Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeyMAC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
Im planning to get a wireles router to get the imac g5 "one cable" dream true and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a router. Im thinking about this one outpost.com.

The airport pretty expensive but I do want the most powerful router I can get. Any advice?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
That's a very popular router, and should work fine (BTW you need to fix your hyperlink). If you want to be able to print, though, you'll either need to compromise on your dream, pick up a USB print server, or pick another router.

I haven't used the Linksys. I used to have a D-Link wireless router, and now I have an Airport Extreme and an Airport Express. As far as the software interfaces go, the Airport is significantly better designed than the D-Link.

I really like my Airport Extreme; and while it's not cheap it does have a printer port - which is a nice plus. If you've only got one computer, the Airport Express is a nice option too (and fairly inexpensive, especially given the built-in printer port).

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
I have an airport express and love it. You will need one of these unless you want cables or poor iTunes sound quality and no printer.

HeyMAC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
its a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster .

HeyMAC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
Sorry about the double (triple) post but the Linksys router is a 110 dollars cheaper then the airport. I mean is it worth a 110 dollars for an apple logo or is there something im missing.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
HeyMAC said:
Sorry about the double (triple) post but the Linksys router is a 110 dollars cheaper then the airport. I mean is it worth a 110 dollars for an apple logo or is there something im missing.
So its $20? ($10 if you compare prices from macmall). Yeah, I think you need to check prices again, airport express is 119 if you get it at the right place.

HeyMAC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
the airport base (the round deflated globe) is 189.99

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.