Going to Order New Car...

Discussion in 'Community' started by EJBasile, May 20, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

On monday I'm going back to the Land Rover dealership and I am trading in my 2003 Range Rover and my 2001 Range for a new Supercharged Range Rover.

It will have...
    400hp Supercharged Jaguar V8 (0-60 in 7sec)
    20" Wheels
    Navagation System
    4WD monitoring system (shows diagram of wheels and where the power is going)
    Adjustable Air Suspension
    Brembo Breaks
    Satillite radio
    Grey Interrior w/ walnut trim

I am wondering whether I should get in Black, Silver, or Grey-silver.

I'll miss my 2001 Rover- It was a great car, but its being replaced by one of the coolest SUVs. I test drove another SuperCharged RR and its incredible, it has amazing acceleration, highway acceleration, breaking, turning, etc. Its like a sports car.

3 Days until I can put my order in and then I have to wait :(

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

NICE CAR!!! I like black, esp if your are going to get chrome rims...
    what color leather do you plan on getting?
    Be sure to post pics

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

:(

Well, if you're going to get that monster, can you try going through a car broker (price negotiator) like I did? It saved me around 10% on the car. ;) Since my car was only $18800 (Aussie dollars, not US), and I paid $16700, I actually saved more than 10%, I guess.

Whatever, I just want you to get the most for your money, although I don't know if you can even negotiate on an exclusive car like that. Expensive cars.....sure, negotiate away. But if this is exclusive and will sell out in milliseconds, then fugitaboutit.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Some would ask why exactly you need a rediculously pointless SUV like that?
    What's wrong with a smaller normal car?
    As a matter of intrest did you know the Range Rover Sport is less fuel efficient than the Ford Model T?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, but try finding a low mileage T these days. :rolleyes:

I've got no problems with people spending vast amounts of money on cars like this personally. See it this way - purchaser pays premium for said car, excess money goes into R&D for car company to produce even better cars including trying to meet more stringent environmental design standards. Everyone's a winner. :D

Just one point though, good luck trying to see 60mph off in seven seconds with only 400bhp. I realise it sounds like (and is) a powerful engine but when it's made to lug a hefty SUV round, it's a little lacklustre. :(

6. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Canyonero !!!! ye ha!!!

Great to see that the environmental message has found you. Buy something with better mileage for F*** sake. Talk about ostentatious consumerism.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe that's not the best way to join a new community. ;)

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

9. sourcemonkey macrumors regular

i say keep the laws tight but as this passes the current laws then... well... where do we draw the line? :confused:

I'd say go for the black in this case and enjoy.

10. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

Well, not to rain on your parade (and I've only owned Land Rovers since getting out of school) but you should take a test drive in the Cayenne. It has a much better ride and performance in every way.

11. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I do have a normal car- Mecedes E-320 CDi (theres your fuel efficient car)

Also I'm not getting the Sport I'm getting the Range Rover with the 400hp V8.

12. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Grey-Silver is a nice color. Silver and Black are way too common.Though Black might be most suitable for that vehicle.

13. bartelby macrumors Core

Ah yes! Exactly the same engine but with 10BHP more than the Range Rover Sport.
    Less fuel efficient I guess. 17.something miles to the gallon combined!

How much off road driving do you do?

14. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

Obviously he/she does little to none. I have never seen a '03 or newer RR off road, but with all their electronics most off roaders prefer something easier to repair when you break it in the middle of nowhere. But are you on a personal crusade to stop the 10,000 new Range Rover per year owners? Do you think that a significant amount of pollution is being produced by these vehicles compared to the hundreds of millions of Hondas/Subarus/insert auto manufacturer here ? Let the guy enjoy his cars, jeez.

And, you totally failed to notice the "D" in his mercedes indicates a diesel which gets 30 mpg. Pretty good for 200 HP.

15. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Wow- thank you for taking my side. :)

I never drive off road unless you consider back dirt roads in vermont in the middle of a snow storm. But who acutally takes there SUV off road.

Also note that the 20" wheels are stock- not some ugly custom "pimp" wheels.

I'm definaty getting a grey/black interrior but I've started to like the navy blue. Black, Gray-silver, or Blue.

Trading in my 2001 (60k miles on her) I'm getting $25,000 and my 2003 has a trade in value of 52,000 with 35k miles on it. The dealers had a white with white interrior Supercharged and a red with white interrior with the supercharger at the dealership. Unfortunatly I don't like either of the colors.

16. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I believe it has much better preformance, but I don't really like the exterior styling of it, at least not as much as the RR.

17. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Sweet ride!!! I would go with the black one. I've always wanted a Range Rover but the closest dealer is about 2 hours away. Oh well. I'll be getting a Subaru Legacy GT soon so that'll have to do :)

18. jestershinra macrumors regular

19. TrashCanDan macrumors member

"Canyonero !!!! ye ha!!!"

Smells like a steak and seats thirty-five!

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Beautiful motor, personally "SUV's" get on my nerves...but still, nice motor :)

21. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Thats another reason not to get a porsche cayanne. The dealership is way to far away. The Land Rover dealership used to be in the next town over about 20min away from my house. They moved and now it is 35min from my house but only 15min away from my work.

The mercedes dealership is 40min away from my house and 30min away from my work.

22. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

You never mentioned that you were considering the Porsche. It's a whole different story now.

23. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I only wish my life's decisions are that hard where I would have to end that post with a frowney face. :p

24. bartelby macrumors Core

'D' means diesel? No Sh*t!!!
    I didn't fail to notice it at all.
    I chose to ignore it, as the need for one person to have two cars is a totally different point (which I will not go into).

The MPG isn't my main problem.
    My problem is with people who have absolutely no need for huge (I know a RR isnt the biggest) 4x4s buying them. The 'safety' argument it utter crap.
    I really hate the 'as long as I'm alright Jack' type attitude that comes across when people with SUVs talk about safety, have you ever seen what an SUV does to a smaller car in an impact?

I did pick up on the fact they're getting rid of 2 RR to get one though.