Going to Hawaii - need "tanning" advice.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by emw, Feb 27, 2006.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

So here's the story - my wife and I are headed to Hawaii in 3 weeks for our 10th anniversary. I'm really looking forward to the trip, but I'm not looking forward to hitting the beach looking roughly the color of the background of the dialog box into which I'm currently typing. I'm hoping for a little advice on how to hit the sand looking a little less like some poor schmuck from the midwest who hasn't had sun for 6 months.

I'd prefer not to do any actual tanning since, aside from being immensely boring and time-consuming, I'm not real high on the thought of sitting under intense UV light more than necessary. Well, at least until I'm on the beach in Kona. ;)

I guess I need to know if anyone has used any of the "self-tanning" lotions or sprays, either on their own or at a salon of some sort. I have visions of the Friends episode where Ross gets really tan on half of his body, and I don't really want that to happen. And I don't want to end up looking like some sort of orange freak either. It's okay being a pasty white freak, but some unnatural orange really doesn't appeal to me.

Has anyone used a product that they really like can recommend?

2. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

My advice? Just show up and use a bunch of Hawaiian Tropic’s Dark Tanning Oil. At night pile on the Aloe and you'll be lookin' like a french frie in no time :D Rather than laying out, you two should rent a little Hobie Cat or throw a frisbee so that you can have some fun while you're soaking up the sun :)

3. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Ok, I wanted to get a REALLY nice tan last time I went. I never but ANY sun tan lotion on, at all! My mistake, trust me. I got a second degree burn. Now that hurt like hell. :eek:

You'll get an AWESOME tan with 35 on. That's what the rest of my family used and they got an awesome tan.

EDIT: I should read the post, not the title. :eek:

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I find that Wood Stains seem to work quite well for me and might be especially appropriate for you. Many last seven years or more - far better than those cheap tanning products.

As far as serious advice? Sadly, I have none. I vaguely remember some concept of "sunlight" but am uncertain what it's used for.

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

You've been married ten years--she loves you anyway. Just slap on a lot of 45 the first couple of days, and then drop down to 30 after that. You'll get some color, but stay healthy. Besides, it's not like all the other vacationers aren't also going to come in pasty-white (if that's what they were to begin with).

6. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I agree with the "slap on the tanning lotion" crowd. Plenty of lotion and and in time you'll brown right up.

Another piece of advice. Three weeks in Hawaii? Unless you've been there before and REALLY like the place, I think you are going to want to kill yourself before three weeks is up. One week is PLENTY. (just my two cents)

Have a great time. Happy Anniversary. 10 years is quite the accomplishment.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

8. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I've used the sunless tanning before, but I wouldn't again. I used Neutrogena, which I had heard was pretty good, but, frankly, while I wasn't completely orange I still looked fake. I am probably in the same category skin color as you--almost transparently white. I think that makes a lot of difference. The other thing to remember is that it will fade--faster if you get into the water a lot--and it can also have a certain odor at first that is a bit hard to get rid of without washing off some of the "tan."

I agree with the rest of the community. Just use suntan/sunscreen lotion when you're there. The sunless tanning won't prevent you from getting sunburns anyway. The natural way is a better way to go. You don't have to worry about smearing, discoloration (even over time), streaking and all the other mess that sunless tanner offer.

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

call tanning salons and ask for a "high pressure bed" they are unique in that they have massive UV B filters (the one that burns the most) and you can go in and literally come out tan a few hours later. (no burns). it is incredibly hot in there and it doesn't look or act like a typical tanning bed. it is usually about $30 per session but it's worth every penny if you want to tan quickly. they are often called "ultra bronze" beds because it gives you an immediate base tan. not all salons carry them (they are horribly expensive and power-hogs) so check around. usually high-end places have them.

highly recommend it. if you want more info i can elaborate and or look it up further.

edit: here is a picture of the bed, they ALL look about like this if it is the type i am referring to. if it doesn't look like this, don't get in it. link edit 2: another link: link2

10. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Here's my best advice:

DO NOT, under any circumstances, take tanning advice from Madjew.

(shudders at thought of crab-tan).

Also, if you're taking your old lady to hawaii for your 10th anniversary, she better give it up a lot. And I mean 5,6 times a day. Course this could kill you, but it'd be a nice way to die. :p

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Might be a bit 'girlie' although I believe metrosexual (where's the barf smiley) men go for it. You could go to one of those 'spray' tan salons - it'll give you a smidge of colour for the first few days - not brown, but not lard-white either.

