Going wireless, what's the best way?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aus_dave, Jul 14, 2004.

1. aus_dave macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2004
    I have a G5 and a few PCs in one room with a DSL router, all networked with cable and situated at one end of the house. I also use a Powerbook, and plan to plug in an Airport Express unit in the middle of the house somewhere.

Without running more cable, the two options for going wireless as I see it are:

- use the existing router for DSL, with a network cable to an Express unit. Use another Express unit in the middle of the house (where the stereo is :D).​

- get a new wireless DSL router, and use an Express unit in the middle of the house.​

Both options will cost about the same, but option 1 would extend the range of the network which I like. I'm assuming the cabled Express unit can access the DSL connection on the existing router? If not then it's option 2 I guess.

I'm a wireless newbie so any advice on this is appreciated ;).
  2. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    New Jersey USA
    I think the wireless router is a better option. Less config, and better managmnt of DHCP addresses and security. With the APexpress setup, some machines will not network to others easily.
  3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Option 1 is a better solution than 2... but keep reading.

Option 2 might not work, since Apple says Aiport Express will not extend the range of a third-party wifi network, but you can still play music to the Express.

There is a third, more expensive, option using an Airport Extreme base station. The Extreme plugs into the DSL modem, which then acts as a wired and wireless router for your DSL modem and PCs. The Airport Express can then be setup to extend the range of that network, giving you better coverage at the other side of the house.
  4. aus_dave thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2004
    Thanks both of you for your advice.

A new wireless router sounds like the best option. I may not need to extend the network range at all, as the signal is only passing through 1 brick wall and 2 timber walls at most (over about 40-50 feet). Easier config sounds good to me seamuskrat :).

crazyeddie, my current DSL router also has 4 network ports so the Airport Extreme basestation would be a bit of a luxury. If Apple sold a basestation with DSL built-in that would be my ideal product I think :D.