myself, booked this trip just four weeks in advance of leaving. Being as this is my first DSLR, it was an important decision. But I finally chose the Nikon D5300!

I ordered a Joby Sling Strap, an Amazon Basics tripod, a lens hood, and two 32 GB cards at 95MB/s. I am now looking at cameras bags. Anyway, can’t wait for everything to arrive!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I ordered a Joby Sling Strap, an Amazon Basics tripod, a lens hood, and two 32 GB cards at 95MB/s. I am now looking at cameras bags. Anyway, can’t wait for everything to arrive!

What lenses did you get?

If you are looking for a "bag", for long trips like this I always pack my gear in a Pelican case. These cases really take abuse. My gear has been loaded into open trucks with tools and scuba tank on top, fished out of a river and gone through automatic baggage handing and so on. I use bare cases with no foam and put a soft bag inside and maybe use some of those Domke "wraps".

Even if you are transporting this gear yourself in your own car it's still a PITA to have to always keep the cars bags on top. Put them in cases and they can't be crashed.

When you get the gear, do at least a couple self-assignments every week. Four weeks is a short period to learn.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006

I'm trying to think how I'm going to transport everything through the airport and while traveling. In the past, I've always carried a backpack with my macbook inside and in an incase sling sleeve.

You are really going to cary that huge backpack around with you? Just get a roller case. So many people THINK that can hand cary a camera and a notebook computer and then have to "gate check" it when either the person at the gate spots that it is over sazied or there is just no space. Yes it happens a lot. And then you get off the plane onto a bus and find the rule a nothing is allowed in the passenger section. (Yes this happens too) and anything larger than a handbag will have to go below. Another place I was at ALL the luggage was required to go in the old pickup truck

You think you have it all planned out but you just can't guess the rules that might apply on a bus in (say) Thailand or wherever. The roller hard cases work well because they are bomb proof

I use a normal backpack too. If I'm outdoors walking around. I put a camera with one lens attached and usually just one extra lens and small stuff in the backpack.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Don't forget about UV or Circular Polarizers.

I bought and use some SD card & filter/lens wallets (separate items)

I like Bryan Peterson's books...the second one is one I liked reading: Amazon link

Not sure about the tripod and Joby Sling but I needed to buy the Joby Universal Mount for attaching to a tripod...http://joby.com/camera-straps/ultraplate-quick-release-plate/

Not sure how long you will be out on the road/trail, but the lat large vacation (Disney) I took, I decided to try a second battery. I opted for a Wasabi brand as it was half the price of a Nikon, and i figure this was a cheap alternative and it wasn't my first battery to use but something to have "in case". I have used it and it was decent and kept the image count and battery power usage. (some 3rd party batteries won't)

I agree, before you go, pack your bag and go for a hike and shoot some.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
What lenses did you get?

If you are looking for a "bag", for long trips like this I always pack my gear in a Pelican case. These cases really take abuse. My gear has been loaded into open trucks with tools and scuba tank on top, fished out of a river and gone through automatic baggage handing and so on. I use bare cases with no foam and put a soft bag inside and maybe use some of those Domke "wraps".

Even if you are transporting this gear yourself in your own car it's still a PITA to have to always keep the cars bags on top. Put them in cases and they can't be crashed.

When you get the gear, do at least a couple self-assignments every week. Four weeks is a short period to learn.

No lenses yet other than the 18-140mm kit. I may just rent the Tokina 11-16mm. Thinking of picking up a 35mm 1.8 f/g too. And unfortunately it's way less than four weeks now. By the time the camera comes, I'll be lucky if I have one week! Still, better than nothing.

----------

You are really going to cary that huge backpack around with you? Just get a roller case. So many people THINK that can hand cary a camera and a notebook computer and then have to "gate check" it when either the person at the gate spots that it is over sazied or there is just no space. Yes it happens a lot. And then you get off the plane onto a bus and find the rule a nothing is allowed in the passenger section. (Yes this happens too) and anything larger than a handbag will have to go below. Another place I was at ALL the luggage was required to go in the old pickup truck

You think you have it all planned out but you just can't guess the rules that might apply on a bus in (say) Thailand or wherever. The roller hard cases work well because they are bomb proof

I use a normal backpack too. If I'm outdoors walking around. I put a camera with one lens attached and usually just one extra lens and small stuff in the backpack.

