Going to Europe with my Ibook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by pjb8y1, Jul 30, 2006.

1. pjb8y1 macrumors newbie

I am going to Ireland and would like to take my MAC notebook.
    Is there a way to deal with the different voltage(240 in Europe) in charging my MAC? Does it automatically convert voltage input or do I need something to be able to recharge in Europe?
    thanks for any help

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Lots of threads on this but basically all you need is an plug adaptor for your power brick. The power supply for Apple notebooks can cope with the different voltages.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Don't be a fool. Do not buy this thing.

Almost all laptops have auto-changing power supplies. All you need is a set of Traveling plug adapters, which should be no more than $10-15. And if you are only going to be in West Europe, all you need is the Europe plug (has two simple rounded prongs) about $3.

Do a search on the forums, you'll find several others exactly like this. The Apple Travel kit is just an expensive white collection of something you can get for much less. Although for any other appliances you are taking (digital camera) you will need a Voltage Rectifier (transformer) which is about $10 as well. Where are you planning on going?

4. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Exactly, when on the continent, I simply use a figure of 8 lead I got with my LaCie HD that plugs into continental European sockets.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I've been living in England for nearly a year now (I'm from California). I have traveled to Europe several times as well, and have experienced how to deal with taking my Mac (as well as other electronics).

Therefore I began a Guide Regarding Traveling to Europe with a Mac. I hope to continue adding to it until I am satisfied that it answers people's questions regarding this confusing yet easily solved problem.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^How was the transition to England..I'm thinking about moving there after I'm done with film school...Got to use my Italian passport sometime:)

Bless

7. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

That wouldn't do much good in Ireland, where they use the same three-pronged plug as the UK.

Anyway, you want something like this:

http://www.batteryprice.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=612

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Somehow I totally missed he is going to Ireland. Duh.

Good Call Quagmire.

9. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Dont. England is full of "chavs" and "scunners" (if you choose the wrong places). It can be very nice (where I live), but in the cities (mostly Northern) it can be a tad rough. I prefer America :D.

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I think that's a bit of a misconception. Yeah, it isn't the prettiest all the time, but it isn't that bad. Although I prefer America too :D

EDIT: Haven't heard of Scunners before, but Chavs and Scalleys, we definitely got those.

11. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I just bought a universal plug adaptor. Just plug the iBook power bloc into the plug adaptor and then the plug adaptor into the socket and you're done.

You should be able to find such adaptors at any good electronics shop, both in the US or when you get to Ireland.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe all Apple's recent-ish products have self-switching power units (laptops, iPods, desktops, ...). My 333MHz G3 iMac already had this nifty feature.

12. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Go to England. You will love it. Especially the cities. Public transportation and accessibility is far better in England than it is in most average sized American cities. You'll find that pretty much everything is conveniently accessible, unlike in most parts of the US where you need a car to get everywhere. It is no more dodgy than living in urban America.