Going to sleep while computer is working?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whaleboy, Feb 23, 2007.

1. whaleboy macrumors member

I'm new to Macs, so maybe I should've known this, but I was burning a disc today on my MBP (plugged in), and the computer went to sleep in the middle of it. The prefs say it will go to sleep when inactive. Sorry, but if the machine is chugging away on a task, it is NOT inactive. I understand the screen going to sleep, which is fine, but why would the machine go to sleep while it was busy, preventing it from finishing its task? Does Apple only consider "active" to be user key/trackpad/mouse input?

:mad:

-David

2. andysc macrumors regular

andysc

I have the similar issue when downloading things like torrents; the downloads will be going but if I leave the computer (not touching the keyboard or mouse) it will go to sleep, thus shutting down the internet connection/download.

3. whaleboy thread starter macrumors member

Well I've just set it to never sleep if plugged in. I'd rather it just went to sleep when the computer wasn't doing anything.

-David

4. Yukinara macrumors member

the solution is easy,if you want to leave it work all the time,just go to System Preference-->Energy Saver-----choose Power Adapter---->set "Put the computer to sleep......." to Never
    then,when your comp is inactive,it only turn off the screen,leave the apps working. I leave my MacBook on 24/7,so it's helpful what way ;)

5. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Is the computer considered to be in sleep mode when the screensaver comes on? I download large files via dial-up at night on my G3 Imac and after an hour the screensaver will come on, but the download continues. When I get up in the morning, the download is complete (after running several hours). I have set the preferences to put in sleep mode after one hour of inactivity, but it still runs the download until it is done.

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Hmm strange, mine only sleeps when inactive. if a torrent is active or any other task is going on it WON'T go to sleep.

My ESPs are set to 1hr inactive sleep and 15 mins display sleep. Maybe try resetting PMU/SMC & PRAM?

7. whaleboy thread starter macrumors member

Mine was set to 15 display and 45 machine. I have been having random sleep problems though (on a 2 week old MBP :( )... Sometimes not sleeping when I close the lid, If set to sleep manually, it can wake up when I close the lid, etc. I reset the power management system and everything has been ok for the past couple days (except going to sleep in the middle of a dvd rip). If any more sleep issues come back, the machine is going in for repair.

-David

8. andysc macrumors regular

andysc

I went ahead and just set it so my macbook doesn't sleep when it's plugged in. Thanks for the help.

9. notwist macrumors regular

Yep, same with mine.

10. dpgr macrumors newbie

going to sleep while working

Hello, did you find a solution? I have the same problem and nothing seems to solve the problem. Help!

11. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Use insomniaX and set your mac to never sleep.

12. David58117 macrumors 6502a

Wow, the OP is from 2007!

Download Caffeine. It puts a little coffee cup up top, and you activate/deactivate it as necessary.

Completely solves this problem quick and easily.

13. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

I just found out this happens with ML, it didn't happen when I was running SL.