Going to Get a Powerbook...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by clayj, Aug 6, 2005.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

OK, a "perfect storm" of events has occurred, leading me to seriously consider getting a Powerbook today...

1. I just made almost $400 in a garage sale, which I'd like to apply to something fun.
    2. We're having a tax-free weekend here in NC.
    3. I finally realized that (duh) I can run Virtual PC on a Powerbook, so I can still use my Windows applications for which there is no Mac equivalent (Entourage <> Outlook for Windows).

So, I'm thinking of a 1.5 GHz Powerbook G4 with 1 GB of RAM (512 KB stock, I will upgrade the RAM myself if I can). Anyone have any suggestions as to what else would be good? I'm thinking that the video RAM in there is enough to drive a monitor at 1920 x 1200, so I should be OK with that.

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

My personal rule is "upgrade at purchase what you can't upgrade later." Personally, at the minimum, I'd upgrade the video card and the CPU (I'm pretty sure the 9700 doesn't come with the 1.5 anyway).

3. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Assuming you are getting the 15 incher, get 128 of VRAM, as I don't think you can update it later on. 1 gig of RAM would alwso be good, but that is something that you can update later on down the road...

4. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

According to the Apple Store, you have to get a 1.67 GHz machine in order to upgrade the VRAM to 128 MB. The 15" 1.5 GHz does come with a 64 MB 9700 GPU, so upgrading it turns out not to be an option.

I guess my real question is, is it worth the extra $300 to get the 1.67 GHz with SuperDrive vs. the 1.5 GHz with Combo Drive? (Upgrading the GPU to 128 MB makes it a $400 difference.)

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I think it's worth it. If, for some reason you want to or have to upgrade later, it's going to cost you a hell of a lot more than $400 (probably the cost of a new laptop).

6. the future macrumors 6502a

I have a 23" Cinema Display connected to a 1.5 GHz Powerbook (64 Mb VRAM). Runs like a champ. IMO 128 MB VRAM are only necessary for games or for connecting the 30" Cinema Display. If you don't need a superdrive while you're on the go, the stock 1.5 'book and some extra RAM are the best value for money IMO.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You should purchase the Best PowerBook that is still affordable. If you are into graphics then the increased VRAM would be important. Extra RAM itself is also important.

I would also recommend AppleCare.

8. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

OK, I got a 15", 1.5 GHz Powerbook with a SuperDrive ($2149). I'd've gone with just the plain combo drive, but they were out of stock on that model due to the sales tax holiday here (side note: the Apple Store was JAMMED). I don't think I'll miss the extra .17 GHz (the sales dude agreed with me), and since I'll not be playing games or driving a 30" display, I don't need the 128 MB VRAM upgrade. I will be upgrading the RAM myself, to 1.5 GB, as soon as I can order it... this'll be important as I will be running Virtual PC on this machine (so I can keep using Outlook 2003 for Windows).

Thanks everyone for your feedback... I'll let you know how the new machine's working!

9. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

Entourage for Mac is very pleasant, congratulations on your new Mac BTW!

10. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

I agree wholeheartedly. Is there a reason you need to keep using Outlook for Windows?

11. ajampam macrumors regular

ajampam

Wish lots and lots of great moments with the upcoming PB....gosh, I can just feel the excitement when you finally walk into the apple store knowing you atlast gonna pick up the enchanting li'l machine....have lots of fun buddy! :) :D

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't use Entourage personally, but this thread got me thinking that maybe it's not a very viable alternative to Mail. :(

13. bigredsixer macrumors newbie

bigredsixer

Or you can get the 15" 1.67 machine with superdrive, and subtract all the features you dont need. It subtracts 150$ if you downgrade to combo drive...and then your able to upgrade your 64mb video for 128mb video with dual dvi outputs for only 100$. Actually comes out cheaper than stock listing for 15". You can always get an external burner later for cheap.

14. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

15. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I just bought the 15" PB w/ combo drive, 1.5GHz, 64MB video, upgraded the RAM to 1.5GB using Newegg RAM. No regrets here. Bump to 1.67GHz and 128MB video is nice, but again not worth the $$ for most people. I think you made the right decision. Most people who need better graphics cards than the one you got know they need it.

I do recommend Apple Care. Unfortunately, I have had to use it more than once on previous Powerbooks, so I will definitely be buying it for this one before the year is up.

16. bigredsixer macrumors newbie

bigredsixer

When you take out the superdrive on the 1.67 and add the 128 meg video it ends up costing about 249$ extra than the 1999$ version. But my rule of thumb has always been upgrade NOW what you cant later. Processor, Video, ect... And for 249$ the faster processor and faster video is worth it to me. I do end up doing alot of work that ends up using video memory.