going to europe, want to bring powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by orijinal, Jul 14, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502

orijinal

2. macrumors 603

OutThere

You should just be able to buy the plug adapter set from magellans. Just use the plug that hooks directly into the 'box' on your power supply, instead of the long cord that hooks in.

The box supports up to 240v, and all the travel set does is provide different little plugs for the box. The long cord doesn't officially support 240v, so to be safe I wouldn't use it.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

orijinal

well, the plug that hooks directly into the 'box' has a label of "125V," in fact the long chord has this label on it as well. is that a problem?

4. macrumors G4

It shouldn't be a problem but if you want to put your mind at rest, buy a standard figure-of-8 cable when you arrive in Europe. Every hardware shop will have them for about €1.50.

5. macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I am living in the UK at the moment with my American iBook.

Ok, you just need the power adapters from Magellan. I've been to Europe and back 2 times and so I can guarantee you that you just need the adapter.

For anything else you are bringing, you'll need a power converter (a transformer) to use your items without harm.

Personally, the Apple travel kit thing is a total rip off.

6. macrumors G4

Chundles

My iBook is Canadian (110V) and I've been using the long extension cord with a plug adapter on the end for over a year now here in Australia (240V) with no problems whatsoever.

7. macrumors G4

How long is long? You're not charging it from Canada are you? :eek:

8. macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

I used a very cheap wall adapter in Ireland to plug in my US powerbook adapter, and it made funny noises at the wall, and my powerbook had a very odd "static-y" feeling about it, where i could almost feel electricity flowing over the case. There was no permanent damage, it just left me a bit terrified.

9. macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, you may not know this but all of Australia is powered from one long extension cord plugged in under someone's desk in a small two-story house just outside of Tofino, BC

10. macrumors G4

Yeah, I'd read that somewhere. Didn't they once forget to pay their electric bill, causing the Canadian economy to collapse?

11. thread starter macrumors 6502

orijinal

Thank you very much, I appreciate your honest answers and support! Off to Radioshack I go! :)

One question though... what is up with the "125V" marker on the prong part that hooks into the 'box' of the AC adapter? This little marking is what has thrown me off this entire time.

12. thread starter macrumors 6502

orijinal