going to Boston in 2 weeks...will "big dig" traffic be a factor?

Discussion in 'Community' started by continuum, Oct 1, 2004.

1. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

I'm heading to Boston in 2 weeks. Last time I was there, depending on events/time of day, the "big dig" was a major player in traffic congestion. I sat in a standstill for over 2 hours. I've heard some news about completion of segments. Can anyone tell me what they know? Any Beantown folks out there? By the way, I love Boston!

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Depends on where you're going. I recommend you get one of those Visitor T passes, and just parking somewhere (cheap if you're driving in, hotel if you're staying). Maybe I can take a trip up there when you go, I've got a Commuter Rail ticket that need using (I love it when the conductors don't come all the way through my car :D)

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree that traffic flow is greatly improved, but it depends on where you are going. Still most places in Boston are much easier to travel by the MBTA. Parking is expensive. If you have time we could meet for coffee.

4. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

I'll be in Quincy the first/second night and then Berverly the second/third night depending on how things go. I have some friends that live up there. We will be heading into the city for the evenings. Long Wharf and Fannuel Hall (sp?) areas. It's been several years since I've been there. I'd love to meet some of you but I don't know if time will permit. It's going to be major sightseeing since my girlfriend has never been to the east coast. Don't really know where we'll be and when we'll be there. Spontaneity is big for us. Thanks for the invites though.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Driving in Boston in the evening won't be much of a problem.

My schedule is pretty flexible. If you know a day ahead then it might work out for us to meet. Please contact me either here, PM, or E.Mail.

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Well traffic in Boston is an issue regardless of the Dig, which has seen some big completions in the last half year. You can get through the city on 93 fairly easy now any time but rush hours. From Quincy, you might as well hop on the Red Line unless you are in a big hurry. I actually park overnight at the North Quincy stop a lot without problems.

7. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

thanks everyone...and if i can get a schedule worked out i'll be sure to try and set some time aside for a quick meeting.