Going to the Apple store in 4 hours! Need opinions!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Chrispy, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

As the title says, I'm going to be leaving for the Apple store from work in about 4 hours and I still can't decide what I want haha. I need some good ol' macrumors opinions here for this one. Here is what I'm considering

a 12" Superdrive Powerbook or..
    a 15" Combo Drive Powerbook w/ external burner orrrr
    a 15" Superdrive Powerbook

Now, I am going to be travelling a decent amount next year (about once a month or so for awhile) but when I'm home I am going to hook to my Dell 2005FPW monitor. Also, I play WoW and I would like the game to run as smoothly as possible... but I know that is asking a lot as it still chops up on a dual 2.0 stock powermac due to the GPU. So.. lets here it and if you have other opinions on what I should do let me know. I need some second opinions before I go to the store haha :D

2. Xephian macrumors 6502a

Xephian

I would get the 15" with a superdrive. It's a perfect balance of portability and a desktop computer. 1024x768 is just to small in my opinion.

3. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Get the most you can comfortably afford.

Don't give up movies for a year to get it, but get the most you can with what you've got.

4. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Something inside of me just snapped and I placed my order for a 15" powerbook with 128MB VRAM!!!! I also ordered a 20GB iPod to use with the rabate so I can get $179 off the price of it. WEEEEEE!!

5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

That's awesome! I just placed an order for my iBook G4 1.42 GHz in my sig... on Tuesday last week. Should be here on Friday.

6. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

15" PowerBook.

I wish I had bought the 15" but I chose the 12" because it was just so small and portable, not that the 15" is huge, but its wider and heavier.

For some reason now I'm attracted to the 17" powerbook. I see them all the time on TV and I think- wow those are so cool looking. As dodge (yuk) used to say "Wider is Better".

7. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

and now the waiting begins... hmm I wonder how many time I will check my order status before it gets here haha! All I ask is there are no dead pixels... and if it is pixel perfect I will vow to make it my companion for years to come :D

8. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

Wasn't that Pontiac with the Grand Prix commercials?? lol

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

yes!

10. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Congrats Chrispy! I know that this has been a long time coming!

I have a Rev. C 15in PB, and let me tell you, it's wonderful. Try not to drive yourself crazy waiting for it! :)

11. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Hey all! My iPod shipped yesterday and it will come to me tomorrow at work... oh how I will be looking for the mail lady all day haha. PLUS my powerbook is already in preparing shipment stage! I just hope there are no dead pixels haha.

12. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

If I had the money, I too would have gone for a 15" with 128MB Radeon 9700 maxed out. But that computer would cost twice the amount of money as my 14" iBook which will suit my needs for a couple of years.