Going to miss 99.1 WHFS

Discussion in 'Community' started by mgargan1, Jan 12, 2005.

1. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

So today at noon, 99.1 WHFS, DC's largest alt. rock station, was bought out by some spanish station! I, for one, am upset... I mean, there isn't going to be any more HFStivle!!

2. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

omfg...this blows. Seriously.

I mean, its "just" a radio station, but when I checked the WHFS website, seeing that El Zol logo just hit me like a ton of bricks. I am almost getting the same feeling I had from this year's election (in terms of shock and disbelief).

Now the only thing left is 104 or DC101, and I'm not even sure 104 plays rock anymore.

3. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

i don't understand why they kept 98rock... i don't know anyone who listens to it.

4. applekid macrumors 68020

I must be one of the few people glad to see HFS go. Their DJs sucked, the music sucked, and their shows sucked. My only disappointment is seeing Loveline go with it. I am also not too sure about the whole HFS-sponsored things going such as HFStival. And it sorta seemed pointless moving their station only to be replaced by el Zol months later.

98 Rock and DC 101 for me. Then again, the only reason I listened to the radio was for Loveline, pretty much. So, back to listening to my iPod for music.

I do get the streams of Loveline through Buzz Atlanta, so that'll do for now.

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

wow... that is news to me...

i've never lived near DC, but i frequently visit there since i went to a college in Virginia and many of my friends live in the area... HFS was one of the few stations i knew the call number - they played "regular" radio-friendly music, but when you are just a visitor, knowing a station that plays recognizable music was a big deal...

since the college days, i've grown a bit, i guess. nowadays, i just listen to NPR...

incidentally, i'm visiting DC this weekend, but i won't be driving, so i guess no need for a radio... (my iPod mini will do... ;) )

6. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I feel your pain. Same thing happened in NY with WLIR, the only decent radio station in all of NYC. Taken over by a Spanish station. Sigh....

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Damn I used to love that station whenever I was near the state line. Everynowandthen I could even pick it up locally.

Time for satellite radio I guess.

8. makisushi macrumors 6502

I was away for a couple of weeks on a ski trip, I come back and Howard Stern goes to commercial, I flip over to the Junkies...and WHA'!!! Latin pop?!?

I guess I will be listening to more NPR in the mornings...I can't stand "idiot in the morning" on dc101.
    WHFS is an institution in the DC area... sad to see them go...i guess they can be heard on the web now.

9. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

10. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

apparently, 105.7 will be the home of hfs (on the weekends) for the next little while. baltimore news mentioned it real qucik the other day, and i wasn't really paying attention. i might check it out this weekend. if i do, i'll post an update as to how this is going to work. rumors are that it may move over permanently, but right now that are looking for a home. after wiring my ipod to a belkin auto kit to the mini bus on my alpine where it plays while sitting in the radio shack cell phone cradle that is hooked to the air vent, i don't listen to the radio except for wtop, but i'll try to make an exception for you all. good luck to those who miss it.

11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

it's funny how everyone says how much they miss the station, how great it was, etc. but the station's rating had been falling for years. they had basically become a non-existent blip on the radar when compared to dc101.

dont get me wrong, i've enjoyed my fair share of hfstivals and whatnot, but maybe the station wasnt appealing to most of the dc crowd anymore?

12. makisushi macrumors 6502

I guess it's only old farts like me, that remember the true haydays of WHFS

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

for the past few years, before I moved out to Indiana last summer, I hadn't been listing to any radio stations - we got XM Radio in the car and that was much better.

It is sad though - it was a great station and had great events, but after listening to commercial free radio on XM, its very hard to go back to regular terrestrial radio and all the blather....

D

14. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I was surprised when HFS turned Latin, but I can't say I'll miss it. I don't really listen to the radio unless I'm curious about traffic or weather, and then it's some AM station like WBAL. I listen to my iPod whenever I'm in my truck.

Shame about the HFSestival, though. They usually had some great acts. Hope they'll come up with a way to carry on, even under a different banner.

For those of you forced to listen to KML, I feel your pain.