Going to Washington D.C.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aricher, May 25, 2006.

1. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

My wife and I are heading to DC for an extended weekend next Thursday (June 1). Outside of the obvious museums and monuments does anyone have any suggestions for things to do, places to eat, etc? Thanks in advance!

2. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

It's been about 10 years since I've lived in DC, so I'm not sure where the hot spots are these days, but one thing to keep in mind is that seeing all of those museums and monuments will have you pretty worn out by dinner time. I usually suggest visitors take it easy in the evenings. If you're hell-bent on nightlife, DC has several first-rate jazz clubs... I think Blues Alley in Georgetown is where most of the "big name" acts play.

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

The WWII memorial was incredible when I went last summer. It wasn't built the last time I had been. Thats probably already on your list though.

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Ben's Chili Bowl, Kennelworth Aquatic Gardens, the National Arboretum, the Peace Cross, the 9:30 Club, the National Cathedral to name a few.... :)

5. exeterbohemian macrumors regular

be sure to check out m street in georgetown... lots of great shopping, places to eat, etc.

6. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

How flexible are you? By that, are you going to drive or are you training it (I know you can get some good deals from Chicago to DC)? If you are driving, you have more flex in goping to suburbia, but you have the hassle of driving unless you are staying outside the city and Metroing in. Look for Gary's Rant On Metro in this forum for general advice regarding the system here.

Places to eat and such. I think I know the area well enough to give a few suggestions. If you are beef eating types, you will want to go to a Five Guys. Kind of like an In-N-Out, but with more burger toppings and no shakes. They are all over the area - it shouldn't be a problem to find one. While near the White House, you may want to stop at the Burrito Cart on the corner of 15/K NW in front of the CVS. The food is vegan/vegetarian (he offers cheese and sour cream) and is amazing. By food, he sells burritos. If you want something to drink, go to the CVS.

If you hit suburbia, I can suggest sandwiches, crabcakes, BBQ, etc. Also, let me know if you think you might spend a day in Baltimore. Feel free to send me an email or PM me, since I have a tendancy to forget to check threads I'm interested in.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Definitely go have a walk around the DuPont Circle area - lots of good places to eat and a really nice part of town.

Odd, but fun places to go?

Second Story Books - 2000 P St. NW

Sala Thai - http://www.salathaidc.com/ (DuPont)

Rosemary's Thyme Bistro - http://www.washingtonian.com/Dining/Profiles/rosemarys.html (DuPont)

I second Chip's Ben's Chili Bowl.

Those are some prime local recommendations that you will not likely find in a guidebook. ;)

You should definitely try to get into Annapolis for a day, and despite the bitching, Metro is the bast way to get around, depending on if you do/do not have a car. Parking in the city is easier than most people would have you believe.

8. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

The problem isn't parking (except on holidays). The problem is if you need gas, it'll take a third mortgage and getting around town is painful, especially at rush hour.

9. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Hmmm, where to start.
    Dupont Circle -
    Kramer Books & After Words. Great little bookstore, outstanding Sunday brunch.
    The Brickskeller: over 1000 beers to choose from and very friendly clientelle (kinda smoky though)

Capital Hill
    The Two Quail: Great little restaurant, converted town house, every chair looks like it comes out of the intro to Masterpiece Theater. The food is outstanding and pretty fancy, not cheap, but not outrageous.

Currently, there's a Jim Henson Exhibit at one the Smithsonian Museums, can't remember which but that aught to be worth a quick stop in.

DON'T DRIVE. unless you want to understand why ppl support the use of nuclear weapons.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

I second Kramers and Brickskeller. ;)

11. exeterbohemian macrumors regular

...apex, anyone?

12. iGary Guest

iGary

Out of business. :(

13. exeterbohemian macrumors regular

since when?

i've never actually been, but my friends talk about it constantly.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

Last year - you are talking about the theater, right, not Ex-Badlands?

