Going to Orlando...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacFan782040, Feb 24, 2006.

1. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

It's gonna be me and my 4 friends, we're 19. What parks should we go to? I've never been to Florida before. I'm leaning towards Universal Islands of Adventure, and MGM. But that's just based on what I've heard. I don't want anything too "kiddy" but also I want to experience the whole Disney/Orlando thing.

What is a cheap way to get from the Airport to Hotel? (Kissimmee)

I know we're gonan spend a fortune on food, so we're gonna buy like instant noodles and hotdogs and cook them to save money :D

Is there anything else you recommend? Hell, I've never even been on a plane before.

2. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

I think Sea World is the best thing there! I went a couple of years ago to Sea World San Deigo and I was in awe....I had forgotten how incredibly AMAZING the whales, dolphins, polar bears, etc. were when I went as a kid to the one in Florida. I appreciated that place more as an adult! :)

Oh and I would fly Delta or Southwest....there are no other airline companies I trust!

3. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I love going to Disney World... I'm 19 as well and I have fun every time I go...

I know you said you aren't up for going out to dinner but....I would recommend you go to Disney's Wilderness Lodge Hotel and eat breakfast at "The Whispering Canyon"... the waiters and waitresses are loud and obnoxious (it's an act) but there food is unbelievable

4. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I've been to Walt Disney World, Epcot Center and the MGM Studios Park, but that was about twelve years ago. They're all a lot of fun, and I wouldn't get too hung up on whether what you're doing is too "kiddie". On the contrary, that's one of the big attractions of amusement parks, for me anyways. ;)

I'd like to go back and see the Animal Kingdom part of the park. I've never been to the Universal Studios Theme Park but would also like to visit there some day.

Does your hotel offer a shuttle service to and from the airport? Sometimes it's free, other times it may cost a smallish amount, but it's usually cheaper than taking a taxi. On the other hand, how many days are you going to be down there? Does it make sense to just rent a car?

P.S. I would advise you to do some research ahead of time (possibly even buying a guidebook) before visiting any of the big amusement parks. They are seriously huge, and if you want to get the most out of them I find it's best to have a "strategy" about which rides and shows you want to see and when you want to see them.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've lived in the area since 1997. I would suggest going to Islands of Adventure or Seaworld most days and you might want to try Wet 'n' Wild, if you like water parks. You can find a motel/hotel on International Drive since they're all there. There are plenty of fast food places, too, and too many tourist stores. It's about 20 minutes drive from Florida Mall and I'm pretty certain that there is a bus there--and there is an Apple store, if you want that.

I don't know how many of the motels on U.S. 192 near Kissimmee have microwave ovens but that's about all you'll get most likely. I don't suppose you can rent a car but you can use Super Shuttle to get from the airport to practically anywhere in the metro Orlando area.

DisneyWorld is okay and they'll have Expedition: Everest or whatever it's called open by then so you can try the newest Disney roller coaster that's available in Animal Kingdom. Of course, with MGM and Animal Kingdom, you might as well try the other two. The 4 park pass shouldn't be that much more but check into that online.

Also, if you buy Universal tickets online, you can save money with special deals. Of course, 1 day tickets are something like $62 each at every major park.

6. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Islands of Adventure and Universal DEFINATELY!!!

Also, at night the boardwalk is a must!

And if you're into sneakers, gear, etc,etc.. like I am, they have 6 Nike outlets, as well as a boat load of other clothing outlets!

I usually go up there one or two times a month, just to hit up all the outlets!

7. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Disney World. I too am 19 and still enjoy that place as much as anyone else. Of course Universal is must too. I havent been to Orlando is so long I don't even know what they have.

8. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Don't forget Downtown Disney. They have a lot of eating places and a few bars and it's free!!!

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I did it all when i lived in Orlando(i get around:) ) go to a place where all the clubs are...pleasure island i think and do check out all the parks.

Bless

10. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

There is waaaaay too much down there to see on one trip, so pick a few places, enjoy them, and save the rest for a later trip. Heck, it would take you two weeks to see everything just at Disney. I worked there and still didn't see it all!

Animal Kingdom is really neat. You can cover MGM in a bit over a half-day if the crowds are slim. Sea World is worth seeing.

If you have some specific things you have questions about, let us know!

11. MacFan782040 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the suggestions. It will be a fun trip I know. We can't rent a car, cause don't you have to be like 25 for that? Our hotel offeres free shuttle service to/from the parks, not from the airport to hotel.

I can't think of anymore questions right now but if I do I'll let you know :cool:

12. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

My grandfather paid for my family to spend a week at Disney back in 2002. We stayed at the Caribbean Resort that Disney has and I personally went to MGM, Epcot, and Magic Kingdom. I skipped the Animal Kingdom and spent that day swimming at the resort pool. Anyhow, it was a fun trip, however, it was so very Humid at that time in July. Also the theme parks are so big and there is a lot of walking to do, so like someone else said, plan ahead of time what you want to see. MGM and Epcot were my two favorite parks.

I would like to travel back down and include Universal Orlando and Sea World into the trip. Perhaps another trip to Disney would be fun, too, since I am sure a lot as changed since my last trip there.

Best advice I can give A) Have fun B) look at the Apple store if you get a chance.

13. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

have a lot of fun

you can have orlando, just give me dawn :)

14. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Unless it's the wrong time of year (couldn't tell when you're planning to go) then you should definitely plan on Wet-n-Wild. Best park around here.

jW

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You mean Universal CityWalk for boardwalk? It's free except for parking.

16. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Yes, that's the place... During the day there's not too much to do besides shop, but at night all the clubs/bars open up!!