I really don't think that Incase bag seems all that big. Plus they show other photographers using it while hiking. But maybe you're right, maybe just a normal backpack is the way to go. Either way I'm quickly discovering that photography is an expensive undertaking.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Don't forget about UV or Circular Polarizers.

I bought and use some SD card & filter/lens wallets (separate items)

I like Bryan Peterson's books...the second one is one I liked reading: Amazon link

Not sure about the tripod and Joby Sling but I needed to buy the Joby Universal Mount for attaching to a tripod...http://joby.com/camera-straps/ultraplate-quick-release-plate/

Not sure how long you will be out on the road/trail, but the lat large vacation (Disney) I took, I decided to try a second battery. I opted for a Wasabi brand as it was half the price of a Nikon, and i figure this was a cheap alternative and it wasn't my first battery to use but something to have "in case". I have used it and it was decent and kept the image count and battery power usage. (some 3rd party batteries won't)

I agree, before you go, pack your bag and go for a hike and shoot some.

I thought about getting a UV or polarized filter, but I read that lens hoods can also work well in preventing bursting and flaring. Toby from CameraRec (on YouTube) expressed similar opinions too.

Hopefully my camera fits the tripod I ordered. I will try to remember to double check tomorrow.

Random question but when you were in Disney, did you visit Universal Studios, and particularly the new Harry Potter park they have? I've long grown out of those books but that place just looks awesome. A user on the D7100 Flickr group had an entire album of that place, which is why I thought of it.

And yes, I really hope I have some time to set aside for performing a test run so-to-speak.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
A UV filter also acts as an extra protection for the front element of your glass. So is you scrap it against something the filter gets scratched and the lens stays safe.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I thought about getting a UV or polarized filter, but I read that lens hoods can also work well in preventing bursting and flaring. Toby from CameraRec (on YouTube) expressed similar opinions too.

Random question but when you were in Disney, did you visit Universal Studios, and particularly the new Harry Potter park they have?

In reverse order...I went to the Disney version of Hollywood Studios (maybe that's what it is called) I think Universal Studios is another park NOT under Disney...we stayed within the Disney confines. And never read or saw the HP movies so might not be as wowed as you.

As for the UV/Circ Polarizer...The UV could act as a shield...though some say that will just be one more glass the lens has to get through and might make things less sharp.

BUT, a CP filter is not something a Hood can help with. darkens the sky, cuts the haze and clears waters/reflections. If you have polarized sunglasses, you can see how the affect is with and without. the clouds in the sky will "pop" and you control the water reflections...whether you want a nice mirror look to showcase an awesome Mt. View, or cut the reflection to see into the water (maybe fish are swimming in it)

You could always pick those up locally.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
The best lens protection is the hood, but a UV filter is not a bad idea when shooting anywhere near the surf or any other place where fluids can splash on the lens. Otherwise it is a waste of money, and sometimes it can increase the likelihood of flare and ghosting.

But a good quality CPL, specially for landscape shots where there is water and lots of reflections, is a good thing to have.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Ok I'm probably going to pick up a good CP filter before I leave. Any recommendations in particular? Ideally I would like one that fits with the HB-32 lens hood. What do you guys think of the Nikon ME-1 microphone?

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Some lens rental companies include a UV filter with the rental. Borrowlenses did for me.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Looks like you have a good start.

When I did extensive traveling, I too used a "hard case" for my equipment plus a more typical case for travel once at my destination(s). Pelican is a great option. There are lots of makers of travel oriented cases and you can see examples offered by ThinkTank. I am not suggesting their offerings but nice to see what is what and hope it inspires. Kata also has some interesting padded cases etc.

As for UV and CP - I'll just give an opinion here. I put very high end "clear" filters on my lenses. Care should be taken on very wide lenses as there could be some vignetting. As for CP, similar can be said plus on super wides, you might experience uneven skies and the like depending on location of the sun with respect to position of the lens. I happen to use B+W filters. There are other good makers of filters but B+W is a steady fall back for lots of pros as they have a long record of quality glass.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Ok I'm probably going to pick up a good CP filter before I leave. Any recommendations in particular? Ideally I would like one that fits with the HB-32 lens hood. What do you guys think of the Nikon ME-1 microphone?

