going wireless

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by HeyMAC, Oct 2, 2004.

1. HeyMAC macrumors newbie

HeyMAC

Im planning to get a wireles router to get the iMac g5 "one cable" dream true and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a router. Im thinking about this one outpost.com.

The airport pretty expensive but I do want the most powerful router I can get. Any advice?

2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Airport Express. Cheap, and powerfull, and Apple! :)

3. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

That's a very popular router, and should work fine (BTW you need to fix your hyperlink). If you want to be able to print, though, you'll either need to compromise on your dream, pick up a USB print server, or pick another router.

I haven't used the Linksys. I used to have a D-Link wireless router, and now I have an Airport Extreme and an Airport Express. As far as the software interfaces go, the Airport is significantly better designed than the D-Link.

I really like my Airport Extreme; and while it's not cheap it does have a printer port - which is a nice plus. If you've only got one computer, the Airport Express is a nice option too (and fairly inexpensive, especially given the built-in printer port).

4. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

I have an airport express and love it. You will need one of these unless you want cables or poor iTunes sound quality and no printer.

5. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    Thats a great idea, I too am going wireless but with over 200 Macs its very had:)... But the wireless stuff is great...

6. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

7. HeyMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

HeyMAC

its a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster .

8. HeyMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

HeyMAC

Sorry about the double (triple) post but the Linksys router is a 110 dollars cheaper then the airport. I mean is it worth a 110 dollars for an apple logo or is there something im missing.

9. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

So its $20? ($10 if you compare prices from macmall). Yeah, I think you need to check prices again, airport express is 119 if you get it at the right place.

10. HeyMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

HeyMAC

the airport base (the round deflated globe) is 189.99

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

They were talking about Airport Express ($129), not an Airport Extreme Base Station.