Going to buy an iMac, should I wait for August?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by seenew, May 21, 2006.

  1. seenew macrumors 68000

    seenew

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2005
    Location:
    Brooklyn
    #1
    I really want to go ahead and buy it now, but I'm worried that as soon as I buy it in June or July, it will be upgraded by August or September. Should I wait? Will the Core2's be in by then?
     
  2. zap2 macrumors 604

    zap2

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Location:
    Washington D.C
    #2
    What computer do you have now? There were reports or rumors that intel was speeding up the release of the Core 2, to show up AMD, and they could be out as soon as July(if Apple uses Cornoe , Augest if they use Merom)

    I would wait if you have a decent computer because you would only be waiting 4 months tops, and if you buy in July then you might only be waiting about 1 month from today. Tell use what you have now and we can give you a better of idea what to do


    MR link http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/04/20060428112857.shtml
     
  3. ero87 macrumors 65816

    ero87

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2006
    Location:
    New York City
    #3
    in my opinion, you could wait forever cuz it'll always be updated. Just get the current core duo iMac with at least 1 gig of RAM. you'll be extremely satisfied.
     
  4. Danksi macrumors 68000

    Danksi

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2005
    Location:
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    #4
    What are you going to be using it for?
     
  5. combatcolin macrumors 68020

    combatcolin

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2004
    Location:
    Northants, UK
    #5
    If you can wait then do so, its a whole new ball game with Intel.

    Same your pennies till later if you can.
     
  6. nukiduz macrumors 6502

    nukiduz

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2006
    #6
    i'm in the same situation as you, seenew. i won't have the money for an imac until july and i don't know if i should wait more. i think i will wait until august and if there's no new imac i'm taking the core duo. it really does what i need but i'd like to have a 64bit processor because of no one knows if it could be essential in a near future.
     
  7. seenew thread starter macrumors 68000

    seenew

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2005
    Location:
    Brooklyn
    #7
    Honestly, I can keep using this comp as long as I have to, since I just got out for summer, and I won't be doing a whole lot besides using the internet and editing photos, but check out these stats, haha:

    800Mhz G4 eMac, 512MB RAM, GeForce2

    So yeah, that's why I am so eager. But if you say it could be updated that soon, I'll definitely wait. It's not in me to be patient, but I'm gonna be stuck with this new machine through the next four years of college (at least), so I want it to be good.
    As for what I'll be doing with it, editing high-res photos, maybe some video, and Flash websites. I'm going to the Savannah College of Art and Design in September (graduated high school yesterday!), so I CAN wait, I just don't WANT to. But I guess no one ever does want to. Hah.
     
  8. zap2 macrumors 604

    zap2

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Location:
    Washington D.C
    #8
    I think you should wait, your eMac is not the speedest Mac, but you seem to hold onto your Macs for a while(seeing how your still using a 800Mhz eMac) and the iMac 64bit(no matter what chip they use) will last you longer, even if 64bit is not as big as some think it will be
     
  9. lonelemur90 macrumors member

    lonelemur90

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2006
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #9
    i agree with your decision. definitely wait. another issue which no one has brought up yet is the speed jump. keep in mind that the core duo processor in the imac and macbook/pro is a notebook processor and not meant to be extremely fast to conserve power. therefore with the new chips we can expect speeds probably starting at 2.4Ghz with dual core and intel's "hyperthreading" technology previously seen in the late pentium 4s.
     
  10. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2006
    Location:
    Wishing for a magic bus.
    #10
    If it really matters, buy an iMac now, then upgrade the CPU later (aren't the CPUs socketed in iMacs?).You'd have to open up your Mac, but still.
     
  11. combatcolin macrumors 68020

    combatcolin

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2004
    Location:
    Northants, UK
    #11
    Crank the RAM to 2GB and you'll be fine, and you can always keep it as a 2nd machine afterwoods.
     

Share This Page