Going to england from america

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by IDANNY, May 14, 2006.

1. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

Dec 26, 2003
    Las vegas
    Is their any cell phone I should get while I am thier. That I cant get here.
  2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    No idea TBH.

Carphone Warehouse and Phones4U are both big mobile phone chains, you could check their websites..
  3. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Can you use any SIM free phone with your service provider back in the US?

If so it might be worth seeing what's available but the high street shops I've visited often only offer phones tied to a contract or only offer a small SIM free selection.

I'm currently looking to buy a new phone and the short-list is down to Nokia's 6111, N80 SonyEricsson's K800i or a Samsung P300
  4. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    there are many high street stores. if u bring a sim unlocked phone you can get a pay as you go sim and use that

if your there more long term better to get a contract
  5. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    Before you buy anything remember that the UK uses a mix of GSM 900 and GSM 1800, whereas the USA is on GSM 1900. So the phone you get needs to be labelled as "tri-band", or it won't work when you get back home.
  6. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be

most GSM phones in the States are actually 900/1800/1900 now, but not all. of course some carriers don't use GSM at all, they use CDMA.

i love how the US has to be different from the rest of the world, in everything :rolleyes:
  7. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

May 6, 2004
    In the US, I have seen three different types of GSM phones:

And that's just 3 different Nokia's that I have had in the past year

The are many different online resources to unlock your phone (which is legal.)
  8. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    True, but I'm not sure if the CDMA standard in the US is the same as the one here in Europe (known as 3G). Most GSM phones in this country are dual-band (900/1800) so definitely won't work in the US.

I don't know, maybe the OP is making life hard for himself :rolleyes:
  9. bigandy macrumors G3

Apr 30, 2004

3G isn't CDMA. It's UTMS. there is a 3G equivalent to UTMS, called CDMA2000 (ooh, catchy), but it's currently US only (and very limited at that). While CDMA2000 is a kind of bolt on update to CDMAone, UTMS is a completely new system, thats backward compatible with GSM/GPRS based networks- the reason for this backward compatibility is that normal calls are carried over these existing networks, while 3G services, such as uprated data and video calls are made using the new infrastructures.

10. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    I was told previously that 3G was CDMA, but obviously by someone who didn't know much about the subject. Thanks for the correction.
  11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    I know AT&T changed their network from whatever they used (I think 900 or 1800) to 850 a little while before the Cingular purchase, so they sent a new phone "upgrade" to all T68i users. Hmm, no Bluetooth, crappier screen, feels like it cost $5 to make the case. This is an upgrade how?
  12. pashazade macrumors member

Mar 5, 2004
    Richmond, London, UK
    Nokia N80

A good (if expensive option) would be the Nokia N80

13. theBB macrumors 68020

Jan 3, 2006
    You guys are both right. UMTS does indeed use CDMA technology, which is the nuts and bolts behind the system, but IS-95 or cdma2000 cell phones (offered by Sprint and Verizon in the US) use a different flavor of CDMA, so that they are not compatible with European style 3G networks.

If you buy an unlocked phone from Europe, you will most certainly have to use Cingular or T-Mobile as your service provider.
  14. portent macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2004
    i love how Europe has to be different from the US, in everything :rolleyes:
  15. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    The US might well be the odd man out here. At least here in Australia, the European mobile phone standards predominate.
  16. portent macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2004
    We are, largely because European governments have outlawed non-european standards for mobiles.

It was interesting to watch as GSM hit a capacity wall. GSM had nowhere to go, but CDMA did. So what did Europe do?

They announced a new, totally incompatible CDMA standard. Developed by European companies.
  17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Interoperability between countries was extremely important for obvious reasons. GSM also dominates the world stage so it can't be all bad. Also, SIM cards make a lot of sense, I was able to use my T-Mobile phone in Europe simply by getting a new card and not having to bother with getting an entirely new phone. The convenience is worth if for those who travel. For those who never leave the US, who cares?