Doing it yourself is possible - get wife to help with back and don't sleep on white sheets afterwards. But wear gloves doing it, put moisturiser on your knees, heels, toes - otherwise the drier skin there will soak up lots of selftan lotion and turn a very weird shade compared to the rest of you. Those bits of you should almost be done at the end as an afterthought with what's left on your hands.

12. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Ha ha.

No, I'm leaving in 3 weeks, not for 3 weeks. I'll be there for 8 days. I've been there before, so I think we'll be okay. :D

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Does the self tanning spray ACTUALLY change the melanin to make one less susceptible to sun burns? I didn't think it did.

Anyway, my wife and I got married in the Bahamas, and I don't tan very well at all.. now burning, I'm EXCELLENT at that. And it takes almost no effort. What can I say? Some of us were born with it..

Before we went, I did the tanning salon thing. I, like you, got bored easily and wasn't really into it, but it's really not bad. 20 minutes passes quite quickly.

Tanning bed in conjunction with SPF30 and I made it through 7 days in the strong bahamas sun, at the pool, with my lily-white skin, and no sunburn. Granted I was not that "brown" when I went, but I really think it helped (I tend to burn through SPF 30 as well).

So, I say, do the tanning bed thing, slap on the sun screen in Hawaii,

AND HAVE A GREAT TIME!!

Let us know how it was when you get back, I wanna take my wife there for our 5 year.

14. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Nope - you still need lots of high factor lotion while you are there - it just makes you feel less pasty. And at some point in the week, you end up really impressed by how long the spray is lasting until you realise that it's now your real colour ;)

As for brands - the St Tropez is expensive but I've had good results with it. Garnier are quite good too. The salon is most expensive but best results by a mile.

15. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think that Applespider has had the best advice so far... the professionally done spray tan... and the application of lotion to skin/body areas that are more dry to prevent overapplication of color/tanner.

You can try this product that I have personally used with decent results: Neutrogena's Instant Bronzer/Self Tanner Foam. It pumps out in an easy to apply foam that is colored so you can seeeee how much you're applying. The trick to if you're scared of looking unnatural?! Don't leave it on too long and if it does look too tanned, then you can hop in the shower w/ an exfoliating sponge and scrub a bit. <-- Just realize that you'll make your skin pinkish from that stimulation but if you wait a few hours you should see a more true version of the color.

16. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I realize that any self-tanning lotion won't provide any additional sun protection, and I fully intend to protect myself as necessary from the sun. Which essentially means coating myself in lead since I tend to burn pretty easily.

I like the idea of the 20-minute tanning bed, as well. All I'm looking for is something of a base "browning" so I don't look so pale.

Actually, she's taking me. So I guess I'd better rest up. :D

17. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

:eek:

Ummm, well... what had happened was... it was like this, right?... and then I was, well...

Sorry. It was an accident, yall.:eek:

Although, I still say three weeks is way too long to be in Hawaii.:D

18. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

I'll mention that to the people who live there while I'm visiting. :D

19. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

You're damn right you better!

lol good times.

I've enver been to anywhere tropical. I've had lots of tropical juice and candy in my life though...

20. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

yeah i can't say enough good things about those high pressure tanning beds. it is honestly the easiest and most effective ways of achieving base color. it's the way to go, i swear by it.
    by the way, the time is usually 30 minutes because you have to keep flipping over, the bulbs are only on top... and you'll find it's better that way, it is really hot in there, no matter what they tell you. turn the fans on as high as they go. you can use tan accelerators too, i know it seems excessive but they work, mainly the arms and legs which are really tolerant to light. skip what they call "tingle factor" in the accelerators though, that is just a bunch of niacin and it will probably freak you out. (it feels weird) you won't burn, i swear. these beds are really different, awesome. good luck and hope this helps. :)

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Wait wait wait, you haven't heard it yet.

Okay, so lather yourself up in orange juice except for your nipples. Lay down on your belly in the sun on a hill (like the one in my 'tar) and slowly roll down at a pace of about a metre per hour. Then, stand on your head for thirty minutes. This last bit should ensure maximum redness.

Oh, wait, what colour are you going for again?...

22. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

When tanning, dont dorget to turn over every once and awhile. You dont want to be half tan and half normal. :eek:

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

If you are going to tan on the beach...remember to bring a timer so you can remember to turn over and get a even tan.....you don't want to bake and come home like this.

without the bra;)

Bless

Attached Files:

24. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

GAH!!!!!!!! IT'S THE MADJEW GONE CRAB AGAIN!

(runs scared)

25. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

*Runs sideways after Onizuka, clapping pincers together menacingly*