Depends on how much video you intend to do. Another alternative is just add music to your video afterwards so you don't have to worry about audio. I think unless you spend quite a bit the audio is always the sorest part of any video. Especially when shot outside (wind noise etc).

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Welp, here it is, all set up. I've spent the past day or so experimenting with everything. Definitely want to watch some more tutorial videos on YouTube and the like, but overall I'm happy. The tripod is just something basic from Amazon, and yes, I'm using my water bottle as a crude weight to help balance the camera.

photo.jpg

One I don't like about the 18-140mm kit lens, though I know this is easily correctable in post processing, and something characteristic of most zoom lenses, is the vignetting effect at the extreme ranges. It's just something to pay attention to when shooting I suppose. Anyway, I wish I could get both the Tokina 11-16mm for landscapes and the Nikon 55-300mm for wildlife, and I guess I could, but I don't want to spend that much. Landscapes and scenery are probably more important to me so I may end up choosing the Tokina. I thought about renting these lenses, but I would need them for a minimum of 12 days and then would still need to rush to mail them back as soon as I got home, and I would be spending over $100 that I could have otherwise put towards purchasing at least one of them.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Welp, here it is, all set up. I've spent the past day or so experimenting with everything. Definitely want to watch some more tutorial videos on YouTube and the like, but overall I'm happy. The tripod is just something basic from Amazon, and yes, I'm using my water bottle as a crude weight to help balance the camera.

One I don't like about the 18-140mm kit lens, though I know this is easily correctable in post processing, and something characteristic of most zoom lenses, is the vignetting effect at the extreme ranges. It's just something to pay attention to when shooting I suppose. Anyway, I wish I could get both the Tokina 11-16mm for landscapes and the Nikon 55-300mm for wildlife, and I guess I could, but I don't want to spend that much. Landscapes and scenery are probably more important to me so I may end up choosing the Tokina. I thought about renting these lenses, but I would need them for a minimum of 12 days and then would still need to rush to mail them back as soon as I got home, and I would be spending over $100 that I could have otherwise put towards purchasing at least one of them.

Reduce the rental cost by having the lens shipped to some place in Alaska and return it BEFORE you leave Alaska. There is no need to pay rental fees for days the lens packed as luggage. Drop the lens at any post office when you are done with it.

Also what you are reading here is that many people have gone to making composites when doing ultra wide shots. It they overlap by 50% you have more than enough to make a seamless composite shot. What kills this idea is if anything moves, clouds, people, tree leaves,.... So you will be able to capture those wide panoramic shots even with the kit 18mm lens.

The best travel shots are of "people doing things, other then looking at your camera" and a 50mm f/1.8 is perfect and costs only $200 new Lacking that the 18-xx is find. So you may not need the rental. just buy the f/1.8 if you want a second lens. Shots of people on bright sunny days never look good so practice using fill-in flash and how much of it you need.

Practice your work flow now, before you leave, decide to shoot raw of jpg now. Bring a few more memory cards if shooting raw.

You have a good video camera but the few weeks you have is not enough time to learn film making. If you had more time I'd say to shoot a few simple films before leaving.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
... Either way I'm quickly discovering that photography is an expensive undertaking.

It does not have to be expensive. I bought my high school age daughter a used Canon SLR for $175. No offense meant but I seriously doubt anyone would detect a difference in image quality between her used Canon and your newer Nikon. The weak link with IQ is the output device, monitors and printers, not the SLR body.

When I was in high school I could afford SLR photography funding it with part time work at the local fast food place for $2.35 per hour.

The reason we think it is expensive is because we tend to spend as much as we have, whatever that might be. We could spend 1/4 that and do just as well.

BTW if you need one more lens buy anything that is f/1.8. As I type this it is dusk and I have to load my daughter my Nikon because she needs one of my f/1.4 lenses in the low light and does not want flash or high ISO noise. Again if budget is an issue both the 35 and 50 at about $95 used.

One more thing about packing: Domke Wraps protect a lens that is otherwise loose in a backpack from scratches and dirt and when not in use take up nearly zero space. Before I used these I always had the problem of what to do with the empty case.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Got there in the end then!

Look at the Nikon 70-300 mm over the 55-300 mm lens though. Much less distortion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.