I saw the directors cut of Donnie Darko a couple of years back there. Nothing like eating and drinking booze whilst watching a movie. :)

15. aricher thread starter macrumors 68020

aricher

Wow - thanks for all the great recommendations everyone. We won't be driving and plan on taking the Metro/cabs everywhere. Living in Chicago we're pretty used to the public transit thing. We're also only there for 4 days and know to not try to do everything - we'll be back sometime. We're pretty omnivorous so all the restaurants/bars sound great and we'll check out as many as possible. Neither my wife or I have been to DC since we were kids and it was something she wanted to do for her 33rd birthday weekend. I've had everyone at work throwing suggestions my direction (WWII mem./Holocost mem, etc) but I figured I could pick up some really good tips for the kind folks here. If anyone thinks of anything else to add to the list please do so. Thanks again.

16. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

enjoy your visit. Have tons of fun. beware of Kennedies when walking at night.

17. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

Dinner:Cafe Atlantico, best pre-theater menu in town (save you some cash). amazing mohitos.
    Brunch:Kramer Books, Afterwards Cafe- this will help you knock out DuPont as well.
    Coffee: Murkys, near Eastern Market, also worth seeing.

See: National Cathedral- often overlooked, impressively beautiful. Same goes for the Catholic Basilica

Do: Kennedy Center Millenium Stage on Friday afternoons- free shows. can't beat that.
    Do: Email me if you need more specific information, I've lived in town for going on 7years now.

18. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I'm guessing they aren't/weren't affiliated with the Apex in Baltimore?

19. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

If you want a nice (but somewhat expensive) place to go for her actual 33rd birthday you may want to consider 1789. While you're over there you can walk (or fall) down the Exorcist stairs. :D

20. aricher thread starter macrumors 68020

aricher

LOL - that is hilarious. When I was in DC as a child in the late 70s my mom and I saw Ted Kennedy with a tarted-up bimbo on the steps of the Lincoln memorial. My mom pointed him out and I said, "is that his wife?" My mom didn't quite know how to explain it. Ah what a twisted web we weave.

floriflee - thanks for the "1789" suggestion - I was just to ask about fine dining for the birthday night out. Is it very dressy or casual?

21. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

It's a little more on the dressy side. Men have to wear a jacket--it's part of their dress code. If you don't have one they'll provide one for you. You don't have to be dressed to the nines, but you do have to be nicely dressed. There are no special requirements for the women, but she'll want to be nicely dressed.

Other fine dining places are Capital Grille (which, depending on who you talk to is overrated), Old Ebbitt Grill, Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, Bombay Club and Citronelle. There's also The Inn at Little Washington, but that is $$$$$$ and down in VA. Supposed to be REALLY good, though, from what I hear.

As for the rest, I can personally speak for Ruth's Chris--it's very good (but no Blackies, which is now out of business), and the Bombay Club got good reviews from the hubby's parents. Citronelle is always on the top rated restaurants list of various review sites, and we've heard that Old Ebbitt's is good (been meaning to go--maybe for restaurant week....)
    If you need more suggestions I can pull out our book of 2005 Zagat rated restaurants. :)

22. iGary Guest

iGary

Don't think so, but don't know for sure. This was a little two-theater place that had a nice bar, cafee outside, and a balcony in each theater where you could get served diinner and drinks while the movie played (usually independent films). Best part was it was noly a block from our place.

23. aricher thread starter macrumors 68020

aricher

Thanks for the heads-up. I made a fool of myself once at the Rainbow Room in NYC by not wearing a jacket. Nothing like wearing an oversize waiters coat for the whole evening. :eek: No need to consult Zagat's - I htink I have enough to work with here. Thanks.

24. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

1789 is REALLY nice. If you have a fancy dinner budget I could put together a list of favorites
    Teatro Goldoni - Really excellent evening out atmosphere and Very "local" listen to their wine recommendations.
    Smith & Wollensky - prepare to kill yourself b/c it's all downhill after that steak.
    Gerogia Brown's - Far and Away best Mashed Potatoes in DC, plus an outstanding Boubon Selection (Baker's is a personal favorite)

EDIT: is anybody else starving now? Or is just me?