going to any gigs soon?

Discussion in 'Community' started by mrjamin, Oct 14, 2003.

1. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Yo,

I just bought yet another set of tickets for gigs in november; so far am going to see (in order)

Billy Talent (3rd Nov)
    The Mars Volta (23rd Nov)
    Radiohead (25th Nov)
    Muse (26th Nov)

...and then hopefully leaving for prague on friday morning (27th)!

Manic week. Anybody got anything nice planned for November?

MrJ

2. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

None for November (unless something happens to pop up that I haven't heard about) and probably none till December.

BUT, I just saw Rasputina on Sunday (Oct. 12th) at the Metro in Chicago.

FANTASTIC FRICKIN SHOW!!!!!

I've been a huge fan of theirs since their first album "Thanks For The Ether" came out (in 96? I think), but this is only the second time I've got to see them.

For those of you who don't know who/what Rasputina is, I'll explain. :)

Rasputina is a "cello rock" band consisting of Melora on main vocals and cello, Zoe on vocals and cello and Johnathan on drums. WONDERFUL music. Quite a few songs are played with the cellos plugged into distortion pedals. And Melora has a WONDERFUL voice. God I love them.

Their site hasn't been updated fully for a while, since they've been on tour and recording a new album, but I'd assume a major refresh will come about in January when their new album "Frustration Plantation" is released.

Go to their site NOW :)

Rasputina

The first opening band was terrible. Couldn't stand them at all. They were called "Fashion Bomb." Just seemed like a really bad mix/mashing of some late 80's goth rock mixed with Slipknot or something. Terrible, I thought.

The second opening band was Bizarbies. Great band. Had a sort of Devo feel to them.

Check em out.

Bizarbies

You can find 3 of Rasputina's albums on the iTunes Music Store and one of their remix albums on there as well. Don't ask me why they're listed under Electronic, though.

Sorry to ramble and stuff, but holy cow that was a great show. Such a great band. If you get the chance, SEE THEM LIVE!! It's worth it. I took a friend that had never even heard them before and he was totally blown away by them.

k, I'll shut up now. :)

enoch

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Re: going to any gigs soon?

Is that Muse gig in London? If so then I'll be there too as I am going to see them in London in November, but not sure of the date!

4. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Re: Re: going to any gigs soon?

'tis indeed

5. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Re: going to any gigs soon?

Mother!

I just saw Radiohead here in the states Ocotber 2nd.....it changed my life. I wish I could see Mars Volta and Muse as well!!!

AHhh! Lucky man!!! Enjoy!

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't know if you could call it a gig or not? My next gig is to attend the Panther release party at the Chestnut Hill Mall on Friday the 24th at 8pm! :)

7. neut macrumors 68000

neut

311 this Friday

Deftones in Dec. (redo)

maybe Bowie in Vegas...we shall see.

8. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

oh man - i'd love to see the 'tones again - seen them a couple of times - best was this year in wembley. Probably one of my all time favourite bands!

9. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Let's see.... just saw Aerosmith/Kiss two weeks ago,m The Dandy Warhols a month before that (Amazing!), but probably won't be going to any until.......

DAVID BOWIE!!!!

January 19th
    Fillmore Auditorium
    Denver, Colorado

I have just one word for that.......

THRUSTY!!!

10. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

I really want to see The Mars Volta in concert. Unfortunately they don't have any LA gigs scheduled right now, so I'll have to catch them on their next tour. Make sure to let us know how all the conecerts are.

Also, can't wait for the Phish tour this summer...

11. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....I saw Heather Nova about 2 weeks ago in Zurich....very good show......next up is probably Killing Joke in Vancouver. I'd love to see Rasputina - they're in Seattle this coming weekend - but unfortunately prior commitments prevent me from making the trip.....oh yeah!

12. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Re: going to any gigs soon?

Radiohead have a habit of doing that.... ;) when I first saw them in 92?? 93?? I can't remember which.... they totally rocked.... although they're a very different band now.... although at the time (Pablo Honey era) it never seemed like they were destined for greatness... you certainly wouldn't have bet money on it that's for sure.

