Going to Dallas

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So I'm going to be in Dallas for a week or so, leaving on Sunday. I'll have a car and time during the day to explore.

Any suggestions on interesting sites to see or places that I should visit?

D

2. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

The book depository/ JFK museum is an interesting visit if you've never been. Other than that I really don't know of much, which is really sad seeing as I've lived in the DFW metroplex for almost 6 years now.

3. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

you should come over to shreveport and we can get a beer. :)

4. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Speaking of beer there's a restaurant/bar in Addison (barely north of Dallas) called the Flying Saucer that has about 150 taps behind the bar and various other bottled varieties. That may be of interest to you.

5. Thom_Edwards macrumors regular

you've gotta check out deep ellum and lower greenville. a lot of cool things to do (restaurants, cool shops, etc) if you like touring more like a local than a tourist during the day, and a lot of places to club at night. there's a really cool aquarium/almost zoo in that area, too. http://www.dwazoo.com/default.html. all of this is just off i-35, near american airlines center.

speaking of "the jailhouse" (the aa center resembles an old prison), i'd say check out a stars game but i haven't heard of any hockey games being played there lately.... :-(

i live about 1.5 hours south of dallas (in waco, and we're not all cray...), and like atszyman, i really can't think of much to do tourist wise.

there is billy bob's, the world's largest honky-tonk. http://www.billybobstexas.com/ it's bigger than you can imagine. there is actually a rodeo arena in the bar! (i'm not really into that scene, but i have been once--i like don williams' music.) i really never thought of dallas as a tourist place. summers you have six flags and we have the stars, cowboys, mavericks, rangers, dallas fc and desparados for sports, but i don't consider that tourist stuff.

my recommendation is to take a day or two and drive down to austin. it would take probably about 4 hours. (i've never made that trip, so i'm adding different routes together.) that is the coolest city in the state. and you could drive through waco and see mt. carmel!

6. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    If you like art, The Modern in Fort Worth is a great museum. And it was designed by Tadao Ando which makes it worth seeing just for that.

7. iGav macrumors G3

I'd love to visit that :)

That's always the case though isn't it, never visiting everything on your doorstep. I remember reading somewhere that a high percetage (80-90%) of San-Franciscans have never set foot on Alcatraz. :eek:

It's the same in London as well, there's lots of places I've never visited... The Natural History Museum for example.

8. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That sounds great, only thing is I'll be taking along a 14th month old :D Maybe my wife and I will get out one night and leave the kid with our friends.

The aquarium/zoo sounds like fun. Not sure where we're staying, but I think its on the north side of Dallas and I'll really only be able to go no more than an hour from that part of town I think. We'll see what happens.

And when I was in DC we had the Smithsonians right there on the National Mall and I'd only end up going when we had friends in town. Although I did manage to get to the International Spy Museum which was a great time.

Thanks for all the ideas and if you can think of any others, post them. I'll probably check the thread while I'm there.

D

9. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Of course I keep forgetting that there are 2 Apple Stores in, or around Dallas. One standalone and one in Willow Bend Mall.

10. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Those will be good places to visit, but I'll be in Chicago the next weekend and the one on Michigan Ave. is fantastic. But going to there to check my email if I'm in the area might happen :D

D

11. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I'm not sure if you'll be around the willow bend mall just to check your email... That area (Plano) has more uber-fancy sports cars than a European auto show...