Going to college in Sept. - Buy Rev A MacBook or wait for Rev B?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by johnbro23, Jan 19, 2006.

  1. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2004
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #1
    I'm going to Penn State this fall. I'm thinking about waiting for Rev B's to come out. They are due (according to the buyer's guide) in July or so, but there's no guarantees.

    I'm happy with a 15". I can't imagine Apple upgrading the MacBook that much for Rev B...a processor boost and 20GB HD capacity boost and thats all? So I'm just thinking that maybe I should just buy it early. I have the money now, so thats not an issue.
     
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #2
    Wait for it. Apple normally has a education discount mail-in rebate in May-June (graduation period) and later on there's a back to school one (August - September). I got an extra $100 off on my iMac. And the rebate center was in my state. :D
     
  3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

    EricNau

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2005
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
  4. johnbro23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2004
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #4
    Nah, I don't need it now, I have an eMac that runs great and does everything I need it to do.
     
  5. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

    yankeefan24

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2005
    Location:
    NYC
    #6
    wait. rev b will be less expensive and faster and better.
     
  6. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

    Winstonp

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2005
    Location:
    Boston
    #7
    dude, you don't need any computers for penn state. Penn state is an inferior rural university, with horrible sports. I recommend investing in a slide rule and some lead mechanical pencils.

    Let's go Pitt!
     
  7. Studawg7 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    Location:
    Cville, VA
    #8

    haha thems fightin words... but I'd say the same thing about Virginia Tech! haha

    as to the original poster, id go ahead and wait since you technically dont need it now, there are some deals during the summer and before the fall rush, and the rev. b should be better spec wise and build wise.

    oh and Winstonp, look and my sig and then remember Jan 1, 2005. That was a great basketball game!
     
  8. joepunk macrumors 68030

    joepunk

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2004
    Location:
    a profane existence
    #9
    As others have said, wait. And when August rolls around Apple may have another Student bundle deal (like $200 off iPod, $90 off printer, etc with purchase of laptop). If you need those things. And by then they may have refurbished MacBook Pro on the Apple site.
     
  9. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2005
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #10
    Wait. By September you may have more choices beyond the current MacBook. There could be lots of new models out by then.
     
  10. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2003
    Location:
    Toronto
    #11
    Like the Mac Tablet!
     
  11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

    EricNau

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2005
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #12
    Nope. There is no future in Tablets. Apple knows that.
     
  12. T-Stex macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2006
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    #13
    I'd agree with most of the people here saying to wait a little bit and then decide. There's no harm in waiting, if anything, you'll have more choices, a better idea of what you'll need, and possibly a better deal on a computer.

    I wouldn't listen to winstonp about rural universities either. I'm not too far away from Penn State, I'm over at Bucknell, in the middle of nowhere. Speaking of sports teams and basketball games... remember Bucknell at Pitt last year winstonp?
     
  13. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2005
    Location:
    Hollywood, FL
  14. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2005
    #15
    Im in the same boat as you and watching apple for a while this is what Im going to do.

    Buy the MCB Rev B during the back to school sale.
    Get the free iPod that comes with the sale.
    *Sell the iPod if the same thing happen last year. (After the powerbook sale, the iPod nano came out.)

    I have the money like you but have no need for another laptop since I have a TiBook already.
     
  15. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

    powerbook911

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    #16
    johnbro23,

    It is a tough call. I just worry what happens if they don't update by that time, and then you end up with the same one you could have been enjoying all along.

    on the other hand, it would be good to wait for the Student promotion, for then you could get $200 of an ipod or thereabout. Plus, you have a Mac now, so it isn't like you won't have the Mac experience between now and the summer.
     
  16. macidiot macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2002
    #17
    If you don't need it right now, then wait.

    There is always something better just around the corner. You buy when you need it and then buy the best you can afford, so it stays current the longest. A $300 computer becomes obsolete a lot faster than a $1000 one.
     
  17. truz macrumors 6502a

    truz

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2006
    Location:
    Florida
    #18
    Glad I seen this thread! I was planning on ordering a macbook pro around march.
     
  18. Passante macrumors 6502a

    Passante

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2004
    Location:
    on the sofa
    #19
    Wait until August and see what discounts PSU offers. Go Lions! PSU class of 1980!
     
  19. themacman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Location:
    kc
    #20
    i would say go for it for two reasons. First reason is it looks like an amazing machin, second reason is i doubt apple would debue a product comptley full of bugs, its apple come on, its a prety sweet machine.
     
  20. Epicurus macrumors 6502

    Epicurus

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Location:
    Minneapolis, MN
    #21
    Even if there are no bugs in the Rev. A, now that the Apple timetable is tied to Intel's, there is a pretty good chance of a new chipset for the MacBooks by September. I'd say stick it out for a few months (or at least until you can walk into an Apple store and see a MacBook in person) and pick up your computer in August. By then there will probably be some sort of "Back to School" discount if you get a MacBook and an iPod nano... Plus, by August we'll have seen a new wave of Universal apps debut at WWDC '06 so maybe some more titles will ship with the 'Book.

    If your desire for a computer this minute is what's driving you, realize that even ordering a MacBook last week means you'll be waiting a month. If you can wait a month, why not wait 5-6?
     
  21. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

    MacDonaldsd

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2005
    Location:
    London , UK
    #22
    64- Bit

    Does anyone think that rev b will have a 64 bit processor.
     
  22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

    EricNau

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2005
    Location:
    San Francisco, CA
    #23
    It might, who knows with Apple.
     
  23. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

    MacDonaldsd

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2005
    Location:
    London , UK
    #24
    Hope for something new in rev b

    Dont get me wrong i think the macbook pro is great, but for me personally they need to add something new like a 64 bit processor or a blu ray drive, to make me upgrade from my powerbook
     
  24. Studawg7 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 15, 2004
    Location:
    Cville, VA
    #25

    i went to Bucknell for undergrad as well, hence my reference to that Pitt Bucknell game! Now I am at UVA finishing my MS.
     

Share This Page