I'm miffed that I've only just found out that R.E.M. are playing a gig in London this week to a couple of hundred people... had I have known, I would've been on the phone pronto to my friend at WEA for a ticket..... :(

13. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Re: Re: Re: going to any gigs soon?

no way! arg!! they *are* my all time favourite band!! Saw them earlier this year in london and it was fantastic.

14. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Re: Re: Re: going to any gigs soon?

that's almost what I said... although I used far more expletives! :eek: :p :p

http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?b=multimedia&id=13730

my fav band of all time too.... I was so miffed, I've got a friend at WEA Records who could've got me tickets to see them as well.... :(

Oh well, hopefully they'll be touring next year.... :D

15. afonso macrumors member

concerts i'm going to see till new year's:

- tindersticks
    - mariza
    - radiohead
    - bob bylan
    - gotan project
    - ben harper
    - john cale

all in london... of course :)

16. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Hehehe, I will see David Bowie on October 26th... in Stuttgart, Germany. :)
    Special Guests: The Dandy Warhols.

17. iGav macrumors G3

I'd love to see the Dandy Warhols live.... apparently they go all trippy when they support Bowie... like playing 16 minute songs and avoidng the hits..... kinda like the song 'It's A Fast Driving Rave Up With The Dandy Warhols Sixteen Minutes' Finale' :p

18. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: going to any gigs soon?

well, if you're friend is able to get 2 tickets and you have a spare......

got any good bootlegs? wanna trade? will bring some up at the next london geekfest

19. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Living in Austin, Texas, Live Music Capitol of the World, there is always a great show to go to EVERY night. But I'm not going to any of them any time soon, because live music isnt really my thing.

scem0

20. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: going to any gigs soon?

if I could have got tickets you would've been on... I don't know any R.E.M. fans at all.... :( I'd literally have to blackmail some of them for them to even consider going to see them.

I don't really have any bootlegs of R.E.M., if you've moochy'd on down to www.murmurs.com though, they've got a server full of the stuff, live and fanclub singles etc etc... basically any material that wasn't put out by the record label!

I can't wait to here the proper version of 'Animal', I've got a live version that's been rocking my Soundsticks for the last month or so.... :D

21. afonso macrumors member

the rem gig i went to at brixton academy a few months ago had to be the best gig of my life....

incredible stuff! more than 100F inside the venue, people totally squashed, omg... loved every second of it!

22. iGav macrumors G3

The last time I saw the was in 99... at Earls Court and then 3 days later at Glastonbury.... they were amazing both nights, but the Earl's Court has zero atmosphere.... however, Glastonbury was theirs! ;)

Work commitments stopped me seeing the gig's this year, but as I understand it... they should be touring in support of the new album next year....

P.S. I'd love to hear 'Leave' live.... :D

23. JupiterZen macrumors regular

David Bowie is doing some concerts here in Europe at the moment ...

3 friends of mine and myself have tickets for the one in Hannover on november 1 ...

I can't wait.

;) :cool:

24. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

ditto - my favourite of theirs (new adventures is my fave album). Apparently, they've never done it live! I've got a live version of ebow the letter with thom yorke doing the "i'll take you over...." bits - its pretty good - from the tibetan freedom concerts i believe.

The earls court gig wasn't great. I still loved it but the venue's just too damn huuuge. Thats where the radiohead gig i'm going to is. Hopefully won't be as bad as i'm standing this time (was up until 4am getting about 20 tickets for that!).

This year's gigs (brixton? i can't remember - been to too many gigs!) were mind blowing - so many oldies!! "carnival of sorts" was incredible.

i'm keeping you to the tickets offer :p

25. neut macrumors 68000

neut

i saw them during the tour of their first album. it was a very small club in Boise called Bogies. very intimate show. Chino did some surfin' and let some people sing/scream with him. pretty cool place for small shows. i rocked a few gigs their myself. ;)

too bad the management sucks...