going to college...help me decide

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bill4588, May 15, 2006.

1. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

I'm going to college in the fall and I'm going to be making the switch to Mac. I have NO CLUE what my major will be, because I have an interest in business, but also an interest in science, computers/technology, and cars. So I could end up using simple programs like MS Office or fancy ones involving photo/video editing. My main concern is which one should I get? A laptop or a desktop? I've been eagerly waiting for the MacBook release for months now.....but now I'm starting to think that I may not even really NEED a laptop....and the iMac sure is sleek. I would like the convenience factor of typing notes in class or taking my work with me (since I'll be coming home about every two weeks), so naturally the laptop sounds great. But then again I wonder if it's really necessary at all, and that I should just get the iMac because it's more powerful and it just seems more solid, ya know? I want to stay under $1500. So what do you recommend?

2. kumbaya macrumors regular

MacBook Pro all the way!

Portability - you never know when you're going to need that

Max out the longevity by going upmarket as much as possible

If you can wait, there is a likelihood that the 'Merom' chip will find its way in maybe around August.

That should futureproof you, and also cover you in case you're doing heavy photo/video.

Lastly, many people like the 15" size as a nice balance of size vs weight.

Hope this helps

:)

3. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

yes it does help, thanks! but I forgot to mention that I'd like to stay under $1500....I'll edit my first post now lol. I was actually just thinking about getting a MacBook and maxing out the ram (if I get a laptop). As much as I would LOVE getting a MBP, it's simply too much money. Maybe if I get a LOT of money for graduation....

4. jive macrumors 6502a

I chose a desktop as I don't like taking notes through keyboards. :]

5. kumbaya macrumors regular

O! :)

I think your choice will become a lot clearer once the MacBook is officially unveiled, and then you can compare features/price/value.

Needless to say, whether you get a MacBook or iMac, you'll be getting an awesome computer!!

Congratulations on your upcoming switch...

6. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

You can also wait till August when there is the Cram and Jam deal where you get a free iPod with a purchase of a new Mac.

"Free" after the mail in rebate.

Maybe by then, you will have a good sense of what you need for college.

7. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

i have an iMac for college and it's terrific. It is very "solid," as you say, and I never hafta worry about it being stolen! It's a sweet computer.

..On the other hand, if you're going home every two weeks (WHY?!?! college is so much better than home!) than I would recommend a laptop. For the rare times I go home (holidays, breaks) I miss my iMac dearly.

8. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

lol thanks for the advice ero! well at first im gonna come home every two weeks, but after a while i may visit once a month for a nice home cooked meal :p And I can't believe that I havnt even thought about coming home during summer/winter breaks. I would miss my mac way too much....I'm leaning towards a MacBook at this point (but a MBP depending on how much cash I get in two weeks :cool: ) Any other tips/advice is still greatly appreciated!

9. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Laptop. Desktops take up to much space and laptops can be thrown in a drawer when not in use, saves valuable desk space. (according to my bro.)

10. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

I feel like my iMac takes up no space at all! Its foot is tiny, and when I want some deskspace i hide my keyboard on the foot. It's amazing.

Original Poster: I would just get one of the new MacBooks, an MBP is a waste. In reality, those MacBook Pro is for pro usage. Just get a macbook and juice it with at least 1 GB RAM.

11. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

Speaking as a college student entering his third year, I'll try to tell you about both sides of the coin. I used only a desktop for my freshman year and was perfectly happy. It was powerful, nice, and perfect for playing any games or editing any of my films. Sophomore year I decided to take the plunge and purchased a 12" 1.33 ghz iBook with 1gig Ram, 80Gb HD. I now carry my computer to class, am able to bring it to my friend's apartments, the library, and home every holiday brake. The iBook has not once disappointed me with its power or speed (WoW, even Final Cut Pro), and I love its tiny, light enclosure (with great wireless range and battery life I might add!). I was perfectly happy before. My desktop was extremely nice, but I dont think I can go back. While there are plenty of computers available on UF's campus, I love being able to surf the internet outside, or write a paper on the couch, or travel with WoW on my back.
    What I recommend you do is to compare whatever additional benefit you think you will receive by getting a desktop over a laptop. It's clear to me that covering all of your bases (with so many varied interests in majors) is a major and valid concern. So will a desktop provide you more versatility than a laptop? Or maybe the laptop simply won't cut it (in terms of power/screenspace/durability) for the things you want to do? This you have to decide.

However, assuming you pick a laptop, then even without your budget, I wouldn't recommend a MBP. I would try to get the most bang out of the most convenient and light enclosure (without losing productivity). While it has yet to be seen, I think the MacBooks will perfectly deliver. While the MBP's are modern marvels in terms of perfomance, it is my own opinion that every inch and every pound counts, especially in the busy, frantic, walking-a-lot college environment. I have too many friends wishing now that they had just bought a small ultra-portable laptop with an additional monitor, rather then their large, heavy, hot, 2-3 hour battery eating laptops.

Whatever you decide, just make sure you get a lot of ram and HD space. It's amazing what differences those will make towards the longevity of your computer, rather than the ghz of your processor.

12. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

Haha, all that rubbish being said. Aren't iMacs sweet machines? They are just so darn pretty

13. tristan macrumors 6502a

MacBook may be released tomorrow - timing could be perfect for you.

14. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

Thanks for the feedback, TaKashMoney. A macbook is sounding better and better.....but i want an iMac too! :D lol

As cool as that would be, I honestly dont think it will be released until this thursday....probably at the press conference (i hope!).