going to be selling a G4 DP1ghz, wondering about price point

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by scramble565, Mar 24, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 24, 2007
    I'm gearing up to sell my trusty ol' G4 tower, and was wondering what you guys thought as to price points. Looking around on craigslist and ebay i've got a hazy idea of what to go for, but have yet to see anything truly comparable. Older stuff seems to be going for a fair bit, and newer stuff tends not to have aftermarket upgrades like additional HDDs, better graphics cards, other PCI doodads.

the system is as follows:
    quicksilver G4 dual 1ghz
    superdrive, internal zip 250
    80gb and 160gb internal hard drives
    ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128mb
    USB 2.0 5-port PCI card (4 outside, one inside)
    1.5gb RAM (maxed-out)

I also run dual monitors with two CRTs that i'd basically throw in for free (19" was attacked by a cat, 15" is just not worth much). It was used as a 3D/video editing workstation.

Any thoughts?
  2. macrumors 68030

Apr 16, 2005
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois

I don't know, with these Intel chips, the pricing of PPC Macs are all messed up.
  3. macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2007
    America's Third World
    You could try using the G4 value guide to get an idea of the value for most Apple G4 towers; prices supposedly based on actual ebay selling prices....
  4. macrumors 6502a

Mar 12, 2005
    Hermitage, TN USA (near Nashville)
    Your machine is worth what someone is willing to pay you. On ebay I have seen strange things. I've recently seen G5 dual 1.8 towers going for $700-$800 (sometimes), while some G5 dual 2.5 or 2.7s are still fetching $2500 (but I can't imagine why if you get an Intel for the same price). The prices for G4 machines are dropping rapidly. My G4/533 single processor cost me $232 on ebay less than two years ago, while today I've seen G4 dual 800s get no bids with a starting price of $299.

Therefore, I think your machine is probably worth between $300-$400, but you could very easily get more for it if the right people are bidding. I'd just sell it on ebay and be done with it. I also HIGHLY recommend you set the start price at $1 and do not use a reserve. TRUST ME, it works. You will get a higher end price than if you set a high starting bid and a fairly high reserve. Both things drive away bidders. I've sold enough to know.

The G4 value site linked above gives me a value of $580 for your machine. But if I had $580 and was shopping for a Mac and knew I couldn't stretch the budget much more, then I'd get a G5 dual 1.8 for a little more money as it is a much faster machine. Wouldn't you? That said, I have no doubt that you could possibly get close to this amount on ebay.
  5. macrumors demi-god

Jun 10, 2006
    Here's a tip: sell it before new Mac Pros come out because if you wait too long, it gets older and older (compared to what's available) so I would sell it as quick as you can. I guess that goes for all technology.
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 24, 2007
    yeah, selling it quickly certainly seems to be a good idea. whatever it goes for will be going towards a new MBP, and i am most certainly looking forward to that.

roughly $500 seems like a good price; maybe i'll start it a little higher, see what happens. i plan to list it locally this coming week, and if i find hard luck there i'll go for ebay and the like.

thanks, all!
  7. macrumors newbie

Mar 13, 2006
    i would list it for like $750 OBO i got 775 for a DP 1.25 MDD with 1 gig ram/80 gig HD/ ati 9000/ combo drive 2 weeks ago